Gibson Brands Forums

Nashville guitar repairman / luthier

livemusic

Definitely considering getting my 2010 J45 set up properly, never was done. Even if it means changing the nut/saddle. Whatever. I have used Glaser instruments in Nashville a few times before. They do good work but I am wanting to try another shop. Anyone come to mind? It seems I recall somebody recommending someone known for Gibson repair, or affiliated with Gibson. I am not locked into that idea, just worth mentioning. I want someone in the Nashville area or reasonably close, as I go there, it's convenient.

I think that's just electric?

Gibson Repair & Restoration handles all types of repairs on all types and brands of guitars; see some examples of their work at http://www.gibson.com/Support/Repair-and-Restoration/Repair-Columns.aspx

Gibson Repair & Restoration

138 12th Ave North

Nashville, Tn. 37203

Phone: (800) 4-GIBSON ext 2284; (615) 871-4500 ext 2284

Fax: (615) 469-3622

Email: repairrequest@gibson.com

While it's good that Gibson has a repair/restoration facility, it would be my guess that their version of a setup is to factory spec, which is what your guitar is setup to already. Most of their work appears to be restoration of severely damaged instruments bought back to spec by the company that built them in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'd look elsewhere.

I didn't realize Gibson had a repair facility there. I only take my guitars to Gibson's authorized repair-person in Chicagoland. But, I do my own set-ups, so it's for everything else.

My suggestion is call Gibson and call Gruhn's shop in Nashville and talk to them. Find out their turn around time, approach, price, etc. then you'll know which one you are most comfortable with for a set up.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I was hoping to get the name of an individual known for great work. Just taking it to a shop is less appealing. I have no idea who will work on it. It would be nice to find someone who is recognized as really skilled at it and knows the J45.

I was hoping to get the name of an individual known for great work. Just taking it to a shop is less appealing. I have no idea who will work on it. It would be nice to find someone who is recognized as really skilled at it and knows the J45.

You are thinking correctly, Bill. Shops are for selling the things! Get a few names of top people and check them on the internet.

I have a J45 standard and had it set up by a great local guy, no help to you, but getting a good result is worth more research!

Maybe ring Carters, Gruhns, Cotten Music and ask which luthiers they recommend?

BluesKing777.

While it's good that Gibson has a repair/restoration facility, it would be my guess that their version of a setup is to factory spec, which is what your guitar is setup to already. Most of their work appears to be restoration of severely damaged instruments bought back to spec by the company that built them in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'd look elsewhere.

Nope, each repair is treated on a case by case basis, setup however the client prefers. And they work on any brand, not just Gibson. Very talented crew there.

Nope, each repair is treated on a case by case basis, setup however the client prefers. And they work on any brand, not just Gibson. Very talented crew there.

Buc, If you wanna know what we're all about, why not stop in? Bring your guitar, tell use what you're looking for and we'll tell you what we can do. Best time is weekdays, 9 - 2.

Todd Money

Manager

Gibson Repair & Restoration

138 12th Ave North

Nashville, Tn. 37203

(615) 871-4500 ext 2282

800-4-GIBSON ext 2284

Archived