Gibson Brands Forums

Do you Belive this Story?

IanHenry

You see, he has to go with this story. This is what he told his girlfriend/wife/significant other. "Hey, I got this guitar for 80! An unopened case at an auction! Seriously!!"

Meanwhile, previously at the guitar store: "Hey, 1200? That's a good deal. I just can't let my girlfriend/wife/significant other know how much I really paid." Then, the guy points to this sign in the store:

21768265_1426659924107787_6360807077181836217_n.jpg?oh=4f79bca393e30ef03d2880f458932cb4&oe=5A867C22

I saw this vid before, don't recall if it was on Gibson forum or somewhere else.

He does a convincing job of selling that he didn't know what was in there and paid 80 quid for it.

What makes it hard to believe to me is that the "auction house" wouldn't open the case, see what was in there and let people bid on a known product. They would've made a larger commission that way, so doesn't seem to make sense [confused]

What makes it hard to believe to me is that the "auction house" wouldn't open the case, see what was in there and let people bid on a known product...

Yup.

Whole thing is obviously total nonsense start to finish but I'm sure if the vid-clip as posted garners 2 million clicks the OP couldn't give a toss about 'Truth'.

P.

I saw this vid before, don't recall if it was on Gibson forum or somewhere else.

He does a convincing job of selling that he didn't know what was in there and paid 80 quid for it.

What makes it hard to believe to me is that the "auction house" wouldn't open the case, see what was in there and let people bid on a known product. They would've made a larger commission that way, so doesn't seem to make sense [confused]

I worked in an auction house. Only ours wasnt typical, we bought companies and auctioned out their stuff. I can tell you this video is most likely true. He pulled a studio, great guitar, but lets be real, its only a 1k score, maybe 800 tops if its Faded. Ive gotten pieces of art for 5 bucks and i bought a hasslblad camera for 100 that ended up worth 2,000 used! Yeah, used lol. They didnt have time to find an expert in every single item, they dealt in bulk, but i did tell my boss it was worth more than my bid and he let me have it for the high bid anyways.

To make the assumption every auction house always knows the value of every item would be dumb, lots of them get hosed. Many buy fake art, counterfeits and many take a big hit on cubic zirconias because they tested positive for diamonds back in the day. We usually popped locks, but if we didnt think it was worth a lot, we didnt bother or if we thought we might damage the case or contents we didnt bother.

Not trying to brag, but i have scored twice as much as this guy for 20 bucks more when i got the hasselblad.

I worked in an auction house....We usually popped locks, but if we didnt think it was worth a lot, we didnt bother...

This is the first bit in the OP's clip which makes me incredulous.

I can't believe an auction house wouldn't open what is clearly a very full Gibson guitar case. It's like having a box stamped with the Rolex logo but not bothering to check to see whether there's a Rolex watch inside.

Secondly he claims the case was locked with a padlock which he removed with a couple of pairs of pliers. "Maybe (he muses) I should have done that as part of the video..."

I for one would LOVE to know whereabouts on the case the padlock was fitted. There is nowhere on that style of Gibson case where a padlock could be used to secure any of the latches and there are no signs whatsoever that the case once had, say, a hasp-and-staple unit.

Pip.

I for one would LOVE to know whereabouts on the case the padlock was fitted

on the black gibson cases, there is usually a place to put a lock (a metal loop) on the hasp that's in front of the accessory pocket my sg case is exactly like this

...on the black gibson cases, there is usually a place to put a lock (a metal loop) on the hasp that's in front of the accessory pocket my sg case is exactly like this...

Really, KB? In which case I stand corrected.

Not one of my own Gibson cases - including a black one - has such a hasp but, as we know, "specifications are subject to change"!

(I still don't believe the story, though...)

Pip.

My 81 Gibson V case has a lock on it. I used to have a key for it as well. My friend and former guitar teacher noticed it, asked about the lock and I showed him the key. He said, "What's a villain to do if he sees your guitar in the case, sees the lock on it? Would he say, "Curses! I've been foiled!" This is the same guy that said "Garage bands leave cars homeless."

Really, KB? In which case I stand corrected.

Not one of my own Gibson cases - including a black one - has such a hasp but, as we know, "specifications are subject to change"!

(I still don't believe the story, though...)

Pip.

hey Pip..

yea--- I think he's full a blarney myself. at the very least, there's no way the guy would have stopped, after cutting the lock, to get his cell phone out, before opening the case to take a peek.. and there is no way on God's green earth he would think it was empty with an 8/9 lb guitar in there.

if it's on the internet, why it must be true..

but anyways,,My SG Standard case (black / white interior) has the loop on the hasp, where as my SG Classic case, (black / gray interior) has the combo lock. So it's not ALL black cases, the SG Standard was a 2012 model. J200 case has the loop too, All my other gibson cases have the combo lock.

This is the first bit in the OP's clip which makes me incredulous.

I can't believe an auction house wouldn't open what is clearly a very full Gibson guitar case. It's like having a box stamped with the Rolex logo but not bothering to check to see whether there's a Rolex watch inside.

Secondly he claims the case was locked with a padlock which he removed with a couple of pairs of pliers. "Maybe (he muses) I should have done that as part of the video..."

I for one would LOVE to know whereabouts on the case the padlock was fitted. There is nowhere on that style of Gibson case where a padlock could be used to secure any of the latches and there are no signs whatsoever that the case once had, say, a hasp-and-staple unit.

Pip.

Because if its an epiphone or cheap knockoff, its worth far less. The name on the case is the lure to sucker people into a high bid. You could also tell its a modern case, the odds of finding a 59 les paul or anything of real value are probably out the window at that point.

Archived