Gibson Brands Forums

Do ‘17 and ‘18 LP tribute GoldTops have the same shade of gold?

TXepi

I stopped by GC today and up high were two Gibson Les Paul tribute goldtops, side by side. A 2017 and 2018. It looked to me that the ‘17 had a slightly brighter shade of gold.

Does anyone know if Gibson is using the same shade of gold on both models or are all goldtops slightly different? I still want one no matter what.

I think you answered your own question.

Only after a little investigating and not hearing from anyone else on this topic.

I do prefer the darker shade of gold paired with a nice medium brown back. There’s one on there that almost looks like they forgot to stain the back. It’s really light, almost natural looking.

Check it out

post-77662-042932700 1508215955_thumb.jpeg

I stopped by GC today and up high were two Gibson Les Paul tribute goldtops, side by side. A 2017 and 2018. It looked to me that the ‘17 had a slightly brighter shade of gold.

Does anyone know if Gibson is using the same shade of gold on both models or are all goldtops slightly different? I still want one no matter what.

Hey TX;

Since they are a metallic colour and sprayed by hand there will be variations in lightness and chroma even if they are using the same lot of paint. Typically if your are hand spraying a colour like the gold, the drier the application the lighter and more washed out the end result will end up. If the application is wetter the darker are more chromatic (richer) the colour will be. The difference can be because one operator sprays with the gun closer to the guitar during spraying than another, could be the paint was reduced with a wetter slower evaporating solvent. Of coarse there is no guarantee that they are supplied with paint that is exactly the same batch to batch either.

One a good day I could spray them all the same (or close enough to the naked eye), on a bad day they are all gonnna look a little different. Hope you can find the combination of colour and play ability that works for you.

Johnny

Hope you can find the combination of colour and play ability that works for you.

Johnny

That’s another thing, I prefer the ‘16 tribute necks. The ‘17’s and ‘18’s are thinner it seems. I’m gonna give it a try with the 2018

Thanks

Archived