Gibson Brands Forums

AJ serial number - possible mistake

1Hokie

I have a question about the AJ that my father gave me a few years ago. The guitar was made in Bozeman and has an 8 digit serial number. The first digit on the inside sticker is a "9" but the first digit stamped into the back top of the headstock is a "6." If I had to guess, I would say that the 6 on the headstock was meant to be a 9, and whoever stamped the first digit did so upside down. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or have you heard of this before? I love my AJ. My father gave it to me when he started getting arthritis in his fingers and could no longer play. I have always loved music, but that generous gift is what spurned me to learn to play. I'm not a great guitar player, but what I do know I owe to him. Thanks Dad.

It would have to be a 9. Guitar would have been built 1990-1999 with a 9 prefix, I believe. First digit tells you the decade, fifth digit the year. 9xxx6xxx= 1996. A Bozeman guitar with a regular serial number should not have a 6 prefix.

Your father did you a great favor. Tell him you love him, if he's still around to hear you say it.

Yes, it's a 1991, according to Gibson's email they sent me. And yes, he gave me an incredible gift. He loved to pick with his friends and he loved to perform. He and his friends used to go around to all of the old time fiddler's conventions in the Appalachian region of Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia in the 90's. A bunch of 60+ year olds, which included my dad, would go to those conventions and camp out and just pick all the time. I never went with him, which I regret. And I never really picked with him, because I wasn't motivated enough to learn. But he taught me G, C, and D, and I never forgot those chords, plus I learned a few more. Dad has Parkinson's, and he is slowly getting worse. But he has seen me play in church a couple of times, which means alot to me. I definitely thank him for the guitar on a regular basis, and I tell him I love him, though not as much as I should.

Thanks for responding to my question. I look forward to interacting with you and fellow Gibson brethren in the future.

Archived