Gibson Brands Forums: Wife's NGD (Martin) - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wife's NGD (Martin)

#1 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6876
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

So we headed out this morning to go to a music store. Took 1 1/2 hours to get there and the place was closed. Decided to go to another one about an hour from there. Also was not open. Lesson learned - if you live in Ohio do not plan on checking out guitars on a Tuesday.

So we had lunch at Mr. Heroes and headed off to Woodsy's in Kent. Hallelujah, they were open. Started on the lower floor and then headed up to the high dollar acoustic room. Only Gibsons in the place were a SJ-200 and an 1932 L-00 reissue. Only old guitar up for grabs was a 1947 Martin D-18. Good selection of new Martins, Taylors, Larrivees and Breedloves though. Anyway my wife was looking for a 12 string. Played what they had in and nothing impressed the heck out her. Then she lit on a 2016 Martin D12-28. Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. The deal was sealed when, as the guitar was a NOS 2016 Centennial, they gave us a heck of a deal. So it came home with us. First song she played on her brand spanking new Martin - Tom Petty's Wildflowers.

PS. Unfortunately no torrefied top guitars to try out. Curses, foiled again. But the guy who works there has had them in and said, yeah, they are as good sounding as they are cracked up to be.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#2 User is online   AnneS 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1436
  • Joined: 20-August 10
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

Congrats to the whole fam. I'd love to hear the git AND that song, if she's taking requests...
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel
0

#3 User is offline   BigKahune 

  • Just plain Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 12205
  • Joined: 01-January 09
  • LocationEarth

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:58 AM

.
Well now, all right, a 12 string.

A Martin 12-28 . . . nice. A Centennial, very nice!

Would love to see a pic too.

Congrats. . B)


.
Posted Image
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Life.. is.. short,.. buy.. the.. guitar.
0

#4 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6876
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

View PostBigKahune, on 05 October 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

.
Well now, all right, a 12 string.

A Martin 12-28 . . . nice. A Centennial, very nice!

Would love to see a pic too.

Congrats. . B)


.



I was trying to figure out the Centennial of what. As nobody at the store seemed to know either they looked it up. Apparently it was the centennial anniversary of the dread. I will say this guitar has one of the nicest looking tops I have seen in quite a while. Tons of silking so the lumber they used was perfectly quartersawn.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#5 User is offline   Cougar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2653
  • Joined: 14-December 12
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 03 October 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

....Then she lit on a 2016 Martin D12-28.... the guitar was a NOS 2016 Centennial, they gave us a heck of a deal.


Well, yeah! Major congrats!
2008 Epiphone Masterbilt spruce/rosewood EF-500RAVS

2011 Guild F50R burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 burst 

1939 Epiphone Masterbilt Zenith


2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS

2013 Epiphone EL-00 Pro VS

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string sunburst

2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

Yamaha Motif XS7

0

#6 User is offline   scriv58 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 252
  • Joined: 16-December 14
  • Locationsouthern illinois

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

http://onemanz.com/g...he-dreadnought/
0

#7 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2929
  • Joined: 28-December 07
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

Interesting article. Concluded review of a dozen or so Martin Commemoratives - that Martin has 50+ dreadnaughts in their current catalog and had added 16 as Commemorative issues in 2016. Prices ranging from $700 to $8,000.
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013
0

#8 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9936
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:10 AM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 06 October 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Concluded review of a dozen or so Martin Commemoratives - that Martin has 50+ dreadnaughts in their current catalog and had added 16 as Commemorative issues in 2016. Prices ranging from $700 to $8,000.



And we complain about the number of J-45 models....
0

#9 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6876
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

View Postfortyearspickn, on 06 October 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Interesting article. Concluded review of a dozen or so Martin Commemoratives - that Martin has 50+ dreadnaughts in their current catalog and had added 16 as Commemorative issues in 2016. Prices ranging from $700 to $8,000.



The store just considered it a NOS guitar and, based on what the big box stores are asking, took about $550 off the price tag. Then, of course, we got stuck paying tax. I like the low end and the mids but the upper end sounds a bit jangly for me. Darn thing is loud. It is strung with those Martin Lifespan strings which I have never used. My first thought was to go with a heavier gauge B & E but my wife likes the guitars as is. We had originally gone out to check out a 1967 D12-35 with a good although not great asking price but the place was closed. I wanted to wait till we could check it out but my wife really liked the D-28. She by the way, was not impressed with the Martin Performing Artist cutaway 12 string or the two Taylor 12 strings they had in. There we were in total agreement. Again, the top wood on this guitar is perfectly quartersawn so some care was taken with the wood selection.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#10 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 759
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 06 October 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

The store just considered it a NOS guitar and, based on what the big box stores are asking, took about $550 off the price tag. Then, of course, we got stuck paying tax. I like the low end and the mids but the upper end sounds a bit jangly for me. Darn thing is loud. It is strung with those Martin Lifespan strings which I have never used. My first thought was to go with a heavier gauge B & E but my wife likes the guitars as is. We had originally gone out to check out a 1967 D12-35 with a good although not great asking price but the place was closed. I wanted to wait till we could check it out but my wife really liked the D-28. She by the way, was not impressed with the Martin Performing Artist cutaway 12 string or the two Taylor 12 strings they had in. There we were in total agreement. Again, the top wood on this guitar is perfectly quartersawn so some care was taken with the wood selection.


Congrats on a sweet guitar. I have one that is 10 years older. It has gotten better with time. I also have a 2016 Centennial Dreadnought, a D-42. I picked it out of a line up of 3 on Musician's Friend. My criteria at the time for such an expensive guitar was the pickguard, yes pickguard. 2 of the 3 had what I call "Bird Poop" on the pickguards, unsightly bright patches. I like a consistent pickguard. Little did I realize the one I got was the only one made in 2016, it wasn't until I got it home and looked in the hole at the stamp that I read "Dreadnought Centennial". I feel fortunate that I stumbled upon the guitar this way, and by the way it sounds great.
0

#11 User is offline   scriv58 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 252
  • Joined: 16-December 14
  • Locationsouthern illinois

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

then there's this dread
https://entertainmen.../p/7164-14001.s
0

#12 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9936
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

View Postscriv58, on 07 October 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:



They won't be giving that one away. What a provenance!
0

#13 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6876
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

View PostVictory Pete, on 07 October 2017 - 08:47 AM, said:

Congrats on a sweet guitar. I have one that is 10 years older. It has gotten better with time. I also have a 2016 Centennial Dreadnought, a D-42. I picked it out of a line up of 3 on Musician's Friend. My criteria at the time for such an expensive guitar was the pickguard, yes pickguard. 2 of the 3 had what I call "Bird Poop" on the pickguards, unsightly bright patches. I like a consistent pickguard. Little did I realize the one I got was the only one made in 2016, it wasn't until I got it home and looked in the hole at the stamp that I read "Dreadnought Centennial". I feel fortunate that I stumbled upon the guitar this way, and by the way it sounds great.



I am guessing that all Martin dreads got the Centennial stamp in 2016 as the one my wife bought was not a special run or anything.

Hard to imagine any pickguard being worse looking than what Gibson passes off as a firestripe these days. But anything is possible.

The Martin I would have gone for (as I did not want to spend the bucks they were asking on the mid-1940s D-18 hanging on the wall) was an early 90s D-28. I did not get a chance to see it until later but the body was made with something called Morado rosewood and the top with old growth Englemann spruce. Surprisingly it was not that expensive and I could have easily swung the cash for it. Apparently Martin only got enough of the Englemann to build four guitars, two of which were D-28s. But my wife wanted a 12 string and hates the massive neck on my pre-War Regal 12. Funny thing is she showed little interest in the early 1963 Gibson B45-12 I had. I had pretty much had picked it up thinking she would want it.
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#14 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 759
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

View Postzombywoof, on 07 October 2017 - 09:25 AM, said:

I am guessing that all Martin dreads got the Centennial stamp in 2016 as the one my wife bought was not a special run or anything.

Hard to imagine any pickguard being worse looking than what Gibson passes off as a firestripe these days. But anything is possible.

The Martin I would have gone for (as I did not want to spend the bucks they were asking on the mid-1940s D-18 hanging on the wall) was an early 90s D-28. I did not get a chance to see it until later but the body was made with something called Morado rosewood and the top with old growth Englemann spruce. Surprisingly it was not that expensive and I could have easily swung the cash for it. Apparently Martin only got enough of the Englemann to build four guitars, two of which were D-28s. But my wife wanted a 12 string and hates the massive neck on my pre-War Regal 12. Funny thing is she showed little interest in the early 1963 Gibson B45-12 I had. I had pretty much had picked it up thinking she would want it.


I have 2 Firestripe pickguards, 2016 J-45 Custom and 2016 Advanced Jumbo, It took a while to get used to them but when I found out they were historic, they grew on me. It seems the original ones had the stripes going the other way, I like the stripes to go with my picking strokes.
0

#15 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 759
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

Why do I see "Page Can Not be Displayed" every effing time I hit the "Add Reply" button. This website is such a PITA to deal with, WTF Gibson, get with the program!
0

#16 User is offline   j45nick 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 9936
  • Joined: 05-February 11
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostVictory Pete, on 07 October 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

Why do I see "Page Can Not be Displayed" every effing time I hit the "Add Reply" button. This website is such a PITA to deal with, WTF Gibson, get with the program!



No problem with it on either of my computers, so it may not be a website issue. The site does hang up sometime when replying, but if you exit the site and re-load, you'll usually find your reply has been logged.
0

#17 User is offline   zombywoof 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 6876
  • Joined: 24-January 08

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

View PostVictory Pete, on 07 October 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

I have 2 Firestripe pickguards, 2016 J-45 Custom and 2016 Advanced Jumbo, It took a while to get used to them but when I found out they were historic, they grew on me. It seems the original ones had the stripes going the other way, I like the stripes to go with my picking strokes.



I own three instruments (two Gibsons and one Schmidt Sovereign) built in the 1930s which have their original firestripe pickguards. This one though is my favorite - a 1935 Gibson-made Recording King mandolin. You can really see why they are called firestripe.

Posted Image
__________________________________________________


"I play so rough - I stomp 'em"
Bukka White
0

#18 User is offline   Victory Pete 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 759
  • Joined: 23-May 11

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:01 PM

View Postzombywoof, on 07 October 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

I own three instruments (two Gibsons and one Schmidt Sovereign) built in the 1930s which have their original firestripe pickguards. This one though is my favorite - a 1935 Gibson-made Recording King mandolin. You can really see why they are called firestripe.

Posted Image



Oh yes, get the hot dogs!




0

#19 User is offline   Dave F 

  • Plain Old Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2079
  • Joined: 19-December 11
  • LocationKY

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:19 PM

Here's the oldest fire stripe I have

Posted Image



Just the Gibson's Please
'29 Uke1
'40's Banner J45
'53 ES 150
'94 Centennial 1934 Jumbo RI
'94 1933 Century of Progress
'04 Chet Atkins CG
'04 Dwight Yoakam Honky Tonk Duece
'07 J200 CUSTOM KOA
'07 CJ165 RW
'10 J45 Legend
'10 Jackson Browne
'11 Kristofferson SJ
'12 J200 Custom RW
'13 ES 175
'13 J185 Wildwood Modern Vintage
'13 LG-2 Banner RI (All Hog)
'14 F5L Fern Mandolin
'14 Stage Deluxe LTD
'14 1932 L00 RI
'14 Les Paul Std
'14 L5 Premier
'15 Stage Deluxe RW
'16 Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood
0

#20 User is online   AnneS 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1436
  • Joined: 20-August 10
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

Here's my '34/35 Kalamazoo--kinda cool that the stripe is not parallel to the strum.

Posted Image
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users