Gibson Brands Forums

Song Using My New Maton SRS808

BluesKing777

I just recorded a fingerpicked version of Neil Young's "Comes A Time" (nothing like it, sorry) to show my new Maton SRS808 and its pickup system. The track has the guitar plugged direct, using the undersaddle pickup and internal mic, both on full. Ran a Shure SM58 for the vocal, and both mic and guitar to my Boss VE-8 acoustic/vocal gadget.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/comesatime7b

BluesKing777.

Great sound, BK! I listened before I read the bit about there being DI'd signal in the mix and was extremely surprised to see that. Sounds really warm and articulate with a complex midrange which is often missing from DI'd tone. Did you dial in any acoustic resonance from the VE8 or leave it all flat?

I really like your take on the song-I'm a big NY fan and that song is pretty mercurial-I've never been able to work up a version of it myself that has pleased me, but yours is great.

Thanks KC and Jinder!

The pickup is the Maton AP5-Pro, same in every new Maton now, similar idea to the Baggs Anthem with undersaddle pickup PLUS internal condenser mic.

Now Tommy E has the same pickup, and carries a spare on the road, and he said on a video that he drives it like a Ferrarri - everything full on flat out! So I was earlier trying it out and being delicate and then tried the TE method and push the controls all to 11. And I love the sound. I used headphones, TE used a soundhole plug to stop feedback. They (Maton) are well known for their live sound, but I bought the guitar after playing it acoustically. I don't know if they are all like it - I was making sure there was no grain runout like the online photo on the ones I tried! [mellow]

Oh, no resonance control used on the Boss, don't need it. I just add a splash of reverb and delay, different for guitar and vocal. The Enhance knob on the vocal section is a combo eq/compress designed for bringing vocals 'forward' and I also love it!

DI'd out to my mixer with all eq flat....theory is live should sound the same as my recording only.....louder.

Can you believe I have another cut from cooking prep on my thumb? So mission today changed to laying into the new top with thumbpick and fingerpick, really took it to it to string breaking limit to open it out.

BluesKing777.

Archived