Gibson Brands Forums

Fender's new hand-wired Deluxe Reverb

Stu-bud

Fender just released its new '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb, a hand-wired version of the reissue. Has anyone bought one or tried one out? They've been for sale for a few weeks now. Just curious as to how they stack up against a regular '65 reissue.

Fender just released its new '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb, a hand-wired version of the reissue. Has anyone bought one or tried one out? They've been for sale for a few weeks now. Just curious as to how they stack up against a regular '65 reissue.

I haven't tried one. It's a step in the right direction over the printed circuit models, IMO, but the price... ouch. Well worth it for an amp that will last a lifetime, but for the same $2500 you still score a vintage one of the same era. Tough call. Adding the reverb and tremolo to both channels is certainly a bonus of the reissue though. And the demos sure sound great...

I see some cheapo parts in there. At least they're hand wired in place. [laugh]

I'd make or buy a clone first. For $2500 you could build 2 of them with good parts. In fact, you can order this one assembled from Mojotone for $1500 (the kit is only $1100)

http://www.mojotone.com/kits/BlackfaceAmpKits_x/Mojotone-Blackface-Deluxe-Reverb-Style-Amp-Kit_2

You could likely build one for closer to $800 if you sourced the parts yourself and shopped around.

I'd make or buy a clone first. For $2500 you could build 2 of them with good parts. In fact, you can order this one assembled from Mojotone for $1500 (the kit is only $1100)

http://www.mojotone.com/kits/BlackfaceAmpKits_x/Mojotone-Blackface-Deluxe-Reverb-Style-Amp-Kit_2

You could likely build one for closer to $800 if you sourced the parts yourself and shopped around.

I like Mojotone.

[thumbup] I think I'm going to build their 5E3 Tweed Deluxe kit soon. Dub built one and he loves it. And sine I have a SF Deluxe the Tweed circuit will give me something different.

I used a Mojotone chassis and eyelet board but got all the caps, transformers, tubes, speaker, etc elsewhere. I really highly recommend that you build one. My build is probably all around the sweetest sounding amp I've ever used. I can play it for hours with no pedals or anything and just don't get tired of it. I am pretty much waiting for one of my friends to ask me to build them one because I really want to build more but don't want my girlfriend to think I'm crazy for adding another amp to the ever shrinking space

The 5e3 Deluxe is a totally different amp compared to the Deluxe Reverb, the difference is much more than just the addition of reverb and tremolo

Archived