Gibson Brands Forums

Oh, The Tone , Dexter, Oh The Tone!

BluesKing777

Spookie!

Or, you could just mic your guitar when you play. ( I know, that can be a pain in the butt.)

Could use the mic....did most of my life...would rather eat a dog doo than do that again! [mellow]

Just can never get any 'level'. OK for the cafe. But go on a pro stage..eg outside concert and they have

LEVEL

that you just wouldn't believe and the mic goes.....shreeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk until you give up and get them to stop it somehow!

If this thingo sold here - doesn't yet- it would be MINE!

BluesKing777.

That sounds GREAT...super impressed. Not stupid money either. I'm curious as to why the Pro model they used in the videos isn't the one on sale though. Looks like it would be the one to have.

Heimholz resonance, the thing that drives both this and the Aura systems, is a really interesting science and the thing that is gradually revolutionising acoustic amplification.

The thing that will hold back sales of ToneDexter is that it's only ever going to be as good as the mic plugged into it. How many players who don't have home recording facilities will buy this, plug a $20 Radio Shack mic into it, then complain that it sucks?

Personally, I'd hire a studio for an hour and hook it up with some choice mics, maybe a vintage U87, and run all my acoustics through the training process on different patches.

That sounds GREAT...super impressed. Not stupid money either. I'm curious as to why the Pro model they used in the videos isn't the one on sale though. Looks like it would be the one to have.

Heimholz resonance, the thing that drives both this and the Aura systems, is a really interesting science and the thing that is gradually revolutionising acoustic amplification.

The thing that will hold back sales of ToneDexter is that it's only ever going to be as good as the mic plugged into it. How many players who don't have home recording facilities will buy this, plug a $20 Radio Shack mic into it, then complain that it sucks?

Personally, I'd hire a studio for an hour and hook it up with some choice mics, maybe a vintage U87, and run all my acoustics through the training process on different patches.

Thought I'd chime in to answer questions about ToneDexter. The pro model was actually just a prototype. It turned out to be too expensive to manufacture, so it was abandoned and the whole thing was redesigned into what is available now. Performance is actually better. We settled on simple bass and treble controls because none of the beta testers ending up needing the 3 band parametric EQ. Once ToneDexter trains up on your particular guitar/pickup combo, and matches it very closely to the mic sound you give it during training, the EQ problem is fixed.

Using a modest neutral sounding small diaphragm mic in the $100 to $300 range will give results as good any. You don't need a good room either, as almost none of the room sound is captured. And, it trains right through background noise (i.e. the NAMM show floor) which has no effect on the result.

Thought I'd chime in to answer questions about ToneDexter. The pro model was actually just a prototype. It turned out to be too expensive to manufacture, so it was abandoned and the whole thing was redesigned into what is available now. Performance is actually better. We settled on simple bass and treble controls because none of the beta testers ending up needing the 3 band parametric EQ. Once ToneDexter trains up on your particular guitar/pickup combo, and matches it very closely to the mic sound you give it during training, the EQ problem is fixed.

Using a modest neutral sounding small diaphragm mic in the $100 to $300 range will give results as good any. You don't need a good room either, as almost none of the room sound is captured. And, it trains right through background noise (i.e. the NAMM show floor) which has no effect on the result.

Hi James, thanks for chiming in! It looks like a great product. Is it available in the UK? I would be using either an AKG C1000S or Rode NT1A mic with it if I was training it at home. Would these give suitable results, do you think?

I'm currently a Fishman Aura user and, whilst I'm happy with the Aura system, this looks like a significant leap in tech and tone.

Hi James, thanks for chiming in! It looks like a great product. Is it available in the UK? I would be using either an AKG C1000S or Rode NT1A mic with it if I was training it at home. Would these give suitable results, do you think?

I'm currently a Fishman Aura user and, whilst I'm happy with the Aura system, this looks like a significant leap in tech and tone.

We are starting to ship to Europe, on a small scale. If you are serious about buying, send me an email with a ship to address and I'll provide a quote including shipping. james at audiosprockets.com

It is extremely good of James May to join in!

Welcome!

(Lucky we didn't talk about him behind his back [unsure] !)

So I am interested in the Tonedexter because, to me, it could be like making my own Aura (Fishman) sound images - they only have the real mainstream guitars in their gallery, so for example, my Gibson Blues King L-00 has a Baggs pickup but not anything even close to a 'bubinga body/sitka top L-00' sound image in their gallery. The J45 has a number of images and it one of the best of my setup that I have downloaded. I also have the Martin with inbuilt Aura system - a step better again! Superb.

Now another small complaint I could have ahead of time and I don't know if this is fixable.... On another gadget I had years ago (Line 6 Pod?), when you saved 'setups', you could enter a name, so later you knew or had a clue what you had saved. On my Boss VE-8, you can save many 'setups' but only in the 1,2,3,etc format - months later and you have no idea what it is! Is there any way this can be addressed? (without writing everything on a piece of paper!).

BluesKing777.

It is extremely good of James May to join in!

Welcome!

(Lucky we didn't talk about him behind his back [unsure] !)

So I am interested in the Tonedexter because, to me, it could be like making my own Aura (Fishman) sound images - they only have the real mainstream guitars in their gallery, so for example, my Gibson Blues King L-00 has a Baggs pickup but not anything even close to a 'bubinga body/sitka top L-00' sound image in their gallery. The J45 has a number of images and it one of the best of my setup that I have downloaded. I also have the Martin with inbuilt Aura system - a step better again! Superb.

Now another small complaint I could have ahead of time and I don't know if this is fixable.... On another gadget I had years ago (Line 6 Pod?), when you saved 'setups', you could enter a name, so later you knew or had a clue what you had saved. On my Boss VE-8, you can save many 'setups' but only in the 1,2,3,etc format - months later and you have no idea what it is! Is there any way this can be addressed? (without writing everything on a piece of paper!).

BluesKing777.

We think you'll find that making your own WaveMaps (presets) makes all the difference in the world to getting great results. As for the preset naming, we just have a simple numeric display, nothing fancy, simply 1-22. In the near future, we plan on upgrading the code to allow users to get WaveMaps in and out of the box via the SD card. That way, with the help of your computer, you can archive and backup and reload them as desired.

Archived