Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar weights

MichaelT

Just for fun I bought a small kitchen scale to weigh my guitars and thought I'd share the weight of my guitars. These are all the ones I own at this time.

2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard Bourbon Burst: 8 lbs 5 oz

2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute Goldtop w/P90s: 8 lbs 15 oz

1981 Gibson "The V": 8 lbs 9 oz

2007 Gibson Flying V Faded White Three Pickups: 7 lbs 1 oz

1980 Dixon V: 8 lbs 2 oz (I'm not sure of the year but I bought it in 1983)

Squier Strat: 7 lbs 9 oz (I don't know the year)

2015 Oscar Schmidt OC11CE Classical acoustic/electric: 4 lbs 8 oz

It felt like the Tribute was heavier but I didn't know it was my heaviest guitar. I figured my 81 V with mahogany body and maple top would be heavier, due to all the wood of the V body. I guess having the pot cavity carved out the way it is cut back some weight and it's a little thinner than a Les Paul. I knew my 2007 Faded V was the lightest electric. You can definitely feel the difference.

Interesting. I would have thought the weight relieved 2017s would have been even lighter.

I am thinking about a Les Paul Axcess mostly because of not only modern weight relief but thinner and contoured body. I have significant issues with my back that are really dictating what I can do with guitars both standing and sitting, believe it or not.

Interesting. I would have thought the weight relieved 2017s would have been even lighter.

I am thinking about a Les Paul Axcess mostly because of not only modern weight relief but thinner and contoured body. I have significant issues with my back that are really dictating what I can do with guitars both standing and sitting, believe it or not.

my 2014 studio pro was barely over 7 lbs last time i weighed it. lighter than my 06 strat by 1/3rd of a lb. having a lightweight LP is pretty awesome, even without back issues.

my 2014 studio pro was barely over 7 lbs last time i weighed it. lighter than my 06 strat by 1/3rd of a lb. having a lightweight LP is pretty awesome, even without back issues.

Honestly I've worked my way into a gas frenzy over wanting one. Just sold some guitars so now can justify with the wife unit after promising "revenue neutral" status on my guitar fiefdom. [biggrin]

My chambered gold top Classic was closer to 8 lbs (8.3 I think) - but those weights seem close to that range. Not many Les Pauls under 8 lbs that's for sure.

My chambered gold top Classic was closer to 8 lbs (8.3 I think) - but those weights seem close to that range. Not many Les Pauls under 8 lbs that's for sure.

one of the nicest playing guitars my hands have ever touched was a heritage LP. it was on consignment in a local shop for a pretty good price. the weight was the only thing that kept me from buying it. you could have anchored the QE2 with it. that guitar had to be waaayyy over 10 lbs. i dont know the actual weight, but it was far heavier than the traditional i played the same day.

You're right. I should have said I was surprised and also hoping that the weight would be less.

one of the nicest playing guitars my hands have ever touched was a heritage LP. it was on consignment in a local shop for a pretty good price. the weight was the only thing that kept me from buying it. you could have anchored the QE2 with it. that guitar had to be waaayyy over 10 lbs. i dont know the actual weight, but it was far heavier than the traditional i played the same day.

My guitar playing everything changed the day I herniated my L3-4 disc. It hurt to even wear a shirt for a year (I didn't subject people around me to that awful prospect though, I just suffered through it). Now guitar weight is incredibly important to me because guitars are incredibly important to my mental well being.

Mahogany especially varies in density and moisture content from what I understand causing identical models to weigh different amounts.

My 2017 Standard T (ultra modern weight relief) weighs 7 pounds:

a6Na9ii.jpg

My Les Paus Custom Lite weighs 6.5 pounds:

tZyf8s2.jpg

So my Standard which is pretty much the same as Michael's Bourbon Burst weighs about 1.25 pounds less. Fortunately the good website dealers will show the weight of each guitar with the photos. When I bought my Standard from Sweetwater my sales rep said "gee I thought you would've chosen xyz model number because of the flame", I told him I chose based on the lightest one they had. [thumbup]

My swiss-cheese relieved faded standard is nearly 10 lbs... imagine what it would

have weighed with no weight relief. Is it possible that the density of the mahogany

Gibson has in stock determines the style of weight relief they utilize? :-k

InkGjtl.jpg

I'll bet my G&L Legacy hardtail with a one piece maple neck is pushing 10 lbs. I'll have to find a scale and weigh it. I used it for a jam night last night and my back was not happy after the first hour. And now I'm buying a Les Paul Classic with no weight relief. I may have to use a chair for that one!

Archived