Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

First New Gibson ...but not my first Gibson

#1 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

• Group: Members
  • LocationMetro Detroit, MI

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

About to pull the trigger on a GC Platinum pick LP Custom. I guess any thoughts on people who have traveled this avenue, I am looking to listen to that experience. I am looking at committing to a list price guitar that I am about to finance for 4 years, so I know GC will let me know it's a "good deal"... I am looking for unbiased opinions. Are they good with customer service (returns, defects, service, etc.)? What should I look out for in this deal I potentially want to make - or shouldn't make... Any feedback is much appreciated.

Just to hint how I am feeling at this very moment, I am excited about making the guitar purchase - what guitar player wouldn't be I guess. I am sort of not liking the fact that there are 2 S/N's to choose from, and I cannot decipher them to figure out which one I should choose, but both guitars are in "new" condition apparently. I think GC posted the S/N's wrong on their site or something like this, because they have no apparent rhyme or reason to decide on when it was manufactured, where, etc. I can only bet since I am buying from GC that it is a 100% legitimate GIbson LP Custom... Overall, leaning hard on wanting to buy this as it would be my first brand new Gibson LP. Always loved LP's and have played a few over the years, so I know what to pretty much expect given I am buying online I hope. Hence, why the return policy may be important IF something is not LP-like.

#2 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

I have bought exactly 1 new Gibson Custom Shop guitar, a 2013 Les Paul VOS 58. The guitars are predominantly hand made and you will see that because there will be slight imperfections on it usually, nothing that adversely impacts playability. I find the CS guitars have that extra love because there is so much hands on work. I find the pickups to be better in the CS models as well.

Since you are buying it at GC and you don't want to jeopardize the financing, ask them to throw in some freebies. I have gotten them to throw in a free guitar before such as a $200 Yamaha Acoustic. They can't go down on the price, talk them into free stuff like stands, stools, straps etc. You are spending a ton of money on a guitar there. It is kind of like buying a car, negotiate for what you want in freebies. If you live in an area with multiple GCs, play them against each other and get the best deal. Since you are in the Metro Detroit area, you have 3 GCs there. Remember that you can also call into GC and order that way and they will negotiate there too.

#3 User is offline   deeman 

• Alt-Rocker
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

If you were to get it at Guitar Center, you should be able to get them to come down on the price or as is stated above get other freebees. Gibson does have a warranty to take care of factory defects. I would avoid using the GC 'tech' and any such warranty the store may try to sell you as they are notoriously bad.

I'm not one to tell people what to do, but if it were me, I would not finance a guitar. It isn't a very smart financial decision. Perhaps see if you can find one used, or save up money. The interest rates on those store credit cards are crazy. However if you want to finance it, its up to you. It's a free country. Just make sure you try out as many guitars as possible and make sure you really love the one you buy. [thumbup]
Authority Drive
2006 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2001 Epiphone G400
2001 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier

#4 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

This promotional deal is 48 months 0% interest (runs until the end of the year). I wouldn't entertain unless it was 0%... Thanks for the thoughts on that though, I agree with you not to finance something like this for any interest rate north or 0%. Basically, it is same as cash over 48 months where the payment is very affordable for me and my situation. I don't finance ANYTHING as I like to save for what I get - forces patience. Although, I have been contemplating this move for a few months on this particular guitar, and I feel that for 0% interest over quite some time on the term, it is attractive. Of course, if I pay more, it takes me less time and not having paid one cent on interest. I don't care about paying for the listed price, just have an issue paying for interest bottom line. If I go with this deal, it definitely will not put me in a financial predicament - which if it did, it would be incredibly stupid to do this for a high-end guitar... Anyhow, here's the guitar I am looking at:

http://www.guitarcen...442242643503.gc

I will love it and play it nearly every day as I do with all my guitars and piano. I find it something very necessary as I have played music since I was 9. I will see about freebies... Hopefully I can strike a deal as they said this guitar's price is not negotiable.

#5 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

That is a beautiful guitar! I hope you can get a sweet deal on it in freebies.

#6 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Here were the runner-ups in my decision which LP to go after:

http://www.guitarcen...500000071214.gc

http://www.guitarcen...274034468806.gc

http://www.guitarcen...500000010559.gc

All are awesome, and the black satin LP Custom seemed GC exclusive as I found this nowhere else... Either way, I have not much contempt for GC as they have done me good throughout the years. Been fair with me as I have spent some bucks here primarily with Yamaha synthesizers and guitar accessories - and my Jackson Dinky... All my other guitars have been bought used at small shops, so this is my first professional-class GC guitar. Not to discredit my Dinky as this is a shred machine... I do not plan to play metal with my prospective LP Custom. I actually want to go in a jazz direction as I have been turned on lately to some of the greats such as Wes and Django.

It seems to me that the tri-burst LP Customs are a GC exclusive as well??? Correct me if I am wrong. This is not a 68 RI either I believe - from the link in my previous post. Looks like it from the finish, but no mention of a reissue in description. As well these tri-bursts are from 2015 and 2016 - the one is definitely a 2015, so I gather that the CS6xxxxx S/N is from 2016. Interesting enough, the 2015 was finished by the Custom Shop a few days before my birthday, so it definitely is calling my name!

#7 User is offline   Matty1976 

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:53 PM

I like the heritage cherry.

#8 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Yeah, I decided to buy the 2015 LP Custom Shop Tri-burst... Just looks absolutely stunning to my eyes. Didn't get any freebies as the guy wasn't too helpful in that regard, but whatever. I appreciate the advice Mega. ...I just suck at haggling, haha! With my comfort level in buying something like a LP Custom, I want to know it is in spectacular condition, and if it doesn't please me, back it goes. I don't think it will leave me though as the images the guy sent me for this specific guitar illustrate a near flawless piece! I love LP's and very familiar with them, so it will have to be some serious stuff wrong with it to make me want to return it. Can't wait to get it in my hands! Going to be my 37th birthday present from my wife.

Here's an oddball question, what about insuring guitars? I can probably extend my homeowner's policy on this like I do with my piano, but then again, I probably have to leave it in my house to be eligible for coverage... Correct me if I am wrong on this. Are there other options - other than the "GC Guarantee" warranty? Or is the GC warranty worth it... Would suck if it fell off a stand or something and CRACK! Would also suck if something bad happened to the house that caused damage to the guitar.

#9 User is offline   Revolution Six 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

Heritage finish and Ivory finish are very nice,

Here is my favotite finish ,

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostNighthawkChris, on 05 October 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

Yeah, I decided to buy the 2015 LP Custom Shop Tri-burst... Just looks absolutely stunning to my eyes. Didn't get any freebies as the guy wasn't too helpful in that regard, but whatever. I appreciate the advice Mega. ...I just suck at haggling, haha! With my comfort level in buying something like a LP Custom, I want to know it is in spectacular condition, and if it doesn't please me, back it goes. I don't think it will leave me though as the images the guy sent me for this specific guitar illustrate a near flawless piece! I love LP's and very familiar with them, so it will have to be some serious stuff wrong with it to make me want to return it. Can't wait to get it in my hands! Going to be my 37th birthday present from my wife.

Here's an oddball question, what about insuring guitars? I can probably extend my homeowner's policy on this like I do with my piano, but then again, I probably have to leave it in my house to be eligible for coverage... Correct me if I am wrong on this. Are there other options - other than the "GC Guarantee" warranty? Or is the GC warranty worth it... Would suck if it fell off a stand or something and CRACK! Would also suck if something bad happened to the house that caused damage to the guitar.

You can get insurance to cover your guitars but the best insurance policies are strap locks and keeping your guitar in the case. I keep my CS in the case at all times unless I am playing it. A recommendation for you is to track your serial number and make sure your insurance company has it. I keep a log of all my guitars including the make, model, condition, cost etc and provide it to the insurance company.

#11 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostMegafrog, on 05 October 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

You can get insurance to cover your guitars but the best insurance policies are strap locks and keeping your guitar in the case. I keep my CS in the case at all times unless I am playing it. A recommendation for you is to track your serial number and make sure your insurance company has it. I keep a log of all my guitars including the make, model, condition, cost etc and provide it to the insurance company.

Haha! I agree about the keeping the guitar in case when not being played - at all times. As far as strap locks, I 100% agree with this as well. I have installed on all my guitars - one of the first things I buy for guitar - if not the very first accessory purchased. I plan on doing recordings mostly with this, not so much taking it out to perform with... I have workhorses that share a stable with my prized steeds Posted Image I definitely do not want to risk some individual attempting to steal it or get damaged in transport somehow, etc. I feel that it should stay in my house, keep it insured under my homeowner's and enjoy playing it in temperature/humidity controlled area of house. I will just provide GC receipt for the insurance company as it will have necessary information on it - like I did for my piano, this way they can clearly see how much I am insuring this guitar for and what it specifically is, etc. In the case of the unfortunate, at least I won't be SOL. I am not saying that this will be some case queen, just that it will be used mostly in my home studio as I don't think it is wise for regular guy like me to take a LP Custom out to the bar or something. That's just the way I think. Other's may be feel differently and have no issue taking their expensive Gibson out to the gig, but I am not comfortable with doing that.

#12 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

That is certainly a beautiful finish. Sorry, I am not clear on if you are near these GCs or if you are ordering it online from their warehouse? The reason I bring it up, is that you mentioned you wanted this guitar primarily to get into jazz and to record with. It has the 490 pickups - which are very hot and suited really well for loud cranked up and distorted tones. For jazzier more muted I think '57 Classics or the newer MHS pickups might suit you better. If you can play it and hear it first that would be great.

As to insurance - your homeowners (or renters) policy will cover it if stolen out of your home or lost in a home fire etc. But if you are a gigging musician and playing out most of the time, they want to know that and the premium will be quite a bit higher. You don't want to assume it's covered by homeowners and then find out they won't pay if someone kicks it off the stand at a gig. [scared]
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#13 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:19 AM

I'm assuming you're in the US. So it's under warranty.

Run through the usual check list: any cracks? Truss rod responding? Did the PLEK machine eff up - just for you?

There's nothing like a new guitar, so... congrats and enjoy.

I wish the Gibson warranty covered Sweden. But I figure, it's a V, so if the truss rod (that I haven't checked) is wonky, I can always beat the QC to death with it.

#14 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

Twang Gang,

Thanks for the feedback. I have not put this guitar in my hand yet - I have bought it online. I have a pretty good idea what this will be like playability-wise as I have messed around with some customs at my local GC. The one I ordered is pretty much the same with special look. Either way, I get 45-day window to return if unhappy with the purchase. I suppose I simply head to my local GC and file return - that's what I have read coming from GC and what the sale's guy I talked to on the phone at the GC that actually has the guitar (out of state for me). I have seen demos online that feature this guitar specifically, and it seems to have a pretty suitable sound for things like rock to jazz. I am taking a bit of a risk on this guitar I guess... Well put it this way, if I don't like it, I will know very soon. I am just hoping that the complications are at a minimum.

Regarding the insurance, I will see what I can come up with I guess. As I may have stated, I have my piano covered under my policy. I was wondering if anyone has done this for their expensive guitar(s) or knows something better to do to insure it from the unpredictable unfortunates. With a guitar like this, taking it out of the house will be something I will very carefully consider as I know how delicate these things are... I am sure that having insurance for playing out would be relatively costly. But hey, if it's your full-time gig to perform and this is the guitar you use, best have some sort of protection so you don't get a total loss. I want to do mostly recordings with this at my home. I am trying to get a nice setup going on to make a mini-studio in my basement.

Pinch,

Thanks for the blessing, I sincerely appreciate it! Yeah, I'm in the great US of A. I am definitely buying a warranted piece here.

#15 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

Here's what I saw this far...

https://youtu.be/o-th10yp6x8

#16 User is offline   MichaelT 

• Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
  • LocationSomewhere in Kentucky

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:06 AM

I bought my first new Les Paul Standard at GC. We haggled a bit on price and I got it from the list price down to a price we were both comfortable with. I put strap locks on it, a poker chip and got insurance on it. The insurance wasn't too expensive and I've had it on all my guitars for years because I do take them out and play them. I can't wait to see pictures and hear what you think of the guitar. I've played a few Customs over the years but have never owned one and they were awesome. If the pickups are too hot for jazz, you can drop the volume on them a bit and cut back the tone a little. I do that on my Flying V with 490s all the time. Good luck with your acquisition.

#17 User is offline   kaicho8888 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

...let's face it, sooner or later you will end up with all of them! Posted Image I know from personal experience...LOL. Posted Image
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

#18 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

Hopefully I'm getting my hands on this guitar in the next day or so... Really excited to finally see this beast! Anyhow Mega, I ended up pitching a line to the GC manager about how I am paying this much for the guitar and so on and so on... He eventually was real cool with me and gave me some superior discounts on tons of accessories. True, I had to pay a little more for new stuff, but we are talking like 50% off and the like! Here is the list of items I received nearly half off:

- JBE mini-humbucker
- JBE single coil
- Gibson LP rear control plate
- 2 x 5-way "Super Switch"
- 2 x push-pull 500k pots
- 2 high end electric guitar straps
- Vintage Gibson pearloid tuning machines set
- TUSQ nut for Epiphone
- 10 x DR Coated strings

All of this cost me around $430 extra which comes out considerably less when you buy all this list. Just the 2 pickups alone cost over $300... Even the tuning machine set was priced around $80 or something without discount applied... So I had to spend a little more, but it is worth it to me to receive these kinds of discounts. This deal me feel great, because now, I can upgrade my Epi-Hawk with high-end noiseless pickups, I can restore my friend's Epi LP, and I can restore this other '94 Gibson Nighthawk I bought at an auction for a few hundred bucks (had a slight headstock crack, but all original HW except 5-way super switch and volume/tone knobs). So I feel much better about buying this LP Custom at list price as I could not have received all of these nice extras without having made this purchase.

Overall, GC has done me pretty well in the past. The staff usually is very considerate of my needs an very helpful when I go in to play a guitar. I know everyone has different opinions and such, but I personally tout GC. Bought a lot of stuff there over the years including a Yamaha Motif ES8 and Yamaha MM8 with the flight cases, amps, recording equipment... The list goes on. Funny though, this will be my second guitar I buy from them (bought my MIJ Jackson Dinky Pro with Seymour Duncan PU's back in 2007 or 2008 from GC when my friend worked there to give me AWESOME discount). I am not some sort of GC fanboy here, but I appreciate that I have these stores around to check out when I feel like visiting a music store. Sometimes you go into these "ma and pa" shops and they give you $%^& for even touching a guitar you might want to consider buying. I hate these places. Never happened to me in GC. They always let you do as you please for the most part and more than willing to help you out.

#19 User is offline   NighthawkChris 

Posted Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Well, here's the latest purchase I made. Plays awesome, sounds awesome... just an awesome guitar, can't say it enough! Very happy with this and GC took care of this very well. I was a bit worried about it since I bought it online and haven't played it before paying, but I have 45-day return policy if for any reason I don't want it, and I know LP's very well. Pretty much when I plugged it in, I heard what I was expecting at the very least.

Oh, BTW, insurance policy on all my guitars active! Increases my homeowner's policy about $11/month. But hey, I'd be pretty upset if something happened to them... Hope to NEVER have to make a claim for one or more of them, but if the unfortunate happens, then at least I get something back and not a total loss.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 2015 Gibson Les Paul Custom - Resized.jpg

#20 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

Guitar looks great!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic