Gibson Brands Forums

Less is more

awel

Yesterday I had a gig with that brand new 2016 Les Paul Trad T, and I have decided to live without a pedalboard, the weight, the power cable in front of you, ...

So I say, only the wha my good old BB Preamp overdrive, a tuner (because it was the first time I played this Les Paul, so I didn't know how she will stay in tune; very well by the way)

**** happens, and my BB Preamp has failed the day before the show, no time to check for repair, so I pick a Maxon OD-808 from my old pedal.

And you know what, I got my tone, what a pleasure to have almost nothing in front of you except the audience.

All the controls via the Vol and Tone of the guitar.

Less is more really

IMG_3919.jpg

That's the way to go Awel. I only own two pedals an Overdrive and a wah wah and I rarely use those, in fact I haven't ever used them live but I may do one day.

Ian

Totally agree with you but with a Fender amp, except if you are Bonamassa, and you put your Twin volume on 8 and of course play in stadium, it is difficult to avoid an OD pedal :-)

Totally agree with you but with a Fender amp, except if you are Bonamassa, and you put your Twin volume on 8 and of course play in stadium, it is difficult to avoid an OD pedal :-)

Yes Awel, but I use a Fender Blues Junior, I find it's plenty load enough for venues that I play in and I can get all the distortion that I need by using the two volume controls.

Joe Bonamassa explains it well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE

Ian

Yes Awel, but I use a Fender Blues Junior, I find it's plenty load enough for venues that I play in and I can get all the distortion that I need by using the two volume

Ian

Yes already seen this video, I use to have a junior and I like the sound but was always afraid if I have to play in a bigger venue that I miss some watts.

That's why I have Supersonic 22w, which has 2 channels, I could use the drive channel and avoid the od, but I like the taste of an external od pedal on the clean channel

Archived