Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone by Gibson

ianpick

Hi all

I'm new here, not really a player but about 30 years ago I bought a guitar with every intention of learning.

I can bash out a few chords and do some simple blues riffs but given that I'm using what I think is a sought after guitar

I think it might be better if I downsize to a simple acoustic and let someone else get some much better noises out of her.

It's an Epiphone by Gibson Serial number 71202424.

As I understand it the serial number indicates that it was made in Korea in '87.

It's probably me but i can't upload any photos, they're too big apparently. I'll have to figure out another way but it's in quite good condition and to be honest, has never been played in anger really and hasn't left the house in 30 years.

My research tells me that this type of guitar is not that common and a bit of a rarity even.

What I really need is a few ideas about what I should do with it. Flea bay seems a logical choice but as I don't know what it's worth I might come unstuck.

Any pointers you guys can give me would be much appreciated so thanks in advance.

FYI I'm in Bedfordshire, near Luton, but don't let that scare you off!

Ian

Hmm... I'm no expert, but I did a bit of looking around, and found a Sheraton with Seymour Duncan pickups, made in Korea 1987, sold for 500 quid online.

There are lots of folk on here that could give you a better answer than me, but here's what I THINK: unless you're flat broke, keep it. From what I hear, the Korean Epis were of good quality, but you won't get rich selling one.

But, like I said, I could be wrong.

Thanks for that Pinch.

It's not about getting rich on the sale it's more about putting it to good use.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks and at 58 I'm never going to make it to Carnegie Hall or Wembley Arena

so bashing the granny out of an acoustic is probably kinder to mankind in the end.

https://www.instagram.com/ian_pick/

Just started out on instagram so you'll have to trawl through my other stuff.

It looks real good. I love the finish.

Yeah, looks OK. That serial number on the back of the headstock looks questionable. Looks like a paper sticker. I kinda doubt Epiphone did that, but I'm no expert. It could be a refurbished item, which would typically lower the price a little. Nice guitar, though, and love that burst!

Yeah, looks OK. That serial number on the back of the headstock looks questionable. Looks like a paper sticker. I kinda doubt Epiphone did that, but I'm no expert. It could be a refurbished item, which would typically lower the price a little. Nice guitar, though, and love that burst!

Looks legit to me.

If you lived in Chicago, I'd buy it from you. I really like it.

Ian: you're welcome.

Having seen the pics, you could probably get an extra $100 for it, and possibly more - have approved luthier take a look. Maybe even more if you wait? Beautiful guitar!!

I'd keep it if I were you. You'll want it when you hit 70, to play blues licks on!

Archived