Gibson Brands Forums

Instrumental

BluesKing777

So my new Maton SRS808 is getting broken in after attending BK's Boot Camp and at 5 days old [biggrin] is coming along beautifully, thanks very much. Cedar tops don't take much to get going for fingerpickers.....

Currently training it with the capo on the 3rd fret and the tone is very nice there.

So here is my instrumental version of an ode to Oz - acoustic only recorded with Neumann KM184 to iMac.:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/oz7b

BluesKing777.

Beautiful!I thought when you said ode to Oz - it was going to be "somewhere over the rainbow".

But that was super..Qantas should use it to relax us all in the First Class lounge..(as if I ever get in the first class lounge [biggrin] .

Little Maton cedar is good.

I've never exposed my old dread EM-325 here...but it sounds pretty good - built like a tank though.

Thanks FB.

This new puppy would have no resemblance to your Maton EM-325 - this is a forward shifted scalloped bracing Cedar over Blackwood 00 sized little fingerpicking ripper! (Myself being infatuated with Cedar over Blackwood since the Lowden S35 wanted a twin with pickup system - this is will do the trick ...)

I the last few days, I have tortured it this way and that, even fired up the amp to screaming feedback level, raced to the closest music shop with special size Maton soundhole plugs, didn't work, will have to turn down. [unsure]

If you are a fingerpicker, you need to try one of these...but first you would have to find one if you don't live here! Ha Ha, we get all the good stuff. Flawless, hand built little lightly built gem! Ignore the bad press about the guitars made in the 70s, same with some other brands ...ahem..... [unsure]

Here are the twins - both Cedar over Blackwood [smile] :

y7UewJOh.jpg

jaAlF9sh.jpg

3m0bWpdh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Man, that thing sounds nice. I may have to Goggle around and try to find one to get my grubbies on....

Hey, thanks Murph!

I saw a few of their range listed at Artisan Guitars, Nashville.

(Of course, I got the good one already, so....) [mellow]

BluesKing777.

Thanks Jalex!

Hey, I came across a strange thing with the neck on the Maton, possibly radius related, and that is that my trusty Shubbs don't hold the string when I do a blues bend - the string stays bent upwards and then it will be out of tune.... the Shubbs are the ONLY ones that don't do this to me on my other guitars. Bummer.

So I tried other failures from my capo collection of all the current top dogs - worse!

I looked up some old AGF threads and one chap suggested putting TWO capos on to stop the problem. Aha! I tried 3! (one on the required fret, one on the fret back and another on the first fret - so the scientific physics explanation would be that the Fulcrum of the string is now getting a car wash at the Albert Hall full of holes). So we don't know...BUT....

It works! [tongue][biggrin][thumbup]

BluesKing777.

Archived