Gibson Brands Forums

2018 LP Classic already stripped

StRanger7032

Well, The Stratosphere has wasted no time in stripping down and parting out 2018 Gibsons. They already have at least 10, including the LP Classic goldtop I planned to buy this year. I'm tempted to grab it for $1100 and build it up myself like I did with the SG Standard in my avatar. Still doing the math to see if it can save enough money to make losing the warranty worthwhile. For those not familiar with The Stratosphere, its a guitar shop in New Hampshire that strips down new guitars and sells the parts separately. It sounds sketchy, but they're legit. I guess they make a few extra bucks selling all the pieces individually over selling the whole thing. https://stratosphereparts.com/2018-gibson-usa-les-paul-classic-body-neck-project-american-p-90-goldtop/

Yes, it sounds sketchy and I've never understood how they get away with it. They are re-selling, and that is not legal for the most part.

rct

Curious, what is illegal about it? They bought the guitars outright. I built a few Strats using their parts.

I bought an SG from them, they are an authorized dealer by the looks of the label on the box. In my case the guitar was Mail to them directly from Gibson.

To me a 2018 classic would not be worth buying from them since that's a guitar I would leave stock.

Curious, what is illegal about it? They bought the guitars outright. I built a few Strats using their parts.

Remember the guy that bought guitars, unboxed them then sold them as new? That's re-selling. You can't do that. Nothing would ever be on sale if you could just walk into a Martin guy, buy something at 40% off list, then sell it as new for 20% off list. I guess because it's taken apart it's ok.

rct

The only thing discouraging me so far is the loss of resale value. I have a bad track record in terms of keeping Les Pauls for long.

How do you sell something like that? As a Gibson Les Paul Classic?

rct

How do you sell something like that? As a Gibson Les Paul Classic?

rct

I guess you'd have to disclose where you got it and all the parts you put into it. My SG I got from them won't get sold until my estate sale many decades from now (hopefully), so I'll leave that to whoever is running that show!

Why can't I buy a guitar and take all the parts off it and sell it. People sell guitars on the bay all the time and no one cry's. Whats the difference If I sell the whole guitar or just one tuner?

You can. If you paid retail and you part it out I suppose some group of suckers could help you get close to recouping what you spent. You sure aren't going into business by buying at retail and selling parts at retail, it won't work.

These guys are selling either really cut rate whole Les Pauls that they take apart and re-sell, or, Gibson is selling them new bodies and necks with no hardware of any kind. Either way I don't understand it. They seem to be the only place you can get a stripped down real Les Paul from a for profit company that sells stuff, not some joker on the bay or the verb. If it is profitable for Gibson to allow this, why don't they just direct sell them that way? All retailers could offer them, might take a week or two to get one, but you could walk into GC and get a body/neck.

It's weird.

rct

Why can't I buy a guitar and take all the parts off it and sell it. People sell guitars on the bay all the time and no one cry's. Whats the difference If I sell the whole guitar or just one tuner?

You can. If you paid retail and you part it out I suppose some group of suckers could help you get close to recouping what you spent. You sure aren't going into business by buying at retail and selling parts at retail, it won't work.

These guys are selling either really cut rate whole Les Pauls that they take apart and re-sell, or, Gibson is selling them new bodies and necks with no hardware of any kind. Either way I don't understand it. They seem to be the only place you can get a stripped down real Les Paul from a for profit company that sells stuff, not some joker on the bay or the verb. If it is profitable for Gibson to allow this, why don't they just direct sell them that way? All retailers could offer them, might take a week or two to get one, but you could walk into GC and get a body/neck.

It's weird.

rct

They take apart Gibsons they find for cheap but also brand new ones. The Futura SG I bought from them definitely had parts installed at one point and it was new. The guitar came on the same box that Gibson shipped to them.

Now that eBay fees on guitars they will make even more money if all else tendons equal.

They're stripping whole guitars for sure. You can find all the parts they took off each guitar on their website for sale. I just pieced together almost the entire guitar and case for $1500 shipped. They're selling on the big guitar websites for $2000 now, and will maybe drop to $1800 eventually. With all the original parts, I can get my money back all day long if I sell it. The only thing missing is the wiring harness. I emailed them to see if they still have it. If not, I can build my own for $30 in parts. NGD coming soon!

... You just gotta take your time and look around. ... And its the S-hit. And you get the pleasure of putting the guitar together with parts you want which is fun for a lot of us guitar weirdo's.

This [thumbup]

I certainly enjoying playing them, but I also enjoy putting them together with the parts I like/want. On my last Tele the body, neck, and quite a few parts came from the Stratosphere. I've had good luck with them. Though I have never bought a set neck... yet. Might consider getting a Jr. body from them though.

• 2 weeks later...

It showed up today, exactly as described. It took me an hour to re-assemble everything, set it up, and intonate it (only needed to tweak one string). Now I'm just frustrated that I can't hear it through the amp until I buy or build the electronics.

IMG_2035.jpg

It showed up today, exactly as described. It took me an hour to re-assemble everything, set it up, and intonate it (only needed to tweak one string). Now I'm just frustrated that I can't hear it through the amp until I buy or build the electronics.

IMG_2035.jpg

I think you forgot some parts

I think you forgot some parts

Yeah, they must have already sold the wiring harness. I'd like to find an original Gibson one to retain resale value I can. If not I'll just make one.

EDIT: Just found all the electronics from my exact guitar in an eBay auction. The Stratosphere wasn't selling them direct for some reason. I have a feeling I'll be the high bidder...

Probably cause someone bought it. I bough a harness from them to put together my LP Trad Pro II. It was out of a Traditional.

This one's a Classic. They just decided to put the wiring harness from mine in an eBay auction instead of selling it direct on their site. I can tell its the one from mine because the only other 2018 Classic they stripped was Pelham Blue with black plastic and this one has cream plastic on the switch tip and poker chip. I'm still not entirely sure I got the right pickguard, but I bought the only one they had for P-90s. Everything else I'm sure came out of (and will be going back into) my exact guitar.

EDIT: Just found all the electronics from my exact guitar in an eBay auction. The Stratosphere wasn't selling them direct for some reason. I have a feeling I'll be the high bidder...

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Stratosphere over the years. 1st off of eBay then their store front. Good stuff at good prices.

In my experience, if they are selling on eBay without a Buy It Now price, it will sell for less than they are asking for the same item in their store. So you might get your harness cheaper at auction than buying direct. But auctions are auctions, set a price you can be happy with and stick to it. If you don't win, don't worry, Stratosphere will list another one just like it in a few days. [biggrin]

Either way you are getting a pretty guitar. I am guessing you will like it A LOT!!!! [thumbup]

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Stratosphere over the years. 1st off of eBay then their store front. Good stuff at good prices.

In my experience, if they are selling on eBay without a Buy It Now price, it will sell for less than they are asking for the same item in their store. So you might get your harness cheaper at auction than buying direct. But auctions are auctions, set a price you can be happy with and stick to it. If you don't win, don't worry, Stratosphere will list another one just like it in a few days. [biggrin]

Either way you are getting a pretty guitar. I am guessing you will like it A LOT!!!! [thumbup]

I won the auction for the harness for $50. Now I own the entire guitar and case for $1560, which is $440 less than they're currently selling for. I can't imagine it depreciating to any less than I paid, especially since it will be all original. I can't wait to hear it plugged in. Its going to be primarily a sit-down guitar, though. Good God its heavy! No weight relief and its a dense chunk of mahogany. I'm guessing close to 11 lbs. [scared]

Archived