Gibson Brands Forums

Frustrating 57 Classic/Classic Plus Problem

canon_mutant

I have been playing for 25 years and the 57 Classic - Classic plus combination has always been one of my favorite combinations for mainly classic rock and blues. I have owned 4 guitars to date and still own 2 that have these pups in them that have all been great.

I recently bought a 2017 Gibson Classic guitar that had to go back because the neck was mucked up but while I had it I noticed that the neck pup was warm and wonderful like I was used to but the bridge was thin with a quite noticeable volume drop compared to the neck and compared to my other guitars. Since that guitar was returned for the neck problem that solved the pup problem too. I instead ordered an Epiphone Tribute Plus that has Gibson 57 Classic/Classic Plus pups and the guitar is wonderful, highly recommended, except . . . it has the exact same problem with those 57 Classic pups.

I took a DC measurement and these Classic Plus pups are less than 8K like they are just Classics. My other 2 guitars are 8.6K and 8.8K. Sweetwater and Gibson claim these new ones are "in spec" so nothing they can do even though with the neck pup adjusted clear down even with its surround and the bridge pup up within 1/8 of the strings, if you put the neck volume on 8 with the bridge on 10 they are equal in volume. I'm sorry, that is NOT right. Granted the Epi may well have cheap pots and caps but it sounds just like the Gibson Classic did.

The one difference between these and my others? These are 4 wire pups. Previously they were all 2 wire.

Important Part: So, I disconnected the green/white wires from the circuitry and tied them together leaving them out of circuit creating a 2 wire connection and . . . no change at all. Now, I know plenty of other pups I can slap in there to make a guitar I am happy with but I "should" be happy with the Classic Plus in there.

Anyone else noticed this?

• 1 month later...

I have been playing for 25 years and the 57 Classic - Classic plus combination has always been one of my favorite combinations for mainly classic rock and blues. I have owned 4 guitars to date and still own 2 that have these pups in them that have all been great.

I recently bought a 2017 Gibson Classic guitar that had to go back because the neck was mucked up but while I had it I noticed that the neck pup was warm and wonderful like I was used to but the bridge was thin with a quite noticeable volume drop compared to the neck and compared to my other guitars. Since that guitar was returned for the neck problem that solved the pup problem too. I instead ordered an Epiphone Tribute Plus that has Gibson 57 Classic/Classic Plus pups and the guitar is wonderful, highly recommended, except . . . it has the exact same problem with those 57 Classic pups.

I took a DC measurement and these Classic Plus pups are less than 8K like they are just Classics. My other 2 guitars are 8.6K and 8.8K. Sweetwater and Gibson claim these new ones are "in spec" so nothing they can do even though with the neck pup adjusted clear down even with its surround and the bridge pup up within 1/8 of the strings, if you put the neck volume on 8 with the bridge on 10 they are equal in volume. I'm sorry, that is NOT right. Granted the Epi may well have cheap pots and caps but it sounds just like the Gibson Classic did.

The one difference between these and my others? These are 4 wire pups. Previously they were all 2 wire.

Important Part: So, I disconnected the green/white wires from the circuitry and tied them together leaving them out of circuit creating a 2 wire connection and . . . no change at all. Now, I know plenty of other pups I can slap in there to make a guitar I am happy with but I "should" be happy with the Classic Plus in there.

Anyone else noticed this?

I bought a 2015 Les Paul studio with those pickups and took the guitar to my setup guy who is well known and respected in the sf bay area. After 3 or 4 return trips for adjustments, I decided I do not like the pickups very much at all. I posted here and there about the problem you mention that i also have, and the responses also made me think it was a matter of my prerference, as well. In your case, having heard 57's before, and having taken meter readings, I am thinking that I am not so crazy after all. My bridge pick up is way to quacky if i turn the tone past 2.5 or 3. I have to leave it about 2 and lower the treb on the amp and this is after having a professional set up the pickp up height and poles, like 3 times. Ill try and get meter readings on it next time i break out my meter, which is a cheap one that only works like 10% of the time.

My previous gibson had 498t in that position which i loved, til the b string pole magnet started giving me some weird false harmonic chime that I could not fix only a year after i bought the guitar new. I wonder how consistent are gibson pickups at passing QC and what standards must they meet to pass for acceptable.

Archived