Gibson Brands Forums

LR Baggs Anthem -- Enough is enough, we're moving on...

kidblast

I've finally reached the end of my road with the LR Baggs Anthem pickup that was factory installed in my SJ200.

Ive had issues with these from day 1. My first J200 had to go back immediately as the pickup was defective, static pops, LOTS of them, as the guitar would move against your body while playing, sounded like you lit a string of lady fingers off and dropped in the sound hole. (I have a youtube vid to prove it.. uncanny as it sounds that was a "real" problem.)

The replacement J200 did not have the same problem, but occasionally I would hear rattling coming from inside the guitar.. The rattling has gotten a bit more frequent with more notes causing the sympathetic vibrations, and lately even gotten louder over the last few months.

The last straw was the gig I did on Wednesday, I use ear buds for my monitors, It was driving me mad... It was almost to the point where I was not enjoying playing this guitar as much as I should, plugged or unplugged... Once the rattle is heard guys, trust me, I don't care how OCD you think you are NOT, you cannot unhear this once you hear it. This is a massive PITA..

Finally having my fill I located and called a Gibson Warranty shop that is close by. He took me in right away to look at it, and isolated the problem in about 30 seconds.. I knew it was PRe-amp module but what I didn't know is if it was inside, or just the tape was starting to fail and it was too loosely attached to the top.

He removed the module, and found it was the control wheels making all the noise. (which is kind of what I thought would be the problem all along)

We talked about options:

A: he could open it up and see what could be done (with the control wheels the cause, unless they are glued in place, how do ya fix that?)

B: I could send the module to LR Baggs, and wait for them fix it, with no guarantee it GETS fixed.

C: Rip it out, and replace it with something else.

I quickly arrived at Option C...

He did the work while I waited, (a great guy, whom I discovered over the time to converse, that he and I see the world, music and all things BEER alike, great guy and knows his stuff)

It took him about 25 minutes to remove the anthem, and install the infinity. (which I am very familiar with having two installed in my other acoustics) I just got back to the house a little while ago, and gave it a good ride to make sure... hallelujah, no more unwanted rattling noises,, JUST THE NOTES MAN, JUST THE NOTES.. I'm in love with this guitar all over again.

He also set the action precisely where it was before the swap out.. I mean EXACTLY.. I know because I measure the action,.. I don't care who thinks I'm crazy for doing this, so please don't bother telling me about it.

I am sending the pre-amp module to LR Baggs for them to deal with it, and when I get it back I am selling it. Hopefully recoup some of the $200 I just had to spend to fix the problem. Hopefully they DO fix it and the next owner gets to use in good health. But me and LR Baggs are done. good luck to them they have been very responsive, but for me, it's just not working out with what I've experienced. While the pickup sounded great, the vibrations ruined the hole shebang for me.

For any one interested, or looking for a great luthier in the Central Mass area, look up

Bill Whitsett

Whitsett Guitar Works

122 Western Ave.

Studio B100

Lowell, MA 01851

http://www.whitsettguitarworks.com/

This guy is the BOMB..

While I was there, pondering my options, another customer came in with a similar problem (Vibrations when playing plugged or unplugged) on an import Martin,, it was the battery compartment, he added some foam and the problem went away. He did not charge this guy for his time, which took him 15 minutes to fix. Just told him to give people referrals to his shop. The guy came back a few minutes later with a sandwich from a local sub shop and a 6 pack of beer. Great gesture on his part.

Glad it had a happy ending.It would have been extremely irritating.

I always enjoy hearing about the quality of luthiers you guys have access to.He sounds like a good one.

I had a bottom end Baggs in a Larrivee and the the B string was about 4 times louder than the rest.I tried all the usual fixes and only partially cured it.

I had an identical problem with my SJ200 with the Fishman Aura onboard system. Endless buzzes and rattles and nonsense. Ripped that out and put a Matrix Infinity in, and all has been well with the world ever since. The Matrix Infinity REALLY suits the SJ200 (I had one in my old SJ200 too) and although I loved the tone of the onboard Aura, I get a better tone through my outboard Aura preamp.

Really glad you got your problem sorted. I'm not a fan of systems that put a ton of stuff in the guitar. Much rather keep it simple and do the processing outboard.

I had an SJ-200 Standard for one week last year, returned because of finish defects. The Anthem sounded great. I ended up getting a J-45 Custom and Southern Jumbo with the LR Baggs US pickup only, I hated them, uneven strings, the E strings were much quieter than the rest. Also even though the piezo quack is much less than by gone days, I decide to take them both out. I want nothing in any of my acoustics, I don't gig regularly so I am fine, but I do want to try the new DPA 4099G mic soon.

http://www.dpamicrop...hone-for-guitar

The infinity sounds really good. I don't really miss the anthem. The lack of output in the anthem was a slight annoyance too. I also think the Fishman is clearer sounding. I use a touche of EQ so i am able to get a good sound. But, really.. absence of the rattles has been sublime. I wouldn't have change it out if it wasn't causing me trouble. It did sound good. LR Baggs was quite responsive, so I can't complain about their customer support.

I had an identical problem with my SJ200 with the Fishman Aura onboard system. Endless buzzes and rattles and nonsense. Ripped that out and put a Matrix Infinity in, and all has been well with the world ever since. The Matrix Infinity REALLY suits the SJ200 (I had one in my old SJ200 too) and although I loved the tone of the onboard Aura, I get a better tone through my outboard Aura preamp.

Really glad you got your problem sorted. I'm not a fan of systems that put a ton of stuff in the guitar. Much rather keep it simple and do the processing outboard.

I had the same issue with the Aura on my J200 Standard. Too many moving parts. I stuck the ends of toothpicks in the sliders and buttons to get them to STFU.

It is frustrating the Anthem was such a PITA. On the whole, I like LR Baggs products. If it was just the volume and tone knobs, it is too bad you (the OP) had to rip the whole thing out and couldn't just wire in a new set of wheels.

I had the same issue with the Aura on my J200 Standard. Too many moving parts. I stuck the ends of toothpicks in the sliders and buttons to get them to STFU.

It is frustrating the Anthem was such a PITA. On the whole, I like LR Baggs products. If it was just the volume and tone knobs, it is too bad you (the OP) had to rip the whole thing out and couldn't just wire in a new set of wheels.

it's possible they will fix it, I have an RA# and will send it in, but when that is done, I'm going to sell it. The inifity sounds great, I'm happy with the change. Don't miss the anthem at all.

Just bought a new Advanced Jumbo that came with the LR Baggs Lyric bridge plate microphone, it is pretty sweet, a little honky but I may get a preamp box with EQ to smooth it out.

Ooh very interesting! Is it a Rosewood AJ or one of the newer Maple models?

Archived