Gibson Brands Forums

I hate Gibson and I hate Guitar Center

generaldreedle

So I stumbled into my local GC and they have an ebony hummingbird on sale for about a third off and a j 200 that's not on sale but there's the whole promo of 48 months no interest. Both sound great, would have to trade in a guitar to get the j 200, still learning bluegrass flatpicking, badly. Anyone want to commiserate, laugh at me, offer their thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Picking one or the other is like shooting ducks in a barrel of honey. You really can't miss-both are timeless classics which will give you a lifetime of pleasure and inspiration.

I own both and couldn't pick one over the other. I've played SJ200s live for many years and most people who come one of my shows expect to see me with one, but I write the most with my Hummingbird. Wonderful easy playing guitars for writing and recording. I wrote my best album to date on an SJ200 though-they're guitars that are just regal and beautiful, and really make you step up as a player and writer, to do the guitar justice as much as anything else.

Stage wise, you can't help but feel like a King/Queen when you walk out onstage wearing an SJ200. Great confidence tool.

Good thread title- I'm sure that got Customer Service's attention.

40Yrs: yes, the PG has held up curiously well. It also looks like it's a quarter of an inch thick… Or maybe that's just the lighting angle, as seen by the scary-long shadow of the bridge pins.

Jinder- good point about playing up to the '200; but it's nice not having it as the daily player- then it's always a special night when that's the one that's going out with you.

Good thread title- I'm sure that got Customer Service's attention.

40Yrs: yes, the PG has held up curiously well. It also looks like it's a quarter of an inch thick… Or maybe that's just the lighting angle, as seen by the scary-long shadow of the bridge pins.

Jinder- good point about playing up to the '200; but it's nice not having it as the daily player- then it's always a special night when that's the one that's going out with you.

Indeed it did!

Give in to your hate ;)

Anne can you expound on your versatility opinion?

Actually, I am really only comparing my maple long-scale (j100)/hog short-scale (j45) options. I find my J100 can do everything my J45 can, but not vice-versa. I can only guess why that is, and I don't really know squat about how your particular options would compare.

Have fun living with each for a day- sounds like you can't go wrong. My advice would be to play them with your eyes closed---compare the sound and the feel, then see if one speaks to you more directly than the other.

Good luck!

I have the Hummingbird at home at the moment, the Martin D28 and the J45 Custom sound bright compared to the hummingbird, I'm glad I have it at home for a bit, at first I thought it wasn't anywhere near as nice as the other two, but now the tone is starting to grow on me. The SJ 200 Vintage sounded amazing in the store, though, that's coming home next.

A j200 is a cowboy guitar a hummingbird is a soft mellow sometimes twangy enough to fit the need of a rock star .i own both like both very much

I wonder what you mean by "Cowboy" Guitar I have three acoustics, and I find that fact it's a very versatile guitar and you can do anything you want to do with it.

There's a lot to these guitars don't cut em short.. aint just fer cowboy chordin...

Archived