Gibson Brands Forums

BB Pros in SG?

hi13ts

Hi friends,

Firstly, just want to ask if anyone has put BB Pros in their SG. They mostly come with Les Pauls so I haven't had a chance to try one in an SG. The reason I'm thinking of putting them in instead of, say a BB 1/2, is because they use Alnico 5 magnets, which from what I understand, was the magnet used consistently from '61 onwards. I have 57 Classics on all of my Gibsons. Great pickups; they respond differently in each guitar, but I do notice that it might be a little subdued in the SG for my taste. I was thinking of something more breathy and chime-y like the BB 1/2, but got to looking up history of the pickups and I figured the wax potting in the BB Pros would be practical and the fact that it uses an Alnico 5 magnet would be more accurate to what it was back in the day. Any opinions?

Also, on that note, does anyone know why the 57 Classics use Alnico 2s? From what I've read, Seth Lover's design specified Alnico 5. According to Gibson, they followed that design to a T when making the 57 Classics. Clearly, if that is the case, they did not recreate it accurately. I don't want to give the impression that I'm dogging on them. They are legitimately one of my favorite pickups. Covers the entire spectrum. I'm just speaking from a mindset of historical accuracy. I read that during the late 50's the pickup builders did not always use 5s, but 2s and 3s as well. Maybe that's why Gibson decided to create the BB line and 57's with 2s. Any thoughts or facts?

Hi friends,

Firstly, just want to ask if anyone has put BB Pros in their SG. They mostly come with Les Pauls so I haven't had a chance to try one in an SG. The reason I'm thinking of putting them in instead of, say a BB 1/2, is because they use Alnico 5 magnets, which from what I understand, was the magnet used consistently from '61 onwards. I have 57 Classics on all of my Gibsons. Great pickups; they respond differently in each guitar, but I do notice that it might be a little subdued in the SG for my taste. I was thinking of something more breathy and chime-y like the BB 1/2, but got to looking up history of the pickups and I figured the wax potting in the BB Pros would be practical and the fact that it uses an Alnico 5 magnet would be more accurate to what it was back in the day. Any opinions?

Also, on that note, does anyone know why the 57 Classics use Alnico 2s? From what I've read, Seth Lover's design specified Alnico 5. According to Gibson, they followed that design to a T when making the 57 Classics. Clearly, if that is the case, they did not recreate it accurately. I don't want to give the impression that I'm dogging on them. They are legitimately one of my favorite pickups. Covers the entire spectrum. I'm just speaking from a mindset of historical accuracy. I read that during the late 50's the pickup builders did not always use 5s, but 2s and 3s as well. Maybe that's why Gibson decided to create the BB line and 57's with 2s. Any thoughts or facts?

Thanks for sharing, I did not know much of this. I would encourage you to try the BB Pros. I have them on my 2010 LP Standard. They are the main reason I got my Standard. It sounds awesome through a Marshall DSL15C.

it's easy

the bb pro have alnico 5 and the classic 57 have alnico 2

so, if you change them, you will have a brighter tone and less warm tones

i read a lot of critics about these pickups which are designed to sound with more trebles

and to have more harmonics for modern musics and to play fast licks

go and see some videos if you want to

Archived