Gibson Guitar Board: FX Loop - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

FX Loop Who Uses Them? Does It Do Anything?

#1 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Billy The Mountain
  • Group: Members
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

I have FX Loops on my Fender Deville and I think my Mesa TA-15. Here are my FX. Dunlop Volume Pedal, Cry Baby Wah, Boss Dyna Comp Compresser, Way Hugh Fat Sanwich Harmonic Saturator, Way Huge Green Rhino Overdrive, Boss Flanger, Boss Chorus, MXR Uni-Vibe, Boss Tremolo, Boss Carbon Copy Delay. Would it be any better to go through the FX Loop and what pedals are supposed to go through the Loop?
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth J Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
20?? - Martin D-18 (On Layaway)

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp

#2 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Usually just delay and modulation pedals are used in the loop. In your case that could include the flanger, chorus, vice, tremolo, and delay.

Basically the purpose is to keep these effects from becoming distorted by the preamp. In most cases I think the effects usually sound better into the front end unless your preamp is set to have a ton of gain/distortion.

The main problem is that most effects loops feed your pedals a line level signal, which is not what the pedals want. Many pedals will distort with a line level signal at the input. Also, I have found many effects loops are just poorly designed and just donít sound good in general.
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#3 User is offline   surfpup 

• Picker and Grinner
  • LocationSaint Augustine, FL

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

What Dub said.... [thumbup] I'd only add that using a booster in a tube amp's effects loop can give you more of a volume boost than using it in the input where it distorts the pre-amp and doesn't increase the volume as much as it increases gain.

#4 User is offline   Megafrog 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern Pennsylvania

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:26 PM

I totally agree with Dub. I like how certain pedals like a chorus, phaser or flanger sound through the loop. Sometimes I put a volume control in the loop to use as an attenuator. This works great on my Deville 410.

#5 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:48 AM

Time based effects go in the effects loop so they don't get messed up by preamp distortion. [thumbup] [thumbup]

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#6 User is offline   badbluesplayer 

• ZIPPER CLUBBER
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

Time based effects go in the effects loop so they don't get messed up by preamp distortion. TC Electronics pedals seem to work well in most effects loops. [thumbup] [thumbup]

TENNESSEE AMPLIFIER COMPANY

#7 User is offline   Riffster 

• Since 1969
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

What Dub said.

You will find arguments online saying "many of the players you grew up listening to did not use them since they did not have them in their amps" but that was before high gain, it would be interesting to know what was the first amp to get an effects loop but my guess would be JCM800.
Struck by the arrow of weakness on the guilded path to forgiveness

#8 User is offline   jdgm 

• Now's The Time!
  • LocationIt's nice to be anywhere

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostRiffster, on 05 October 2017 - 07:20 AM, said:

.....it would be interesting to know what was the first amp to get an effects loop but my guess would be JCM800.

Those came out in 1981. Possibly Mesa-Boogie had them before, but they were exotic and very expensive back then.
I remember I had a Peavey head around that time which had an 'effects' socket, also some of their combos had 'pre-amp out/power amp in' sockets.

These days high-end FX pedals have FX loops...... [smile]

#9 User is offline   rct 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSouthern New Jersey

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

I do remember Peavey having them. We sent the pre amp out to the PV1200 board, which was the size of a sofa.

rct

#10 User is offline   merciful-evans 

• I doubt I'm entitled to a title
  • LocationPortsmouth UK

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

I always used signal processors in the loop which would automatically route through the clean channel and slave the (Fender) amp to it.

I'm now trying the little Fishman amp without the FX loop. There's more to think about, but it sounded pretty good at last band practice.
Hagstrom Deuce / Fylde Acoustic / Variax Standard / Gibson ES-339 / Gibson LP Less+ / PRS SE Custom24 / Hofner HCT-J17 / Camps Spanish / Jackson Soloist / Rickenbacker 650 /Squier Esprit
Miele S5 Power 2200w Vacuum Cleaner
Makita BO3710 Finishing Sander
Verdict 6" vernier scale calipers
Whittard of Chelsea Florence blue teapot
Spear & Jackson 1712PF/INS12 trenching fork

Posted Image put the kettle on
I sometimes think; therefore I am intermittent
my band BLOWN OUT

#11 User is offline   Twang Gang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

Different amps have different types of effects loops but generally things like wah-wah pedals sound best between the guitar and the amp. But rack type signal processors are usually better running through the effects loop. Most of the time the effects loop comes after the pre-amp section so you have to experiment depending on how you normally set your amp.

Some amps have effects loops where you can adjust the send and return signal strength. In that case you can lower both (send and return) and it will act as a power attenuator. The adjustable send/return levels also allow you to adjust for the best signal to noise ratio as well as how much distortion you want.

If you have never used the loop on any of your amps - experiment with it. You may find that you can get a better sound and possibly a lot less noise when using certain pedals.
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2010 Fender Telecaster (Ash)
2006 Taylor Grand Symphony (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2

#12 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:44 AM

I play through a Blackstar TVP amp combo (2x12) at home. Now, I expect you, FZfan, to throw up a little just at the idea of a modelling amp that claims to emulate valves - I'd expect nothing less from you, and I mean that in the nicest possible way, as you're one of my favorite posters on here. But it really is amazing. Believe the hype.

I use nothing at all. The built-in effects are sub-par to my ear, and I get the sounds I want without adding FX. I have an equalizer pedal somewhere that I never use, though...

#13 User is offline   krock 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:30 AM

Jeorge Tripps has openly said that the carbon copy (regular) isnt designed to take a line level signal and isnt intended for fx loops.

Personally I like to run into the front end for everything
Michael Kelly Patriot Limited Spalted | Custom Les Paul DC
Vox Ac4hw | Blackheart Handsome Devil Head & Cab

#14 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Billy The Mountain
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

View PostPinch, on 06 October 2017 - 05:44 AM, said:

I play through a Blackstar TVP amp combo (2x12) at home. Now, I expect you, FZfan, to throw up a little just at the idea of a modelling amp that claims to emulate valves - I'd expect nothing less from you, and I mean that in the nicest possible way, as you're one of my favorite posters on here. But it really is amazing. Believe the hype.

I use nothing at all. The built-in effects are sub-par to my ear, and I get the sounds I want without adding FX. I have an equalizer pedal somewhere that I never use, though...

My wife's uncle got one of those Boss Katana amps and it was really nice. I didn't have a whole lot of time to play with it when I was at his house even though I was there for two weeks. I have 4 tube amps and 2 solid state amps. I used to have a Marshall with one tube in the preamp. I think I am done with amps for a while. I have one bass amp at my house, one solid state 20 watt practice amp, one switchable 5/15/25 watt amp, one 15 watt amp and one 60 watt amp. The Mesa switchable is the best amp I've ever owned. The 60 watt Deville is deafening.
1995 - Fender American Standard Jazz Bass with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth J Bass Neck
1997 - Fender American Standard Tele with Rio Grande Pickups
2000 - Gibson SG Special
2003 - Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat with Rio Grande Pickups and a Warmoth Strat Neck
2009 - Gibson BB King "Lucille" Signature Model
2009 - Kala KA-T Tenor Ukulele
2011 - Martin D-28

2014 - Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II with Lindy Fralin Pure PAF's
20?? - Martin D-18 (On Layaway)

Fender Deville 60 Watt Combo Guitar Amp

Fender Blues Jr. 15 Watt Como Guitar Amp with a Weber Speaker
Mesa Transatlantc TA-15 Head 5W/15W/25W Switchable
Egnater Tweaker 40 Watt Combo Guitar Amp (On Loan To My Son)

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Extension Cab with a Weber Speaker
Acoustic B100 Amp 100 Watt Bass Combo Amp
Orange CrushPiX CRL20 20 Watt Guitar Amp

#15 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:37 AM

i run boss delay and chorus, dd-3 and ce-5, through my marshall jcm2000 401dsl fx loop and it works well for me because i like to play with high gain through a fulltone OCD in the front. It just sounds better through the loop at high gain. The fx loop volume control is one of my fav things about the amp.

I have to do as much as i can to get great tone, to help cover up my actual lack of skills... heehee
Posted Image
2015 Les Paul Studio (MM)
2000 Les Paul Special w/hums

Year? Ibanez RG120
Yamaha FS-311 7/8ths scale Acoustic

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 12" CG 40w
Line 6 Spyder IV 15
Danelectro HT50 in Nifty Fifty cab
Focusrite Scarlett Solo PC USB interface
SM-57 Mic

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1