Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Trade

go_cowboys

What's up Les Paul fans!!!! I'm considering trading my 16 LP Standard for an older model. Wise choice or hang on to it? I'd like to read your input. Model's from 2001 or older.

What is your reasoning for starting to consider this? What do you not like about the current guitar you have that makes you believe that an older model will fill that void? As far as a wise choice, that is not something anyone can really put words to easily. Are you a collector or player? Are you trying to make some sort of investment on this instrument? Pretty much, you should explain in depth your thought process on why you are even entertaining this question to a forum because that part is not clearly explained in your post. If you can discuss further, I am sure you will get the type of feedback you are seeking meaning that your specific questions should be able to be answered.

Great point Nighthawk...... I was not clear. Thanks for pointing that out. Just curious on players who might own older LP's feel about them. I'm not talking about vintage maybe 90's and above. It's not for investment, not to collect. Just wondering.

I like newer LP's (2012 to present) vs. my '60's. Newer ones seem to be finished better or more precise in its build. I don't have any '90 LP's so I can't compare. But I do have other ES types made in the 90's. I do not think you will gain anything getting a 90's LP...unless you want one that might look a little relic'd and faded...that also looks attractively vintage.

Bottom line, it's up to you... whatever makes you happy and inspires you to play more! Best to keep it and get another one... msp_thumbup.gif.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As has already been asked; Why are you considering the change?

I'm guessing that you think an earlier model might be better. Why do you think this?

Is there something you don't like about your guitar?

Is there something you do like about earlier guitars?

FWIW my four LPs all happen to be from the period '91 - '95 but nowadays there are no 'good guitar years' and no 'bad guitar years' - merely different specs from one year to the next. Some of the recently made LPs are amongst the best I've tried in over 40 years of playing. If your '16 is a really good one and you like its features and there is nothing about an earlier model that you particularly prefer (*) then there's absolutely no reason to believe an older one would be any better in any department.

Pip.

* There ARE some differences in the details - hence my own personal choice of examples.

Guest Farnsbarns

Modern Vs traditional weight relief and the width of the binding in the cutaway is going to be about the only difference. You'll never know about the former and the latter seems such an insignificant detail. Until you're comparing specific guitars there's basically no difference.

Again, you really have to ask yourself what you might gain and what you might lose. There must be a reason you're considering this?

Have not been a Standard fan, mostly because of the electric circuit board used in the later years. I prefer Traditionals and now the new Classic (w/RW fretboards).

I'm sure the new ones are great, but if I could have an earlier one that had the old school wiring, and all the other specs were good - why not?

My thoughts on equipment is unless you absolutely detest it or will have absolutely no apprehension to let it go, then do it, otherwise what is the point? I have sold NOTHING of mine over the years, because the utility I get is worth more than the return on the sale. Being that I have not sold anything, I now have this extensive collection of musical equipment that I find myself coming back to appreciate all over again at times. Again, unless it is 100% mandatory and you can 100% live without what you are discarding, then trade up and enjoy, otherwise keep your stuff... It is not good to have regrets in this situation...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think there is anything about a 90's LP that is going to wow you over the model you have. The newer models have quite a few features that were not offered on the older ones (push/pulls for coil split, compound radius fingerboards, locking tuners). You will take a beating on the trade-in value of your 2016, and not sure you would get anything that is "better" by buying a 20 year older guitar.

As the OP has been a member since mid-2010 but hadn't posted anything in the preceeding seven and a half years before asking the original question and as he hasn't been active since his only reply in this thread on the very same day he posted the original query two weeks ago it's doubtful whether our views/experiences/advice is/are going to be of much help or, indeed, interest.

Then again; perhaps he's a man of few words who just likes to read?...

Pip.

Archived