Gibson Brands Forums

Visiting Chicago in a couple weeks

Dub-T-123

Hey guys as the title says I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks. My girlfriend is going for school and I am tagging along and will have a lot of free time during the day while she is with her class.

Chicago Music Exchange is on the list, along with some suggestions from our old friend EVOL of course.

I would love to hear any other suggestions from you guys on places to check out. I'm interested in seeing things related to Chicago blues guys like Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Mike Bloomfield, etc so any suggestions about that are welcome, but generally I would like to see anything that you guys think is significant

Also if anyone wants to meet up and grab a beer or check out some guitars or whatever hit me up!

Thanks

There is so much great food in Chicago, still every time I go I hit Portillo's and get a couple of fully loaded Chicago dogs.

I've been to Blue Chicago a couple of times, I liked it but the bands I saw were more refined than those I have seen at Beale Street in Memphis, but I'd recommend it for sure.

http://www.bluechicago.com/

P.S. it is only a few blocks from a Portillo's, hehehe

Buddy Guy's place is another good choice.

Chess Studios is on 2120 South Michigan, I have not been but it is only list for next time I go. Looks like they give tours.

http://www.bluesheaven.com/historic-chess-studios.html

I have even toured a old fancy Cemetery that was pretty cool. Don't remember the name but it is on the north side.

There is also Kuma's Burgers, they sell massive burgers and it is a heavy metal place, burgers are named after bands. I've had the Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath burgers, there is one named after High on Fire.

Yeah, you gotta have some of that upside down pizza and a few hot dogs. Then I'm sure EVOL can steer you away from the touristy stuff. If you are into architecture there are some great Frank Lloyd Wright homes out in Oak Park - and of course the Robie House is in Hyde Park right by the University.

If you do eat pizza ask Evol, some of the touristy places have gone downhill and it is flat out not worth it. I went to Gino's east and had pretty disappointing pizza. It always has been good, later that day talking to a local in a bar he said that now they do frozen pizza and that is exactly how it tasted not to mention the lower quality ingredients.

Where exactly are you staying?

Pizzeria Uno or Due are solid if you want the stuffed pizza.

I'd recommend Al's beef or most neighborhood beef/hotdog places for an Italian beef sandwich.

If you are a fan of craft beer/breweries, there is Revolution Brewing restaurant in Logan Square. Great food, beer and seasoned bacon popcorn. Theres also Lagunitas brewery on the southwest side.

The architectural boat tour downtown is great but it may be a little too chilly for that.

Where exactly are you staying?

It's hard for me to say without sounding dumb since I have never been there, but I just checked on the map and we are right around the corner from the Lagunitas brewery (which is really exciting!!)

Really appreciate the suggestions guys! And Riffster thanks for the heads up about Gino's too. The recommended pizza places look so good [drool] There is actually a Portillo's here in California which is awesome but I am excited to check out the original

I am especially excited about the breweries. Revolution Brewing sounds awesome, and I really want to check out Lagunitas and Goose Island too.

Will be there in less than 2 weeks, can't wait!!

I am especially excited about the breweries. Revolution Brewing sounds awesome, and I really want to check out Lagunitas and Goose Island too.

Mmmmm... love me some Lagunitas! The Brown Shugga' is heaven in a bottle. But you gotta watch out it's like 9% ABV. Good thing it's close to the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a lot of years since I've been to Chicago, but I remember a few things:

Cold as hell in the winter

Great restaurants

High Murder rate

Other than that...enjoy your trip! (Yeah, I'm a warm weather guy) but seriously, it's a great city.

EVOL came and met me for a couple beers last night. What a great guy, that was fun!

Dennis G I’ve lived in Orange County my whole life so I’m used to warm weather, but it’s not too cold here at all right now. I’d probably need to dress like an Eskimo by next month though

At the Lagunitas brewery they are giving out free beers and they have a bunch of synths set up for the customers to play with!!

Best day ever!!

Swoon... [love]

Do they have the Brown Shugga? That sh!t's like manna from heaven.

Had to pop back in to say thanks for the suggestions and we had a really wonderful time in Chicago

It’d be hard to condense all the great stuff into an interesting post. In terms of things most relevant to the forum, it was awesome meeting with EVOL, Pequod’s pizza is the best deep dish in the universe, Lagunitas and Half Acre breweries are like heaven, and I left Chicago Music Exchange with a very strong desire for one of their Martins [love]

Archived