• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Jumbo Herringbone

#21 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:39 AM

I find the AJ rewards the experienced player. Its not as forgiving as a Hummingbird or SJ-200. Its very responsive and likes a lighter touch, individual note play rather than full strumming. But once you get a grip of it its highly rewarding in its own way. Not for the faint hearted.

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 11' Hummingbird TV, 08' Dove
The Slopeys 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis), 02' AJ
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#22 User is offline   Stubee 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

I ran D'Addario mediums on my AJ for about 10-11 years, and it sounded great. Switched to D'Addario lights and it sounds just as good. I use the EXPs now, but the plain old PB D'Addarios sounded a bit better.

I was playing my AJ just last night and thinking what I always do: "Man, what a great guitar". Hope you sort yours out.

#23 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostBuc McMaster, on 04 October 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

Choked. I've had medium gauge sets stifle a guitar as well, the additional tension damping the top to a noticeable degree. It may or may not "adjust" to the tension over time.......may be that it needs lights to sound its' best. The AJ is a nice instrument, like a long scale, "big brother" J-45 Custom. Hope it works out to your liking.

It seems to be changing a bit already, It has been at Musician's Friend for over a year in its case, so maybe it is just shy.

#24 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

Just played after supper, like night and day, full loud bass and very punchy. I cant believe that new guitars can be so temperamental. It makes me wonder about all the guitars being dismissed in music stores when they don't sound good when first played.

#25 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

Buc McMaster, on 04 October 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

Choked. I've had medium gauge sets stifle a guitar as well, the additional tension damping the top to a noticeable degree. It may or may not "adjust" to the tension over time.......may be that it needs lights to sound its' best. The AJ is a nice instrument, like a long scale, "big brother" J-45 Custom. Hope it works out to your liking.

Absolutely agree with Buc here. My old AJ HATED medium strings, with the forward shifted bracing you donít need all that tension to get the top humming. The best strings I found for my AJ were Martin SP Lifespan 12-54s. A nice thick sounding string with a bell-like top end that really sang on my AJ.

Iíve got long-term plans to own another, but probably a Maple one this time.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2014 Epiphone IB '64 Texan
2001 Epiphone EL-00 (early L1 shape model)
2003 Takamine EAN20C
1978 Hohner Leyanda 12 String
1998 Fender Classic Series '60s RI Telecaster

#######
www.jinder.co.uk
www.facebook.com/jindermusic

#26 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostJinder, on 07 October 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

Absolutely agree with Buc here. My old AJ HATED medium strings, with the forward shifted bracing you don't need all that tension to get the top humming. The best strings I found for my AJ were Martin SP Lifespan 12-54s. A nice thick sounding string with a bell-like top end that really sang on my AJ.

I've got long-term plans to own another, but probably a Maple one this time.

Mine is coming around. I have been upgrading to an unbleached bone saddle and bone pins. I am also doing my fish glue mod for the pins holes. Gibson and Martin do not taper their holes anymore. I have done this to all my acoustics last winter and the changes are amazing, more of everything. I have everything back together except the b string which needed its hole treated with another layer of glue. If after the mod the pins still wiggle, I add another layer of glue, wait 12 hours and then carefully ream again. The small Tusq pins that came on this guitar had a ridiculous amount of wiggle in their holes. The pins need to be absolutely tight in there for maximum transfer of string energy. Playing without the b string I can already hear this baby coming to life. BTW, the bracing on the AJ is not forward shifted, its X bracing is opened up near the bridge by 5 degrees. It allows a larger bridge plate to be used. I do not have a Maple acoustic, I was contemplating the SJ-200 Vintage but could not get past the rough finish. I stumbled upon the AJ last weekend and then it was a no brainer what to do. I do need to get a Maple guitar at some point. I am definitely a Rosewood Fellow, I have only one Mahogany guitar, my 2016 Southern Jumbo.

#27 User is offline   JWG4927 

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

"Allows for a larger bridge plate"- not necessarily a good thing

maybe next time you are in for the fish glue, measure plate size difference with your southern jumbo

And while in there, measure distance from soundhole or distance from bridge plate distance to the cross brace-

the very reason the model is called the Advanced (as isn forward shifted) Jumbo

#28 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Victory Pete, on 07 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Mine is coming around. I have been upgrading to an unbleached bone saddle and bone pins. I am also doing my fish glue mod for the pins holes. Gibson and Martin do not taper their holes anymore. I have done this to all my acoustics last winter and the changes are amazing, more of everything. I have everything back together except the b string which needed its hole treated with another layer of glue. If after the mod the pins still wiggle, I add another layer of glue, wait 12 hours and then carefully ream again. The small Tusq pins that came on this guitar had a ridiculous amount of wiggle in their holes. The pins need to be absolutely tight in there for maximum transfer of string energy. Playing without the b string I can already hear this baby coming to life. BTW, the bracing on the AJ is not forward shifted, its X bracing is opened up near the bridge by 5 degrees. It allows a larger bridge plate to be used. I do not have a Maple acoustic, I was contemplating the SJ-200 Vintage but could not get past the rough finish. I stumbled upon the AJ last weekend and then it was a no brainer what to do. I do need to get a Maple guitar at some point. I am definitely a Rosewood Fellow, I have only one Mahogany guitar, my 2016 Southern Jumbo.

Very interesting re the fish glue mod! Iím sort of the other way with tonewoods. Iíve always been a Maple player, I love my Dove and SJ200, but Iíve recently found myself heading more towards the land of Mahogany with my Ď41 Reissue SJ100, Ď67 J45 and Ď90 Hummingbird. My Epi Texan is Mahogany too, and I have a Hummingbird 12 string coming my way very soon, but Iím currently entirely Rosewoodless...I need a good parlour to add to the arsenal next year, so Iíd quite like to go in the Rosewood direction with that. Perhaps a RW Nick Lucas, CJ165 or AG.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2003 Takamine EAN20C

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#29 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:00 AM

Victory Pete, on 07 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Very interesting re the fish glue mod! Iím sort of the other way with tonewoods. Iíve always been a Maple player, I love my Dove and SJ200, but Iíve recently found myself heading more towards the land of Mahogany with my Ď41 Reissue SJ100, Ď67 J45 and Ď90 Hummingbird. My Epi Texan is Mahogany too, and I have a Hummingbird 12 string coming my way very soon, but Iím currently entirely Rosewoodless...I need a good parlour to add to the arsenal next year, so Iíd quite like to go in the Rosewood direction with that. Perhaps a RW Nick Lucas, CJ165 or AG.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2003 Takamine EAN20C

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#30 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostJWG4927, on 07 October 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

"Allows for a larger bridge plate"- not necessarily a good thing

maybe next time you are in for the fish glue, measure plate size difference with your southern jumbo

And while in there, measure distance from soundhole or distance from bridge plate distance to the cross brace-

the very reason the model is called the Advanced (as isn forward shifted) Jumbo

Already have 5 strings back on. I would be interested in a comparison though. It seems to have the characteristics of Rear Shifted: Loud and clear treble, the bass seems to be improving each day, especially after the modifications..

#31 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostJinder, on 07 October 2017 - 09:46 AM, said:

Very interesting re the fish glue mod! I'm sort of the other way with tonewoods. I've always been a Maple player, I love my Dove and SJ200, but I've recently found myself heading more towards the land of Mahogany with my '41 Reissue SJ100, '67 J45 and '90 Hummingbird. My Epi Texan is Mahogany too, and I have a Hummingbird 12 string coming my way very soon, but I'm currently entirely Rosewoodless...I need a good parlour to add to the arsenal next year, so I'd quite like to go in the Rosewood direction with that. Perhaps a RW Nick Lucas, CJ165 or AG

I was told by the powers that be that they are making 3 12 strings soon, Here is a quote from the e-mail:

As far as 2018, we are doingsome dramatic color variations on J45ís, HB and J200ís (neon green, pink, bigsky blue, olive green, orange and white), it is not everyoneís cup oftea. Some cooler models are a 12th fret rosewood L00, an Fhole L1 with floating bridge, 12 string HB, Dove and SWís as well as a 1968J200 (only 68 will be made) and this is also the last year of the BobDylan models. This will remind me to bug our website host to update it!

I may be interested in a Gibson 12 String.

#32 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostVictory Pete, on 07 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Here is info from the e-mail I got from Gibson concerning the bracing on the Advanced Jumbo:

. These guitars definitelyhold their own and speak clear as a bell. Any models that have open slotbridges will either have the Lyric, or no electronics at all. Indeed, thebridge is historically accurate and does allow the break angle of the stringsto remain consistent across the board. In regards to the bracing,ďtraditional scalloped bracingĒ appears on all of our models, while the ďWideXĒ bracing is found on J35, AJís and Song Writers. Basically, the Xbracing is not pushed forward, however, it is wider than the typical X bracingby 5 degrees. The idea being that it opens up the section where bridgeplate is located. Allowing for more surface area, and a larger bridgeplate. We describe it as being able to match the dynamic levels of theplayers, and you can really push the volume of strumming and the guitar willkeep pushing out sound. Where as the traditional bracing will eventuallyďcompressĒ like a warm tube amp.

#33 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

Got the new Advanced Jumbo all set up with new bone saddle and pins. It sounds great now.

https://www.facebook...453558458012497

#34 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:21 AM

Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:22 AM

Posted Image

#36 User is offline   j45nick 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

That's a gorgeous guitar.

#37 User is offline   Victory Pete 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:48 AM

View Postj45nick, on 08 October 2017 - 06:19 AM, said:

That's a gorgeous guitar.

Yes it is, I am afraid I am getting a bit "immune" to all this beauty, I now have 5 2016 Gibson Sunbursts in my Harem.

#38 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

I agree with nick
Itís a very cool lookin guitar 👍🏻

#39 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

VERY interesting that thereís a 12 string Dove on the way. I love my Dove but would imagine the Maple dread format would be a bit zingmungous for a 12er.

My HB 12er is secondhand, Iíve done a deal with a friend and fellow forumer on it...itís an absolute beauty, Iím just getting the last of the funds together for it!
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2003 Takamine EAN20C

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

#40 User is offline   Jinder 

• Every one a Gibsonite!
  • LocationDorset, UK

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:30 AM

Victory Pete, on 04 October 2017 - 04:53 PM, said:

Just played after supper, like night and day, full loud bass and very punchy. I cant believe that new guitars can be so temperamental. It makes me wonder about all the guitars being dismissed in music stores when they don't sound good when first played.

I wonder whether it was the strings coming in with a bit of play? I remember my AJ was a VERY string sensitive guitar and always sounded best with a bit of age on the steel.
#######
2015 SJ200 Standard
2011 Dove
1990 Hummingbird
1967 J45
2014 SJ100 1941 Reissue
2003 Takamine EAN20C

#######
www.jinder.co.uk

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic