Gibson Guitar Board: I was floored by new music...been a while - Gibson Guitar Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I was floored by new music...been a while No Gibson content

#1 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1447
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

Very little of the new music coming out from young bands these days really grab me. I had almost given up on finding new stuff, when this song totally floored me.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=lGZXzmM1smM

What a cool song, and a great mix of old and new. My faith in the young generation is restored.

Do not know why, just felt like sharing.
Lars
0

#2 User is offline   ThemisSal 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 4278
  • Joined: 28-July 12

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:26 PM

I respect your choice and taste on so much...guitars... TVZ...

but I think I am too old for this one :)
0

#3 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1447
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:27 PM

View PostThemisSal, on 04 October 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

but I think I am too old for this one :)


"I was older then, but I'm so much younger than that now". That's how I felt after hearing that song the first time [biggrin]

I've listened to some more stuff from Algiers (the band, that is...) and I think their mix of r&b, gospel, rap, and alternative rock is fantastic, and very refreshing. I like TVZ (a lot), but I also love the energy and frustration of The Clash. There is good stuff to be found in most any style. Around here we center on country influenced music the most, for obvious reasons. However, I like to occassionally dip my toes in more unknown waters [smile]

Lars

And Sal, nah, you're not old!
0

#4 User is offline   littlejohnny 

  • Disciple
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 318
  • Joined: 26-January 08
  • LocationWest Germany

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:18 AM

Hey Lars,
listened yesterday, and will do again. This is interesting, for now I'm not sure if I go all that crazy about them, but i can relate to what you said about hearing new music.

My 8 year old son made me listen to twenty one pilots, and now I've been listening to those guys for almost half a year exclusively. I must admit I'm a total fanboy now. Their creativity and passion really floors me.

And the good thing is, listening to that kind of music, made me really appreciate the music I normally listen to again.

If someone wants to know, what I'm talking about, look here, but be aware, there's not one single stringed instrument:
https://www.youtube....h?v=fEn8BJTKTdg
0

#5 User is offline   AnneS 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1407
  • Joined: 20-August 10
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

I listened to bands my kids were into, too, and quite liked a lot of it- My Chemical Romance, Avenge Sevenfold, Bad Religion. Stuff I wouldn't have heard otherwise. Change of pace works for me.
Gibson 2000 J-100XT
Gibson 1964 LG-1
Gibson 2014 J-45 Elite Custom
Ibanez PN1 Parlor

"He woulda taken the other road, but he didn't think the lake was that deep." JPrine

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel
0

#6 User is offline   E-minor7 

  • Winger
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 7493
  • Joined: 09-June 10

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

Absolutely splendid. Has both the roots right and a spearhead pointing right out there.

Excellent production, they know how to polish up those machines - strong vocals and superb bass-work.

I could have needed some frantic acoustic Gibson strumming between 2:54 and 3:08 Posted Image why not a slightly treated archtop, , fx this one

http://www.12fret.co...-full-front.jpg
You just can't keep coincidences down. .
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   Steverz 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 24-November 08
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

I think that song is terrible! If you are looking for a young acoustic artist try this:
This is a young Swedish lady named "Gabriella Quevedo" who is a young Sandra Bullock look-alike.

https://www.youtube....h?v=ze7rEqixCaQ
The song "Sunflower".


View PostLars68, on 04 October 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Very little of the new music coming out from young bands these days really grab me. I had almost given up on finding new stuff, when this song totally floored me.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=lGZXzmM1smM

What a cool song, and a great mix of old and new. My faith in the young generation is restored.

Do not know why, just felt like sharing.
Lars

0

#8 User is offline   Lars68 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1447
  • Joined: 26-October 10

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Thanks for the links guys, both interesting but very different. Too bad she's playing a Taylor [biggrin]

Lars

By the way, always remember that taste is like our backside, it's divided.
0

#9 User is offline   Steverz 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 24-November 08
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

Another song I think is horrible. Nothing but dumb rap. Try these video's from what Eric Clapton calls "A Master Guitarist". Yes, strings involved.

Artist: John Mayer
https://www.youtube....h?v=YfLkO3uwBlQ Who Did You Think I Was (Fender Strat but he has some Les Paul's in his collection, just not this video)
https://www.youtube....h?v=aojTGWAqUIQ (official video) Half of my Heart









View Postlittlejohnny, on 05 October 2017 - 07:18 AM, said:

Hey Lars,
listened yesterday, and will do again. This is interesting, for now I'm not sure if I go all that crazy about them, but i can relate to what you said about hearing new music.

My 8 year old son made me listen to twenty one pilots, and now I've been listening to those guys for almost half a year exclusively. I must admit I'm a total fanboy now. Their creativity and passion really floors me.

And the good thing is, listening to that kind of music, made me really appreciate the music I normally listen to again.

If someone wants to know, what I'm talking about, look here, but be aware, there's not one single stringed instrument:
https://www.youtube....h?v=fEn8BJTKTdg

0

#10 User is offline   littlejohnny 

  • Disciple
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 318
  • Joined: 26-January 08
  • LocationWest Germany

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

View PostSteverz, on 06 October 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Another song I think is horrible. Nothing but dumb rap. Try these video's from what Eric Clapton calls "A Master Guitarist". Yes, strings involved.

Artist: John Mayer
https://www.youtube....h?v=YfLkO3uwBlQ Who Did You Think I Was (Fender Strat but he has some Les Paul's in his collection, just not this video)
https://www.youtube....h?v=aojTGWAqUIQ (official video) Half of my Heart



I'm sorry you don't get the intent of the OP, maybe one could argue, if the OP is appropriate on a forum related to gibson acoustics, or just ignore it.

And by the way, who's this Clapton guy you quote as if he is some kind of authority? :-k
0

#11 User is offline   gfa 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 25-January 16

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

There's sooooo much good acoustic (& acoustic-ish) music being made by young folks. I just became aware of the Secret Sisters, incredible voices and some great songs (try Mississippi or Bad Habit). Just had the pleasure of seeing First Aid Kit live, and they were killer good (try Emmy Lou or King of the World).
0

#12 User is offline   Steverz 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9
  • Joined: 24-November 08
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Good question on "who is this guy that Clapton talks about." Here is an interview with Clapton about 39 year old John Mayer... https://www.youtube....h?v=tzfrXiD1_Rg

I previously included two video's, one acoustic and the other electric.

Here is Mayer performing solo at Berklee College of Music ... electric. https://www.youtube....h?v=qOBb555R66w
Another acoustic performance "Queen of California' https://www.youtube....h?v=chLFi2cFxzo

Have fun.


View Postlittlejohnny, on 06 October 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'm sorry you don't get the intent of the OP, maybe one could argue, if the OP is appropriate on a forum related to gibson acoustics, or just ignore it.

And by the way, who's this Clapton guy you quote as if he is some kind of authority? :-k

0

#13 User is offline   FZ Fan 

  • Billy The Mountain
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 5050
  • Joined: 15-October 13
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:27 PM

View PostLars68, on 04 October 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Very little of the new music coming out from young bands these days really grab me. I had almost given up on finding new stuff, when this song totally floored me.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=lGZXzmM1smM

What a cool song, and a great mix of old and new. My faith in the young generation is restored.

Do not know why, just felt like sharing.
Lars


You hearing something I'm not. I loath that garbage.
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth J Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
20?? - Martin D-18 (On Layaway)

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users