Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: Pleasant surprise

niemepet

I bought a Gibson Flying V HP 2017 yesterday. Guitar is pleasant surprise itself, but in the guitar case there was another small surprise, which made me smiling. Technician has took a photo of the guitar, when it has been checked and put the photo in the case. I have bought many new guitars, but I never got a photo - not with my Les Paul or Custom Shop ES-355.

Guitar setup was perfect right out of the box. No buzz, action is low, easy to play... neck and body joint is really smooth and the strap button is out of the way. "Undercut" frets are really quality stuff and Dirty Fingers+ pickups has a really aggressive sound.

This is a KEEPER!

post-1722-072872300 1507287454_thumb.jpg

Nice!

I don't think I got a pic with my Flying V 2017 T, maybe they only include them every so often?

Never played the Flying V HP, but am super happy with the 2017 T. I know the Dirty Fingers Plus are a tad hotter than my Dirty Fingers, but I'm assuming they sound great, too (I love the Dirty Fingers in my V. You can get a tighter, more scooped sound with other pups popular with James Hetfield devotees, but I doubt you'll find that warm saturation in them. There's no harshness in the distortion even at high gain. It's a thing of beauty.)

Congrats on the guitar. Enjoy!

Thanks guys! There is something magical about white Flying V indeed... FZ Fan already "guess" why I have dream of this guitar for many years. Probably the guitar strap was a good clue. ;-)

Also I like 80's Accept and Anthrax, so... white V is obvious choice.

I have been playing this guitar about week now. It's really something that you can't put down. Maybe I find my other guitars some day, but now it is time for V.

Nice looking V glad you are enjoying it.

The case candy (photo, strap, multi-tool) seems to be something that Gibson USA is putting in with most guitars. But spend two or three times as much for a Custom Shop guitar and you don't get any of that (not even a truss rod wrench)??? [confused]

• 1 month later...
Also I like 80's Accept and Anthrax, so... white V is obvious choice.

If you're a fan of Accept, you should have hunted around for...

I just scratched the itch for a V and got an insane deal on a new 2015 Flying V in Classic White. (Yes, they did make them in 2015)

They did indeed - the 2015 Vs were a limited edition 70s reproduction with the smaller headstock. I had been waiting YEARS for Gibson to produce a Flying V with the smaller headstock, which I have always thought looks far better than the long one. I missed the Rudolph Schenker limited edition in 2013, but then these beauties came out in 2015. So I sold a Strat, a kidney and my grandmother for the white one. It truly is a wonderful guitar in looks, sound and feel.

I've since sold my sister and my girlfriend and am currently impatiently waiting for a 2018 Explorer with my name on it to reach UK shores :)

Where was the 'insane deal', out of interest Wmachine?

I bought a Gibson Flying V HP 2017 yesterday. Guitar is pleasant surprise itself, but in the guitar case there was another small surprise, which made me smiling. Technician has took a photo of the guitar, when it has been checked and put the photo in the case. I have bought many new guitars, but I never got a photo - not with my Les Paul or Custom Shop ES-355.

Guitar setup was perfect right out of the box. No buzz, action is low, easy to play... neck and body joint is really smooth and the strap button is out of the way. "Undercut" frets are really quality stuff and Dirty Fingers+ pickups has a really aggressive sound.

This is a KEEPER!

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for the V? I am eyeing a V as my next purchase. I really enjoyed a project recording with a V guitar. (for sitting and playing, it is delightful..IMO) The one I used was not a Gibson. However, I love the sound and playability of the used Gibby I played at Music-Go-Round yesterday. I want one.

Unlike some of the forunate folks on the forum, money is a serious consideration for me.

BTW Great choice of color!!

Archived