Gibson Brands Forums

Hugh Hefner R.I.P

LarryUK

R.I.P. (maybe) a unique and slightly controversial legend.....dry.gif

Interesting to know what women in general thought about him and his 'work'.....[biggrin]

Seemed to enjoy life and offered employment for a different kind of waitressing.....

Made a lot of money in a reasonably legal sort of way....

I'll ask Mrs V later for her opinion.....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I was a little hoodlum when I was young. my neighbor had several loose boards on the side of his garage next to our fence. I could slide them out of the way and worm my way into his garage. I was maybe 10 yrs old. I crawled in there one day and climbed the stairs of the loft in the garage. there was an old chest / case up there. opened it up. it was filled with Playboy magazines. it was like in Pulp Fiction, with a Golden glow emanating from the case. spent that summer in my tree house smoking camels and flipping through stolen Playboys.

i remember sitting in our "fort" with a bunch of other kids looking at a magazine my neighbor friend had nicked from his dad. it had a few dozen poy pics in it, going back through the years between playboy's inception, and when ever that was, about1975-ish. i can clearly remember one of the other boys looking through the pics and saying, ohh yeah, i like that one, or ewww she's gross... being about 10 or 12 none of us had any idea about hypergamy, let alone the fact those women didn't really exist. what i mean is, lighting, make up, camera and film tricks, those women didn't stink up the bathroom, or get mad at you, or cheat on you, and they had their own money, were always somehow the best at whatever they did. they didn't try to eat most of your fries when they refused to order their own just 3 minutes ago, and you even reminded them that they do this every time. no, these women weren't like that. but to 99.9% of us, they remained in the only place they could possibly have existed. on the glossy pages of a magazine. a magazine that was dangerous, exciting and intriguing. no boy could resist looking at one in awe and wonder. but to be caught with one by an adult was one of the scariest thoughts a boy can have. the shame you somehow new you would feel if your mom knew you were looking at those women with those thoughts in your head! oh man, the horror of it, the absolute fear! until it happened, and turned out for some, to be not nearly as bad as we thought.

My Dad, perv that he was rolleyes.gif, was a card carrying member of The Playboy Club. Unless I'm imagining it, we stayed at The Playboy Hotel in Atlantic City one year. eusa_think.gif

When I was a kid, I knew where my dad had a stash of magazines out in the garage. I had a friend who was about 2 years ahead of me on the puberty scale. I'm guessing I was in 5th or 6th grade, and he was in 7th or 8th grade. When he found about my access to this stash of magazines, we suddenly became great friends. We would sneak one or two out at a time and look through them and hide them up in the wheel well of an old car my dad had next to the house. One day he went to the hiding place by himself, and my dad saw him sneaking around the car. When he asked what he was doing, my friend said "Looking for Jay". My dad said "he's not under the car" and chased him away. Of course he investigated around the car and discovered our stash and they were all damp and water damaged. I got a good "talking to" later that day.

Anyway, RIP Hef

I read a retrospective on Hugh on msn or somewhere similar.....

He had a very high IQ.....if that means anything

Was a gifted author in several genres

Held a degree in Psychology

Could draw cartoons

Started his career at Esquire magazine.....left after his request for a raise was refused

Started his own magazine.....:blink:

V

:-({|=

Archived