Gibson Brands Forums

First New Gibson

NighthawkChris

About to pull the trigger on a GC Platinum pick LP Custom. I guess any thoughts on people who have traveled this avenue, I am looking to listen to that experience. I am looking at committing to a list price guitar that I am about to finance for 4 years, so I know GC will let me know it's a "good deal"... I am looking for unbiased opinions. Are they good with customer service (returns, defects, service, etc.)? What should I look out for in this deal I potentially want to make - or shouldn't make... Any feedback is much appreciated.

Just to hint how I am feeling at this very moment, I am excited about making the guitar purchase - what guitar player wouldn't be I guess. I am sort of not liking the fact that there are 2 S/N's to choose from, and I cannot decipher them to figure out which one I should choose, but both guitars are in "new" condition apparently. I think GC posted the S/N's wrong on their site or something like this, because they have no apparent rhyme or reason to decide on when it was manufactured, where, etc. I can only bet since I am buying from GC that it is a 100% legitimate GIbson LP Custom... Overall, leaning hard on wanting to buy this as it would be my first brand new Gibson LP. Always loved LP's and have played a few over the years, so I know what to pretty much expect given I am buying online I hope. Hence, why the return policy may be important IF something is not LP-like.

I have bought exactly 1 new Gibson Custom Shop guitar, a 2013 Les Paul VOS 58. The guitars are predominantly hand made and you will see that because there will be slight imperfections on it usually, nothing that adversely impacts playability. I find the CS guitars have that extra love because there is so much hands on work. I find the pickups to be better in the CS models as well.

Since you are buying it at GC and you don't want to jeopardize the financing, ask them to throw in some freebies. I have gotten them to throw in a free guitar before such as a $200 Yamaha Acoustic. They can't go down on the price, talk them into free stuff like stands, stools, straps etc. You are spending a ton of money on a guitar there. It is kind of like buying a car, negotiate for what you want in freebies. If you live in an area with multiple GCs, play them against each other and get the best deal. Since you are in the Metro Detroit area, you have 3 GCs there. Remember that you can also call into GC and order that way and they will negotiate there too.

If you were to get it at Guitar Center, you should be able to get them to come down on the price or as is stated above get other freebees. Gibson does have a warranty to take care of factory defects. I would avoid using the GC 'tech' and any such warranty the store may try to sell you as they are notoriously bad.

I'm not one to tell people what to do, but if it were me, I would not finance a guitar. It isn't a very smart financial decision. Perhaps see if you can find one used, or save up money. The interest rates on those store credit cards are crazy. However if you want to finance it, its up to you. It's a free country. Just make sure you try out as many guitars as possible and make sure you really love the one you buy. [thumbup]

Yeah, I decided to buy the 2015 LP Custom Shop Tri-burst... Just looks absolutely stunning to my eyes. Didn't get any freebies as the guy wasn't too helpful in that regard, but whatever. I appreciate the advice Mega. ...I just suck at haggling, haha! With my comfort level in buying something like a LP Custom, I want to know it is in spectacular condition, and if it doesn't please me, back it goes. I don't think it will leave me though as the images the guy sent me for this specific guitar illustrate a near flawless piece! I love LP's and very familiar with them, so it will have to be some serious stuff wrong with it to make me want to return it. Can't wait to get it in my hands! Going to be my 37th birthday present from my wife.

Here's an oddball question, what about insuring guitars? I can probably extend my homeowner's policy on this like I do with my piano, but then again, I probably have to leave it in my house to be eligible for coverage... Correct me if I am wrong on this. Are there other options - other than the "GC Guarantee" warranty? Or is the GC warranty worth it... Would suck if it fell off a stand or something and CRACK! Would also suck if something bad happened to the house that caused damage to the guitar.

You can get insurance to cover your guitars but the best insurance policies are strap locks and keeping your guitar in the case. I keep my CS in the case at all times unless I am playing it. A recommendation for you is to track your serial number and make sure your insurance company has it. I keep a log of all my guitars including the make, model, condition, cost etc and provide it to the insurance company.

That is certainly a beautiful finish. Sorry, I am not clear on if you are near these GCs or if you are ordering it online from their warehouse? The reason I bring it up, is that you mentioned you wanted this guitar primarily to get into jazz and to record with. It has the 490 pickups - which are very hot and suited really well for loud cranked up and distorted tones. For jazzier more muted I think '57 Classics or the newer MHS pickups might suit you better. If you can play it and hear it first that would be great.

As to insurance - your homeowners (or renters) policy will cover it if stolen out of your home or lost in a home fire etc. But if you are a gigging musician and playing out most of the time, they want to know that and the premium will be quite a bit higher. You don't want to assume it's covered by homeowners and then find out they won't pay if someone kicks it off the stand at a gig. [scared]

I'm assuming you're in the US. So it's under warranty.

Run through the usual check list: any cracks? Truss rod responding? Did the PLEK machine eff up - just for you?

There's nothing like a new guitar, so... congrats and enjoy.

I wish the Gibson warranty covered Sweden. But I figure, it's a V, so if the truss rod (that I haven't checked) is wonky, I can always beat the QC to death with it.

I bought my first new Les Paul Standard at GC. We haggled a bit on price and I got it from the list price down to a price we were both comfortable with. I put strap locks on it, a poker chip and got insurance on it. The insurance wasn't too expensive and I've had it on all my guitars for years because I do take them out and play them. I can't wait to see pictures and hear what you think of the guitar. I've played a few Customs over the years but have never owned one and they were awesome. If the pickups are too hot for jazz, you can drop the volume on them a bit and cut back the tone a little. I do that on my Flying V with 490s all the time. Good luck with your acquisition.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived