Gibson Brands Forums

Texan Limited Edition 93 Reissue

TellyzGuitars

Hi folks. Just introduced myself in the newbie lounge and I have a question regarding the specifications of an Epiphone Texan 93 reissue I've just purchased but still being shipped so haven't got it yet.

It's apparently Gibson made alongside the other 90's centenary made limited edition Gibsons, number 132 of 500 made. It seems to be difficult to find anything on these guitars and most of the history time line info skips the 90's reissue while I haven't found anything on specs and no demo's? It has a pressed back with no bracing (like the 70's Gospel) but with a slope shoulder body based on the pics.

Any details welcome.

Cheers Terry

I, too, am curious to learn more. I have not heard of an Epiphone Texan 93 reissue, but I do own a 1956 NY made Epiphone F79 that has a maple pressed wood back. Since the original Gibson-made Epiphone Texan was actually a F79 Texan, I'm curious to learn more about what a pressed wood back Gibson made Epiphone Texan was.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Hey Jazz Man Jeff.

Researching the early FT79's like yours I found they have the pressed back and more of a jumbo size and shape. A very brief view as I understand it, the 1st Gibson produced FT79 used the J45 as the base with cosmetic and other changes like scale length. I believe they were 1st called Texan by Gibson. Enter Paul McCartney then they became famous.

It seems this 90's reissue combines both the original pressed back design with the Gibson slope shoulder design. Interesting. I look forward to receiving it.

Terry

Hard to imagine Montana producing a Texan without a fully braced back, as that's what the 1964 Gibson-made version had which McCartney made famous. Not surprisingly, it has become the most desirable and frequently copied Texan.

When Gibson bought out Epiphone & started making Epi labeled instruments in 1958 in Kalamazoo, they did use up the remaining stock of Epi parts on hand, but quickly transitioned to Gibson-designed models. In the ensuing years, it seems like Gibson's reissues of Epi instruments have always focused on Gibson-Kalamazoo designs (many of which were clones of existing Gibson models), rather than earlier Epiphone designs, such as the FT-79s pressed back (very recently though, some of Epi's original acoustic archtops have been recreated).

In the mid 2000s, Gibson did a multiple reissue of McCartney's guitar for his Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser. Two versions were made in Montana, and the third was made by Terada in Japan (maker of Epi's Elitist line). These have fully braced backs. I happen to have one of the Terada guitars & it is a fine instrument, very effectively capturing the essence of sixties Gibsons.

Would enjoy seeing a pic of yours when it arrives.

I have to admit, Montana issuing a pressed wood non-braced back Epiphone Texan in 1993 as a limited run sounds a bit unusual. I checked Gruhn's Guide and The Vintage Guitar Guide and both reference Montana issuing a limited 170 run of Texans from 1993-95, but neither references it as having the presses wood non-braced back like the 1956 NY Epiphone F79 (pre-Texan) that I have.

Hope the original poster posts photos. Then we will know more.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Researching the early FT79's like yours I found they have the pressed back and more of a jumbo size and shape. A very brief view as I understand it, the 1st Gibson produced FT79 used the J45 as the base with cosmetic and other changes like scale length. I believe they were 1st called Texan by Gibson. Enter Paul McCartney then they became famous.

The first Texans were pretty much J-50s with an Epiphone French Heel neck attached. The Frontier was Gibsons first attempt at a Martin dread clone and the prototype of the Hummingbird which came out a year or so later.

I also have a 1956 Epi FT-79. I got it about ten years back. I did not want it or like it at first. But the guy who owned the store where it was sitting kept telling me to take it home and live with it a while. I did and I kept bringing it back. Finally after about six months of me bringing it back and forth, the owner dropped the price to where I just could not refuse (about what you would pay for a IB Texan these days) so I figured what the heck. Funny thing is it was one of those guitars that over the years just grew on me. Today you would have a hard time getting it out of my hands.

I just found a Bozeman-made '94 Texan RI that had been for sale on Reverb. The seller says the guitar has a "rounded" back.

Yes indeed, Zomby! I just found two old listing for this instrument. What a strange beast. Looks like Montana borrowed the pickguard that was being utilized at the time on Korean-made Epis. Likewise, the headstock decals are not period-correct & may also have come from Korean stock. And of course we know the pressed & arched back are not period-correct to a Kalamazoo round-shoulder Texan.

But it certainly says "Made in USA."

Yes indeed, Zomby! I just found two old listing for this instrument. What a strange beast. Looks like Montana borrowed the pickguard that was being utilized at the time on Korean-made Epis. Likewise, the headstock decals are not period-correct & may also have come from Korean stock. And of course we know the pressed & arched back are not period-correct to a Kalamazoo round-shoulder Texan.

But it certainly says "Made in USA."

I just looked on Reverb and couldn't find it. Can you send a link?

I'd like to see what this looks like. Am wondering if it's really a Gospel being sold as a Texan (my 1994 Gospel has a 40s Gibson script on the headstock to honor the 100th anniversary as some others did) or a Frankenstein pieced together Epiphone guitar or a ?. Or, a counterfeit or an actual custom shop. Your thoughts...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I'd like to see what this looks like. Am wondering if it's really a Gospel being sold as a Texan (my 1994 Gospel has a 40s Gibson script on the headstock to honor the 100th anniversary as some others did) or a Frankenstein pieced together Epiphone guitar or a ?. Or, a counterfeit or an actual custom shop. Your thoughts...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Gibson kinda went nuts in '94 and their production numbers really went up. I am guessing though this version of the Texan was just a typical Gibson drawing on features found on guitars in a number of past catalogs rather than a spot on reproduction of a particular instrument.

But here ya go Jazzman.

https://reverb.com/item/425277-epiphone-texan-1994-limited-edition-145-of-500-made-in-gibson-factory-montana-usa

Very cool. Looks legit and certainly appears to have an unbraced back like my 56 F79 and 94 Gospel. Pickguard looks like the one on my F79 and in Texans. The logo..looks like other Epi logos I've seen from some period. Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing photos and a review from the original poster when he receives the guitar.

Zombyw and Bob, thanks for participating in this search for what this guitar is. Fun stuff!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Pickguard looks like the one on my F79 and in Texans. The logo..looks like other Epi logos I've seen from some period.

Yes, I didn't really explain what I meant very well in my earlier post. The pickguard is the traditional Epiphone shape, but the narrow logo on the pickguard is taken from a particular era of Epi's Korean production.

Interesting guitar!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Thanks for the feedback folks. It is proving a difficult guitar to identify. I still haven't received it yet but when I do I'll be able to assess it and post some pics.

Here's the Reverb link... Epi Texan Reverb

I thought of the possible links to the 90's Gospel reissue but this Epi has a slope shoulder compared to the Gospel Square shoulder?

It definitely seems to tie in with the 90's Centenary Gibson Limited reissues with a similar label, a mate has a 94' J35 Limited reissue with a similar Limited Edition label. As mentioned most of the references to Texan reissues seem to skip this one but I did find one reference that mentioned it briefly then moved on with no further info and I did find mention of those other Epi 90's reissues. Seems odd that this Texan gets overlooked? and it is an odd configuration with the pressed back, round shoulder

He's a couple of pics saved from the listing...

0fNGaxPl.jpg

zYSLb4Al.jpg

5wwouq0l.jpg

The photos you've posted seem to conform exactly to the two old Reverb listings I saw (aside from the fact that it has a sunburst finish). The serial number makes it a '94.

It's definitely a horse of a different color when it comes to Texans, but the potential for it to be a good guitar is most certainly there.

Enjoy it when it arrives!

Very interesting. The back's shape is indeed very similar to my 94 Gospel Reissue as well as my 56 F79. Except, of course, as you noted the Gospel Reissue has a square shouldered shape. I too wonder why this Texan Reissue has been overlooked and not listed in either Gruhn's book or the Vintage Guitar Guide. I agree with your inference, with it coming out in 1994 it must have been tied somehow to the 100 year anniversary of Gibson, but being an Epiphone it wasn't marked as such but rather a limited edition from Montana, as my 1994 Gospel Reissue's label references the Gibson 100 year anniversary.

Very fascinating guitar and if the arched back on it functions anything like my Gospel Reissue's sounchamber from its arched back it will sound really awesome.

Let us know when you receive it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Very interesting. The back's shape is indeed very similar to my 94 Gospel Reissue as well as my 56 F79. Except, of course, as you noted the Gospel Reissue has a square shouldered shape. I too wonder why this Texan Reissue has been overlooked and not listed in either Gruhn's book or the Vintage Guitar Guide. I agree with your inference, with it coming out in 1994 it must have been tied somehow to the 100 year anniversary of Gibson, but being an Epiphone it wasn't marked as such but rather a limited edition from Montana, as my 1994 Gospel Reissue's label references the Gibson 100 year anniversary.

Very fascinating guitar and if the arched back on it functions anything like my Gospel Reissue's sounchamber from its arched back it will sound really awesome.

Let us know when you receive it.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Personally I think the Gospel was the best thing coming out of Kalamazoo in the 1970s when Gibsons tended to sound like they were stuffed with old t-shirts. That arched back made all the difference in the world.

Hey Jeff, did you see the guy on eBay listing a 1949 FT-79 that he says is ladder braced? I would truly love to get my hands on that but the asking price is more than I am willing to spend to simply satisfy my curiosity.

I too wonder why this Texan Reissue has been overlooked and not listed in either Gruhn's book or the Vintage Guitar Guide.

Gruhn's 2nd edition (1999) lists a '93-'95 limited run of 170 Texans made in Montana, with solid mahogany back & sides. It also notes the decal peghead logo and vertical oval, and natural or sunburst finishes. No mention of an arched back, and it is not specifically distinguished as an anniversary model.

In Walter Carter's "The Epiphone Guitar Book" (2012), the Texan Anniversary model made in Montana, '93-'95, is listed, but the specs again show it sporting a solid mahogany back & sides - with 170 instruments produced.

Gruhn's book is generally very accurate. There's a lot of good reference information in Carter's book, but I have found a number of errors related to specifications and country of origin - mostly on Pacific Rim production, where a seemingly unending number of factories have been employed since low-labor-cost globe hopping began in the '70s.

Gruhn's 2nd edition (1999) lists a '93-'95 limited run of 170 Texans made in Montana, with solid mahogany back & sides. It also notes the decal peghead logo and vertical oval, and natural or sunburst finishes. No mention of an arched back, and it is not specifically distinguished as an anniversary model.

In Walter Carter's "The Epiphone Guitar Book" (2012), the Texan Anniversary model made in Montana, '93-'95, is listed, but the specs again show it sporting a solid mahogany back & sides - with 170 instruments produced.

Sweet. I've been wondering about the specs. As usual there's conflicting/miss information on the net so it's good to hear the back and sides are specified as being solid. This guitar is certainly piquing my interest! I'm looking forward to assessing it on arrival to confirm some specs and bring everyone up to date on it!

CORRECTION! Sorry Telly, but I went back & checked the specs in both books. Only Carter's book lists the back & sides as being solid mahogany. Gruhn's book simply says mahogany back & sides. I had looked it up in Carter's book first, and somehow that got imprinted on my pea-brain when I went to Gruhn's book.

Overall, there are a number of issues here to think about:

> I would consider Gruhn's book to be the more accurate resource. As mentioned, I've found a number of errors in Carter's book, and always take the listed info with one eye open for other possibilities. It still has a lot of good information, but it's best to corroborate that info with another source. Imho, the most important thing to take away from these listings is the confirmation that Montana did build an Epiphone Texan in 1994.

> Neither book mentions an arched back. I would consider that problematic when applying the listed info to your guitar. Typically in Gruhn's book, an arched back is listed as such, as in the many descriptors of Guild acoustics with laminated & arched backs, and Gibsons such as the J-55 from the '70s. This makes me believe that either the listed specs in both books are not 100% accurate, or the model may have initially been speced to have a flat-back.

> Historically on a quality flat-top acoustic, an arched back with no bracing is laminated for strength. The probability is much greater that the back on your instrument is laminated. As with most things in life, what you're looking at typically turns out to be the most obvious for the situation, not the most unusual.

Grain patterns are not always super distinct with mahogany, but when you receive the guitar, look very carefully to see if the inside grain patterns match the outside. You should then be able to conclusively determine the answer.

Well got the guitar late yesterday and busy now for a few days so I hope to get back with some more info...

For now, very pleased with this purchase. As with the Gibson Gospel I have, it's quite unique with a tone and feel all it's own. Not overly strong in Gibson signature tone, it's there but not as in your face, in a similar way as my mates J35 Limited Reissue from 1994, though I personally prefer this Texan. I played his J35 a couple of days ago so it was still fresh in my mind.

Plastic bridge pins and saddle, the nut feels like bone, not sure, the set up is wrong anyway. New Camel bone and new strings indicate lots of room for improvement and it's already pretty darn good. Loves rhythm, not so hot finger picking, a bit better flatpicking. Very soft playing feel. It actually sounds like the Beatles when you play it, don't know how Gibson managed that? Cosmetically it's nicer than it looked in the pics, just the finish checking that looks better in real life than the photos did. No dents, just a few scuffs most of which will polish out. Hardly been played, very little fret wear. Structurally in very good shape, looks like it was stored without string tension on it, glad about that! Build quality is beautiful, is that typical for this era for Gibson?

Has the pressed back with no braces. Over the next few days I'll try to get a better look to see if the back is solid or lam? I'm guessing lam for the added strength it would give.

Well that's all for now folks, more to follow.

Those were a different run entirely and a "reissue" of the originals (well as close as Gibson gets with their reissues other than the Legend Series). If I recall there was also an earlier Montana series of Epiphones that were built with MIJ parts and assembled in Bozeman. The '94 Centennial version is obviously a hodge podge of features taken from various past catalogs.

Archived