Gibson Brands Forums

Need some help diagnosing an output issue.

KNuw

So, I just recently swapped out the pickups on my G400 with brand new EMG H4/H4A passive set. Gotta everything wired in and both pickups are working. Problem is the output is really low. I raised the pickups more and still have this issue. The volume is so low that I have to crank the gain up super high to achieve any type of distortion. I know something isn't right but everything looks fine. Could it possibly be a bad toggle switch?? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

So, I just recently swapped out the pickups on my G400 with brand new EMG H4/H4A passive set. Gotta everything wired in and both pickups are working. Problem is the output is really low. I raised the pickups more and still have this issue. The volume is so low that I have to crank the gain up super high to achieve any type of distortion. I know something isn't right but everything looks fine. Could it possibly be a bad toggle switch?? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

I don't know too much, about anything really, but maybe one of the electronic components, like a capacitor , may be "going" .Are there any other "electronic things" , besides capacitors in a "pickup" circuit ? also , check your soldering for a "cold solder" joint . If there is too much resistance due to a poor soldering job, well that may cause something, not quite right , to happen also , maybe...good luck . If you find a solution, post again. And a pic or 2 if you have time. :) again , good luck :)

I don't know too much, about anything really, but maybe one of the electronic components, like a capacitor , may be "going" .Are there any other "electronic things" , besides capacitors in a "pickup" circuit ? also , check your soldering for a "cold solder" joint . If there is too much resistance due to a poor soldering job, well that may cause something, not quite right , to happen also , maybe...good luck . If you find a solution, post again. And a pic or 2 if you have time. :) again , good luck :)

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that is soldered at this point is the pickup selector switch. Everything else uses the soderless kit that came with the EMG pickups.

Thanks for the reply. The only thing that is soldered at this point is the pickup selector switch. Everything else uses the soderless kit that came with the EMG pickups.

Well , I'm stumped :( Maybe , soon , another good person here will have more insight :) and maybe know a bit more than I :) most likely :( If you do get it fixed post again, good luck

Well , I'm stumped :( Maybe , soon , another good person here will have more insight :) and maybe know a bit more than I :) most likely :( If you do get it fixed post again, good luck

Thanks! Hopefully someone has a solution for the issue. Getting impatient with this project! Lol

Archived