Gibson Brands Forums

Ryan Adams album

livemusic

Themisal member here played a Ryan Adams song that I was not familiar with. Can anyone recommend what you think is a good album of his? I need to go through my collection and see if I have anything by him. Seems I should, I do like his music. I have a lot of cd's and always buying more!

I can give you my fave 3 (he has a lot of other albums, but they typically only have a couple songs that I like):

1. Gold

2. Demolition

3. Love is Hell (more depressing, but I really like it)

I would say these albums are closer to Indy / Americana genres than some of his other stuff with the Cardinals.

I’ve had the immense pleasure of hanging out with Ryan a couple of times. He gets a bit of a bad rap as a person but I found him really warm and funny.

That aside, he’s never really made a bad record. My favourites are Cold Roses, 29 and Love Is Hell, but you can really dive into his catalogue anywhere and find plenty to enjoy.

Special mention must go to his pre-solo band, Whiskeytown, who made three sublime albums. Stranger’s Almanac in particular is an absolute classic of the ‘90s alt.country movement.

I think, in time, Ryan will come to be regarded as the successor to Neil Young-he has the same prolificacy, melodic and lyrical flair, inimitable vocal and guitar quicksilver.

Yeah. A proper favourite for me

Heartbreaker is his best

If you like stonesy rock then gold is where to start

Cold roses is a classic

Not too fond of his latest two as they are a bit ‘80’s which is where his head is at I guess

His live at Carnegie hall is purely solo acoustic and is brilliant , if you’re Spotify then get the deluxe version a real treasure

Ashes and fire is fantastic

Jacksonville nights if you’re a country guy , pedal steel etc

And yes whiskeytown stuff is great too

Do a google search for ‘Ryan Adams best album’ you’ll not go far wrong following the votes

The best Ryan Adams album was never released, you can get it for free on the internet, here for example

you can find various mixes of this show, even in very high quality on the net for free too.

Mr Adams is quite a chameleon, a fact I respect very much. I don't like everything he did or does.

As far as his studio albums go, I'd say these four are essential:

1) Heartbreaker (Gillian Welch and David Rawlings were involved in the making, Emmylou Harris sings on one song, pretty straight forward folk, (alt-)country classic rock approach)

2)Gold (poppier approach, some like it, some think production is a bit ordinary, but just too many good songs here)

3) Cold Roses ( so many brilliant songs)

4) Love is Hell ( this works best as a whole album, as others stated its depressing, haunting or whatever, has a bit of a 80ies feel, shows how much he likes the Smith.

Themisal member here played a Ryan Adams song that I was not familiar with. Can anyone recommend what you think is a good album of his? I need to go through my collection and see if I have anything by him. Seems I should, I do like his music. I have a lot of cd's and always buying more!

That's a tough recommendation to give. He's recorded everything from soft acoustic ballads to grungy rock 'n roll. Some great songs, and some not so great.

That's a tough recommendation to give. He's recorded everything from soft acoustic ballads to grungy rock 'n roll. Some great songs, and some not so great.

+1 to Stranger Almanac, maybe even start there

I’ve had the immense pleasure of hanging out with Ryan a couple of times. He gets a bit of a bad rap as a person but I found him really warm and funny.

That aside, he’s never really made a bad record. My favourites are Cold Roses, 29 and Love Is Hell, but you can really dive into his catalogue anywhere and find plenty to enjoy.

Special mention must go to his pre-solo band, Whiskeytown, who made three sublime albums. Stranger’s Almanac in particular is an absolute classic of the ‘90s alt.country movement.

I think, in time, Ryan will come to be regarded as the successor to Neil Young-he has the same prolificacy, melodic and lyrical flair, inimitable vocal and guitar quicksilver.

When I started this thread, I could not have possibly envisioned the amount of different recommendations. That's amazing! There are some common picks, though.

I had no idea R.A. put so many albums in such relatively short periods of time. I note he has more than one 'double CDs' and wonder why. I mean, if you have 18 songs or even more, they will all fit on one CD. I wonder if it was done to imply value. Something I have wondered about for my own upcoming release. I have plenty of songs.

When I started this thread, I could not have possibly envisioned the amount of different recommendations. That's amazing! There are some common picks, though.

I had no idea R.A. put so many albums in such relatively short periods of time. I note he has more than one 'double CDs' and wonder why. I mean, if you have 18 songs or even more, they will all fit on one CD. I wonder if it was done to imply value. Something I have wondered about for my own upcoming release. I have plenty of songs.

love ryan!

my favourites from his official releases are: heartbreaker, love is hell and 29.

ryan has also made many amazing albums that for one reason or another were never officially released. So i'd also check out some of those - in particular: suicide handbook, 48 hours and darkbreaker.

His live recordings (both nights) at Carnegie Hall showcase some nice solo acoustic arrangements. In between songs, you can hear that humor that Jinder was talking about.

Yeah. It’s a special person who starts a show at Carnegie hall with an angry birds story

Distant from Jon Bon jovi springing up from a trapdoor in the stage

Archived