Gibson Brands Forums

RIP Tom Petty

JuanCarlosVejar

Reports are going back and forth between him having passed on and still clinging to life. Petty though has got to be the best writer of first lines in songs ever. And if you never saw Petty and the Heartbreakers you missed seeing America's greatest rock and roll band. The last time I saw him, the band had not been on tour for a bit and Petty seemed genuinely overjoyed to be back on stage. He was all smiles. That is how I will remember him.

Back in 1979 I was thirteen years old. Myfamily was taking a spring break road trip from Brooklyn to Florida, and myparents loaded us all up – six kids and luggage – in an old Chevy Capricewagon. The drive was long, and I sat in the “very back” with all the luggage. Iremember bringing my cassette recorder boom box, and a bag full of cassettesthat included the Eagles and Tom Petty. I wasn’t a choir boy, and I rememberasking my dad to crack the back window so I could get air. The real reason Iasked him that was so I could sneak an occasional cigarette, when others weresleeping and/or preoccupied. My dad smoked cigars, whose smell was in the caranyway, so to this day he still does not know that I was sneaking puffs whilelistening to Petty’s Here Comes My Girl and day-dreaming about the gal I had acrush on. This is a pretty vivid memory of mine.

Rest in Piece TP

Back in 1979 I was thirteen years old. Myfamily was taking a spring break road trip from Brooklyn to Florida, and myparents loaded us all up – six kids and luggage – in an old Chevy Capricewagon. The drive was long, and I sat in the “very back” with all the luggage. Iremember bringing my cassette recorder boom box, and a bag full of cassettesthat included the Eagles and Tom Petty. I wasn’t a choir boy, and I rememberasking my dad to crack the back window so I could get air. The real reason Iasked him that was so I could sneak an occasional cigarette, when others weresleeping and/or preoccupied. My dad smoked cigars, whose smell was in the caranyway, so to this day he still does not know that I was sneaking puffs whilelistening to Petty’s Here Comes My Girl and day-dreaming about the gal I had acrush on. This is a pretty vivid memory of mine.

Rest in Piece TP

I’m pretty sure that’s just exactly the sort of thing his music was made for

Who’d have thunk that little skitter in the back of the car would’ve done so well eh ?

Archived