Gibson Brands Forums

My brother caught a family pet today

brc

My older brother lives maybe 6-7 min. from me and lives on a nice lake.

He caught a 9’3” 300 pound alligator in his back yard today and acted like in was a walk in the park.

He texted me a video of him tying up that monster , and I about had a sh— fit.

After the hurricane here last month the gators are getting pretty bold.

People living on lakes are keeping close eyes on their pets.

My brother told me over the last few years 4 or 5 neighbors have lost their dogs to gators.

Not fer me, no sir ree Bob. Think I will pass

Kinda grew partial to my arms and legs and would like to keep them.

Keeping arms and legs attached to your body is indeed a priority Bill.

Hey Jorge, how are you ? How is the family?

I see where you are working on your guitar.

Should be cool when you get it completed.

During a recent 3 week visit to Florida, we rented a villa which was opposite a children's play park. Next to that was a small lake. Just feet from the play area was a sign warning for Aligators.

Nice!...

That reminds me of the little boy who was killed by a gator at Disney World less than 2 months ago, playing in a “safe” lake.

His family could’nt do a damn thing about it, it happened so fast.

a boy who was killed by a gator... playing in a "safe" lake.

Yeah, very bad. Poor kid. I don't know if there is such a thing as a safe lake in FL. When I lived in G'ville a woman walking her small dog on campus had it snatched off the end of her lead by a gator. There are many lakes and ponds on and around the campus with walking and jogging trails that run very close to the water. There is all kinds of vegetation around them so the gators can be hard to see if you're not looking closely.

When I lived in G'ville a woman walking her small dog on campus had it snatched off the end of her lead by a gator. There are many lakes and ponds on and around the campus with walking and jogging trails that run very close to the water. There is all kinds of vegetation around them so the gators can be hard to see if you're not looking closely.

I grew up there. Lake Alice and Lake Wauberg are the worst because students feed the gators! I spent my childhood in canoes on gator filled lakes and never had a single problem. They tend to fear us. But Lake Alice and Lake Wauberg are exceptions. Those are some dangerous gators. The only ones I've seen without fear of people.

I'm guessing the flooding has changed the contact patterns in a lot of the state and brought on some new problems.

I grew up there. Lake Alice and Lake Wauberg are the worst because students feed the gators! I spent my childhood in canoes on gator filled lakes and never had a single problem. They tend to fear us. But Lake Alice and Lake Wauberg are exceptions. Those are some dangerous gators. The only ones I've seen without fear of people.

I'm guessing the flooding has changed the contact patterns in a lot of the state and brought on some new problems.

Very true. Gators are naturally pretty standoffish around people (at least on land). They'd rather scoot away if you get too close than attack you. When they've been fed by people, then you have a problem. And lots of people do it.

Crocs are much more aggressive than Gators. Average anyway from what I hear. That's pretty bold anyway for someone to take on a large Gator unless you have enough experience with them. Most people probably have seen enough experts take one on though. Sneak up behind them, quickly jump on its back and press down on its jaw and lock its mouth. They have tremendous pressure closing their jaws but little opening them. Still, I wouldn't take one on let alone a 9 footer.

The video that he sent me, they used ropes about 10’ each.

Some how they managed to get one rope on its upper jaw area and my brother was tugging the rope to the right side.

Then the second guy managed to get another rope on its upper jaw and tugged from the left side.

But both ropes were only on the gators upper jaw, which it still could open its mouth.

Some how they managed to loop one rope around the lower jaw and was able to tighten up the rope so it’s mouth was some what closed.

Then they did jump on its back and held its mouth closed until they duct taped the living sh— out its mouth.

I asked him what they were going to do with it, and I guess if it’s a nuisance gator, they kill it and give the meat to local charities, food banks.

But if it is not bothering any one, they relocate the gator.

This gator was taken away and put down with a 22 rifle.

That was a pretty big SOB though, 9’3”. weighed in at 311 pounds.

But again, not fer me !

Just a little bit different from the ol SoCal life huh Bill?

Hey Mr. T.

I read that you are in Chicago ?

How’s the weather there.

Is it work or vacation?

Any progress on your guitar ?

Haveva piece of Chicago pizza for me.

Yeah I’m here on vacation. It has been really fun so far, haven’t had pizza yet but we have had a TON of beer. We went to the Lagunitas brewery last night and right when we showed up they started giving out free beers until closing. They make some pretty strong and tasty beers so that was absolutely amazing

The winter hasn’t hit here yet. Kinda feels like Arrowhead or something without the high altitude right now

The guitar I’m thinking about buying some tool from stewmac to install the tuner bushings so I don’t eff up the finish. Got the electronics and shielding done so far

You should get some gator skin boots!!

Unfortunately, those have appeared in South Florida too... well Nile Crocodiles at least. Not sure of the genealogical differences.

When you say they've "appeared", haven't they always been there, or are you suggesting they were introduced?

Salties seem to be the meanest overall. as you would expect from this country! We lost an older woman just this week on her walk and didn't return. Salties will watch and if you present a pattern they are liable to be waiting for you.......SURPRISE!!!

When you say they've "appeared", haven't they always been there, or are you suggesting they were introduced?

Yes, my impression (though my memory has been faulty before) is that they were introduced like the peacock bass, Cuban tree frogs, and other invasive species that find south Florida hospitable.

I don't have a lot of need for firearms here in central Mass... but I gotta tell ya,, if I was living down south where these things roam freely, I would have have to find a .50 cal that I could keep handy.. f------ dat.........

Unfortunately, those have appeared in South Florida too... well Nile Crocodiles at least. Not sure of the genealogical differences.

Arthur: The swallow may fly south with the sun, or the house maarten or the plummer may seek warmer climes in winter, but these are not strangers to our land! Guard: Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate? Arthur: Not at all! They could be carried.

Archived