Gibson Brands Forums

my les paul makes alot of static hum when I am not touching the strings

mr.chEn

after reading some older posts on the forums it seems to be a grounding issue, however that doesnt fix the problem that there is still a trace amount of hum even when the volume knobs are rolled all the way off.. either way, how do I fix the grounding issues?

Grounding issues are difficult, because you don't really know where the ground fault is, so basically check every connection, my guess is its at the switch or the output jack. It's even somewhat possible it's in the pickups themselves, in any event its going to be a pain and unless you like the messing around with the wiring in a 2 grand+ guitar I'd say pass it off to a tech

There might be some interference around. There is no such thing as a perfect "humbucker." It may be due to a number of factors in and around your house. Try plugging it in at different locations around the house or use another amp if you can. Did you just notice it or has it always been there? It may be an electrical issue (impedance regulator on the fritz or something). Are you next to a computer monitor, fluorescent lights, metal poles (that used to be a killer for us when practicing in our basement), etc.? Anyhow, start off being trying to get into an clean (interference free) zone.

There might be some interference around. There is no such thing as a perfect "humbucker." It may be due to a number of factors in and around your house. Try plugging it in at different locations around the house or if you can use another amp. Did you just notice it or has it always been there? It may be an electrical issue (impedance regulator on the fritz or something).

i have had this problem elsewhere, including columbia college during a rehearsal, it was bad the band director would have to talk over this annoying little buzz i could do nothing about, is there anyway I can check where the grounding has gone bad?

i have had this problem elsewhere' date=' including columbia college during a rehearsal, it was bad the band director would have to talk over this annoying little buzz i could do nothing about, is there anyway I can check where the grounding has gone bad?[/quote']

OK, let's start from the beginning. Environment may not be an issue. Did you replace the chords? Did you use a different amp? Does it get worse when you get closer to your amp? Are you using any pedals? Try to isolate where the problem is first and then work from there.

OK' date=' let's start from the beginning. Environment may not be an issue. Did you replace the chords? Did you use a different amp? Are you using any pedals? Try to isolate where the problem is first and then work from there.[/quote']

its definatly a guitar issue ive used different amps including SS and tubes, different chords including a 50 dollar mogami cable and a proline cheapie, and its going straight into the amp

its definatly a guitar issue ive used different amps including SS and tubes' date=' different chords including a 50 dollar mogami cable and a proline cheapie, and its going straight into the amp[/quote']

Well, I'm with rmngretsch14. For about $40-$50 I'd have a tech look at it. Unless you really know what you are doing, let an expert fix it for you. I've fixed a lot of problems with my Sonex over the years but I'm not comfortable doing that level of work on my Les Pauls yet. Better to be safe with a tech than sorry on a fine instrument like that...

I've had this problem with both my Les Paul BFG and Flying V. I shielded the cavities with aluminum tape and it made a huge improvement. You can use copper tape or shielding paint, which may be better, but aluminum tape is all that I had available. If you do shield the cavities, make sure to shield the cover and ground the shielding to the back of a pot. Since you can't solder aluminum, I have the ground attached to the pot and between the cavities lip and the shielded cover.

Archived