Gibson Brands Forums

Whiter Shade of Pale

Buc McMaster

Absolutely one of the iconic songs the 60s. Of course the soaring Hammond organ is very much part of the original Procol Harem recording........but I don't have one and couldn't play it if I did. Still I think it's a great melody (which is why I wanted to give it a go) and though this one is still rough, it might end up working out okay. Have to use the 14-fret 45.........capo-ing at the 6th get things a little crowded on the 12-fret. The starting C shape works best to get to all the descending chords and the 6th fret is where it seems to be best vocally. Got to work on the breathing.........a Hammond organ doesn't have to take a breath, but I do! Still a work in progress, just a day into it.............but here we go!

EDIT: New take without being plugged in, shot with the iPad, and on the 12-fret 45. It does get a little tight up there at the 6th fret but I'm learning to work around it. Punted a note or two........ For the time being I'm digging the short-necked model more than the 14-fret J-45 Vintage........it just feels very compact and comfortable to hold and play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R6UvVTb_t4

HA! you dog

Woof woof!

Thanks for listening! With a few more days' work I might give this a go at the Sunday open mic...........which I haven't been to in 5 or 6 weeks now. Trying to squeeze it in on the 12-fretter......sure love the little short-neck 45 but the neck heel gets in the way a bit........

It's good to be bit by the playing/singing bug again.

.......one of those songs I've always loved but never bothered to attempt it thinking it wouldn't carry over to guitar successfully.

Yep......and one of the reasons I wanted to try it. Not something you would expect to hear on solo acoustic guitar..........I like to surprise people.

Did another take this morning without the amplifier on the J-45 12-fret...........really, really like this little instrument! [thumbup]

You might want to work a bit on your recording set-up. There a bit too much "room" in it, and not enough Buc. You gotta show off them pipes while you got'em.

Thanks, Nick.......appreciate that. Thanks for listening! (Hell, I miss the Hammond myself!)

I agree that my recording methods are less than optimal, and despite what some may think, my motivation for this kind thing is posterity, not adoration. To quote a line from a lyric I wrote long ago, the day will come when my eyes no longer see. I'm not a spring chicken and have not been so kind to my body over the years.......so for my wife, my brothers and their families and my friends......these videos are for them. Need not be fancy......just an honest expression of what it was to be me, doing what I love. There will come a day when this is all that's left of me.......and I'm okay with that.

Thanks, Nick.......appreciate that. Thanks for listening! (Hell, I miss the Hammond myself!)

I agree that my recording methods are less than optimal, and despite what some may think, my motivation for this kind thing is posterity, not adoration. To quote a line from a lyric I wrote long ago, the day will come when my eyes no longer see. I'm not a spring chicken and have not been so kind to my body over the years.......so for my wife, my brothers and their families and my friends......these videos are for them. Need not be fancy......just an honest expression of what it was to be me, doing what I love. There will come a day when this is all that's left of me.......and I'm okay with that.

Nicks relatives are getting a boat

The same might well be said about horses, my friends😄

Yes, indeed. In some ways, they're worse. You can put a boat away for the winter, and not worry about it.

For some reason, horses expect to be fed, watered, and have their stalls cleaned every day.

Anything associated with animals and crops is just another form of indentured servitude. (I come from a long line of farmers.)

Guitars are much better. As long as you put them away clean and protected from the vagaries of weather and climate, they will sit there quietly and safely until you decide to take them out for a ride again.

Archived