Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

BluesKing777

A strange choice, they will all say!

So an explanation....a friend turned up last year with a new dread model Maton with nice Blackwood back and sides and a Sitka top and it sounded great, acoustic AND electrified - it has the new pickup setup with undersaddle and mic and barn door controls.

Myself - not interested in a dread version, and I didn't like the older model Matons that were fairly overbuilt, but I was reading somewhere how the Maton SRS808 has scalloped foward shifted braced Cedar top and Blackwood b/s and that happens to be my latest preferred top and my Lowden S35 has Cedar top and figured Tasmanian Blackwood b/s and I love this combo.

So trundled down to the very close music shop that sells them - they sell Matons everywhere around here - they are made here - and had the cutaway (Solid Road Series) SRS808c and non cutaway SRS808 to try! Couldn't tell the difference in either but I kind of liked the non cutaway look and it was $100 cheaper.....

Hey, they are stunning! And the pickup is great - dual source with mic. Potential road warriors, let me tell you. [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]

Photos to come but here is one from an English shop to look at:

https://www.wunjoguitars.com/shop/acoustic-guitars/maton-srs-808

BluesKing777.

Any date set for you opening your guitar shop?

Look forward to hearing the new fella

Hey , is it mayton, matone or matton?

Good way to ruin the fun, selling the things for a living!

Now is a plummy English accent, it would be May-ton. But in a Strine, or even a Cockney, well it can be - Mate - un or even Mate'en.....

BluesKing777.

Good way to ruin the fun, selling the things for a living!

Now is a plummy English accent, it would be May-ton. But in a Strine, or even a Cockney, well it can be - Mate - un or even Mate'en.....

BluesKing777.

Where I’m from it’ll be mate ‘n’

Lowden owners will call them maytones

Last thing I expected when I opened your thread BK

Where I’m from it’ll be mate ‘n’

Lowden owners will call them maytones

Last thing I expected when I opened your thread BK

If you had said I would own a Maton a year ago, I would have given you the raspberry. But I only played a few older dreads with bad action and I have no idea what woods they were made with then. The Ebony/Italian Cargill lead me to looking at other woods, and I grabbed the Lowden Blackwood/Cedar...

But this guitar is cool, pity I didn't know they made them this good years ago...pickup system seems great. I will play it in for a few weeks then get a nice setup. Cedar plays in quick, we are told.

Oh, this would be a bare fingerpicker's guitar, not a dread lovers strummer at all, thought I better warn.

BluesKing777.

Archived