Gibson Brands Forums

Another One On The Work Bench

zombywoof

This time it is a mid-1960s Harmony-made Sovereign. While I initially though it was a Silvertone the ghost imprint of the logo does not seem to match up. The headstock was busted clean off and there are two nasty cracks in the back. Got the neck all glued up and clamped. I will set about getting some cleats ready to go tomorrow morning so when I pull the clamps off I will be ready to have a go at the cracks. Neck repairs for me though are nerve racking. You keep waiting to hear the sound of cracking wood as you are stringing them up. I generally am not at ease with this kind of repair until the guitar has survived a few weeks. On the other hand I have nothing to lose. If the repair fails I have another neck I can put on the guitar. And if this one is typical of the breed it will need a neck reset anyway. Just keeping my fingers crossed. Sure is a pretty burst though.

L1010956.jpg

That looks like a nice clean break, with plenty of gluing surface. You have your choice of glues to use with a break like that, and the results should be good.

What glue are you using on this, and how much clamping pressure?

That looks like a nice clean break, with plenty of gluing surface. You have your choice of glues to use with a break like that, and the results should be good.

What glue are you using on this, and how much clamping pressure?

Yeah, no wood loss on this one just a bit of veneer. I am using Titebond I. Do not have a clue as to the pressure as I just go by feel. Never said I knew what I was doing. I would never attempt this kind of repair on a 1930s L-00 or something. But these Sovereigns are easy to find and can be purchased on the cheap. I just have always had a soft spot for these guitars. Virtually no change in build, feel or sound from the late 1950s to the curtain closed on them in 1971. But

It's Alive. I got the neck stuck back on, the back cracks cleated up and strung it up. It has stayed in tune which I take as a good sign. Still got to replace some missing stuff and do a bunch of finish touch up. This old gal had been rode hard and put away wet. There was a previous break in the neck heel that had been repaired (probably because somebody had kept drilling holes in it to try and install a strap lock) and so many repairs on the back it looks like a glue pot exploded in there. But right now I am going to just play the heck out of it as it will take me a bit to stop waiting for the sound of splintering wood.

Glad it worked out for you. One method I use when reattaching a headstock is installing a reinforcement dowel between the two pieces. It is not visible greatly reduces my fear of separation after it is strung up.

Glad it worked out for you. One method I use when reattaching a headstock is installing a reinforcement dowel between the two pieces. It is not visible greatly reduces my fear of separation after it is strung up.

Last one I fixed (an old Guild) I installed four dowels. Just a bit of overkill there. The neck on this guitar though is in really rough shape. I do not want to sand it down to smooth it out as that takes away one of my favorite features of these guitars. Even the binding is a mess. I have another Sovereign I can snag a neck off of but I may just wait it out and find a parts guitar. At this point I will slap a new pickguard, nut, saddle, and TRC on it and let the guitar take its chances.

Archived