Gibson Brands Forums

J50 Deluxe

TellyzGuitars

I've not heard this song in over 45 years. At that time South Yorkshire was full of coal mines. All gone now and the pit tips are now green hills with trees. I think the original song is from the Durham mining area in the North East of England. Certainly not Irish.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not heard this song in over 45 years. At that time South Yorkshire was full of coal mines. All gone now and the pit tips are now green hills with trees. I think the original song is from the Durham mining area in the North East of England. Certainly not Irish.

Songs of the end of childhood, the end of innocence and into harsh reality.

Congrats on a great Norlin era box. As others have said there are exceptions.

I played a '75 SJ the other day (Guitar Center in Cincinnati if anyone is interested) that was quite good. It was not the best guitar I have ever played,but if it was the only one I could have I wouldn't complain. I think they had it dated wrong but it was definitely Norlin. Also cracked between pickguard and fretboard. At $2k+ I wasn't interested.

Enjoy it!

The song was written by Englishman Ewan McColl and recorded by The Dubliners with Luke Kelly on lead (should we say over 40 years ago).

Guess the mid 70's ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok0I1mZg1wk

Songs of the end of childhood, the end of innocence and into harsh reality.

Yea, , , and I been wondering who's the 1. person / the teller.

Even asked different guests when playing the Chieftains-album for them here.

Answers came like, a parent, a clever uncle, a sweet aunt, the teacher, maybe the village priest.

Actually have sung it a lot. It's a fine tune and a good exercise for traditional flat-picking.

Oddly, I just got a chance to play a 1970s J-50 the other night that a friend owns. It was not a terrible sounding guitar. I actually thought it sounded better than I had remembered. The best I can describe it though would be the guitar had a subdued sound for a Gibson.

Yea, , , and I been wondering who's the 1. person / the teller.

Even asked different guests when playing the Chieftains-album for them here.

Answers came like, a parent, a clever uncle, a sweet aunt, the teacher, maybe the village priest.

Maybe none of those, maybe all of those. Maybe just the voice in his head, based on everything he's seen in life to this point. His mates finish school (however far that meant), and head off to the pits, like their father and grandfathers did.

In mining villages, there was frequently no other life to pursue. We saw the same in coal-mining parts of West Virginia and Kentucky in this country, up until modern times. Some folks still see that as the only option for them, but it's a dying way to make a living, in more ways than one.

You used to see the same things on farms here, especially in the rural South. There was only one life path for you.

My father was the first and only one of his siblings to break away and go to college, probably to the disappointment of his father, since he was the only son out of many children. His sisters mostly married farmers, and carried it on.

And the beat goes on...

Maybe none of those, maybe all of those. Maybe just the voice in his head, based on everything he's seen in life to this point. His mates finish school (however far that meant), and head off to the pits, ,

A good take - and frankly no one came up with that, , , perhaps because of the several names. He could of course reflect for his buddies also.

We have to notice the gentle tone and the absence of reluctance, skepticism and rebellion.

This makes me think it is an authority, but obviously of the nice kind.

It's not the hard school-master or some officer-father-type giving orders.

We hear someone who has a softer line to the lads, which offers the tune a certain intimacy and in the same move breaks the cliche.

Thus the song shouldn't be bassooned out, but delivered with care. Though slightly melancholic the guy singing with Chieftains gets and nails that splendidly.

And the beat goes on...

In many ways it does.

But then some people invented the concept 'social mobility' - which topped in the 70/80's, , ,

where some in my eyesight even moved the opposite way in solidarity with the so called working class.

I communicate with a couple of those guys to this day - they're doin' fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived