Gibson Brands Forums

Dropped into Rudy's Music NYC ....almost came out with a Huss & Dalton

EuroAussie

Ive just spent 2 weeks in the US, a week in Florida for work and then a week in NYC for fun.

Had a couple great evenings in Terra Blues where those cats can really play some great blues, highly recommned it if youre in NYC. They even had Pilsner Urquell on tap !

But also did a trip to Rudys Music which is a treat every time. One of the nicest guitar spaces Ive come across and also gives you that 'wow' feeling when you walk in.

Spent all time in the acoustic section, always nice to play soem of the less accessable brands and had a good run on some Froggy Botoms, Collings, Goodalls and then I came across this Huss & Dalton DS Crossroads.

Almost bought the damn thing ... the best modern J-45 Ive come across. Torrified top, old mahongay, the bass was thunderous, never heard such old time bass coming from a new guitar. Just a wonderful specifmen in evey way. But in the end didnt buy it, put new strings on my AJ and SJ (was thinking of sellign them to finance this one) but with new strings the smile returned. But i still might one day buy it if I find one and the timing is right.

Played also a 47' J-45 (very average) a superb 38' J-35 and one of those Grand SJ-200's that was rosewood custom job made by Ren, and ..... it sucked. Quitet, very little projection, no inspiraiton. (you can see them abvoe my head in last pic)

Sal, Zomby ... if you pop into Rudys, have a go at this Huss & Dalton, tell me what you think .... is it as good as I think it is ?

cheers,

EA

bGVKRsm.jpg

nkXm0kB.jpg

oRdm8yR.jpg

Mg0DxoW.jpg

Glad you made it over there. The last time I was in Rudy's there was no such thing as a Huss & Dalton guitar. But take Rudy's and multiply it by ten and you will get an idea of what 48th Street was like when I started going over there in the mid-1960s. I do have my 50th High School Reunion coming up and I am actually thinking of going to this one. If I do I will probably wander down to Rudy's. Depending on how long I hang around I will also make a run up to New Paltz to visit Imperial Music. Back in the early 1980s they were known as Rainbow Music and had a store in Hopewell Junction NY which was just a bit up the road from where I was living in Putnam Valley. Same guy still runs it. I loved that place and have great memories of it.

Wow... Nice shop

Wish there was such thing in my area... This kind of shop kinda disappeared here. Can't even recall it existed now...

Guess you had some fun there, thanks for sharing the nice pics (would have been even better with a new axe and a record!).

Rudys can be seen , as can Rudy himself , in this guitar story with mark knopfler

Lots of complaints about shops closing down due to ‘this and that’ but rudys looks in fine fettle

Why you reckon that is ?

I met with Rudy, he came in on the 2nd day i was there. We were comparing women from Prague to women from NY ... we both agreed the Czech ladies were better, way less neurotic (he's Argentinian).

We started haaggling about prices, hes the worst guitar player i heard, sausage fingers, but he loves music and guitars, great guy.

I was asking same question to one of the staff, how the hell they can cover the rent on this place but they reckon he has other investments which fund this hobby of his.

Rudys can be seen , as can Rudy himself , in this guitar story with mark knopfler

Lots of complaints about shops closing down due to ‘this and that’ but rudys looks in fine fettle

Why you reckon that is ?

Rudy's is also not what it once was. In his heyday he operated two stores. He closed his 48th Street store a year or two back as did virtually every other guitar shop that had been there. The problem was rising rent.

Mannys was the place to go look at photos. They had signed photos of everybody who had made purchases at the store from Gene Krupa to Dylan to Hendrix on the walls. They even still had a guitar Pete Townsend had dropped and broken. Story was they used to open up at midnight so Hendrix could shop and not be bothered.

Archived