Gibson Brands Forums

Matt Umanov closing after 50 years

JuanCarlosVejar

this one hurts... thanks jc.

I still remember their having an old J45 for sale - a 50s model hanging on the wall with WARREN inlaid on the fretboard vertically - one letter each fret. I wish I knew the story, and who bought it.

I like Matt. I have chewed the fat with him many times, and he has always been a gentleman. I bought a few guitars from him as well.

Wow -- an era is ending I guess.

First Mandolin Bros. now Matt Umanov. I made many trips to his store on the Village.

The end of an era, however, had already come to pass. It came in 2015 when Rudy's closed their shop on 48th Street. It signaled the end of Music Row on 48th Street which, starting in the 1930s, was home to a slew of music and repair shops including Manny's and Dan Armstrong.

Went on his website to see what he has, since it's 20% off everything. He has what looks like a nice "all original" 1950 J-45--although the belly-down bridge is an anomaly, and the pre-discount price of about $6500 is no bargain outside of NY.

Holy shite ... I literally arrived in NYC an hour ago and was planning a visit there tomorrow.

On the upside, it looks like they are still open and apparently have 20% off everthing, and i bet one could negotiate with them hard now.

So, I guess Rudys will be the only guitar shop visiting now in NYC, or am I missing something other than Guitar Center ?

EA

Holy shite ... I literally arrived in NYC an hour ago and was planning a visit there tomorrow.

On the upside, it looks like they are still open and apparently have 20% off everthing, and i bet one could negotiate with them hard now.

So, I guess Rudys will be the only guitar shop visiting now in NYC, or am I missing something other than Guitar Center ?

EA

Well, I don't know how many new guitar shops there are, unless sam ash is still around, but there are certainly more vintage guitar stores in the NYC area than probably anywhere else.

I've to made a day of hitting these shops.

Retrofret

TR Crandall

Rivington

Southside

EA

Rudys still has the SOHO store open. Mandolin Bros. I believe is open by appointment only these days. Retrofret is over in Brooklyn. But you definitely missed the heyday of NYC guitars shops. At one time they were truly the stuff dreams were made of.

Archived