Gibson Guitar Board: 2015 Gibson ES-335 - Speedbump frets when sliding - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2015 Gibson ES-335 - Speedbump frets when sliding

#1 User is offline   timmilesmusic 

• Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:00 AM

Hello all,

I have a question. I am new to the ES-335 and have been used to Fenders my whole life and acoustics. I have noticed with my 2015 ES-335 that when I slide, especially on the G,B,E higher strings It feels like my fingers continuously hit the frets. I have seen it described as "Speed bumps" and it generally makes sliding quite difficult. What could be causing this? Is it simply poor technique? or does it sound as though it could be something more?

While on the subject of frets, I also get a scraping type sound when bending as the strings rub along the fret. The guitar is a 2015 and was recently set up and the tech said all looked okay. I am starting to wonder if I need a new tech. Strings on it are Elixirs, been on there about 2 months and don't show any sign of rusting. Any advice? Thanks!

#2 User is offline   kaicho8888 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:01 AM

If you are used to Fenders, speed bumps on Gibson could be due to the differing frets. Fenders are fatter vs thinner Gibson frets.

Gritty or sandy frets when bending...you need to polish your frets. Quick fix, you can use 600 sandpaper then Mother's Mag polish. Use painter's blue tape to protect the fretboard or a fret protector.

Posted Image
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

#3 User is offline   Versatile 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:07 AM

Hi t-m-m.....and welcome to the forums.....[thumbup]

The issues described sound slightly vague unless they can be observed in person....

Fret height and fingerboard radius will play a part.....Gibson vs Fender....

Personally no issues experienced playing ES335 compared to Fender Strat and Tele.....

Suggest you visit a friendly shop and play a different ES335 to make comparisons....

Talking face to face with guitar in hand to someone with knowledge should pinpoint any issues....

Good Luck....!!

V

:-({|=
Fiddling at the Pearly Gates
or somewhere
Lower and Warmer....

I like kayaking....it really floats my boat....

I dig most stuff....

#4 User is offline   kaicho8888 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCity of Rock'n Roll San Francisco

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

My son only plays Fenders and he always comments on rough speedbumps on Gibsons. Thicker med jumbo frets are less bumpy than skinny frets. Gibson also has a bus top contoured fret crowing vs. Fender's rounded crowing top. You can crown the Gibson frets more to make them rounder or feeling less of a sharp edge.

I'm just use to both types, and don't notice the "speed bump" plek'd Gibson frets.
Old Rockers never die; we just fade away! 会長

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users