Gibson Brands Forums

"Burn For You"

BluesKing777

I recorded my solo acoustic version of Phil Buckle's "Burn For You" using my Maton SRS808 Cedar over Blackwood guitar and my Shure SM58 mic direct through my Boss VE-8 > iMac.

I am very pleased with playing this little guitar and also very pleased with the dual source pickup, so here is a old tune, no eq added or anything except with the Boss....would have been real handy to have this setup 40 years back instead of POS, run straight to a nice little PA....! [mellow]

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/burn7b

BluesKing777.

I thought it sounded really cool. A unique sound. Good playing and singing, voice sounds cool. Don't know the song but like it.

Is your guitar tuned standard?

I also heard Baby What You Want Me To Do. That was awesome! You play great and have a cool voice for this style.

I really liked that! That song was new to me, but I thought it was great. As always, I'm very impressed by your playing, and also the sound quality of the songs you put up. I have just started learning to make better sounding recordings (with an iPad, an Apogee One soundcard, and an Aston Origin condensor mic). I'm not a gear person, so I try to keep the technical aspect of the hobby to a minimum. So there is quite a bit of a hump to get over. Recording well is difficult!

Lars

Thanks Lars!

Uhhh, I ran my Maton guitar pickup system (undersaddle pickup and internal mic) straight out to my Boss VE-8, and my Plain Jane Shure SM58 mic straight to the Boss VE-8 as well.

The Boss has 2 channels, one for acoustic guitars and one for mics and a whole host of stuff I don't use. Once I set it up ages ago, I try not to alter anything too much as I just wanted a basic sound to use for songs - a small amount of reverb on both channels, very small smattering of delay on the guitar channel. The vocal channel has an 'enhance' knob, which I use at 50% - it is an eq/compression effect designed for singers, they tell us.

I did nothing to the sound that came out except run it to the iMac and made a file to send here. The Boss VE-8 is just sensational! Theory is that I can use identical settings to play through a PA live. I was going to take it to a friend's place in the country last weekend to try in his nice PA, but he is coming here instead next week. So, this rehearsal studio not too far from me is advertising a special rate of $25 for solo/duos to have a practice in their room with PA and I might just take it there to see if it all feeds back!

Boss VE-8:

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ve-8/

BluesKing777.

Nicel done but that is not unusual for you. About 10 years ago I took my kid to see the Wiggles. They all played Maton guitars. With the kids rushing the stage and dancing in the aisles, it was like seeing the Dead in 1967. Only thing missing was the purple haze hanging in the air.

Thanks ZW!

I think the Wiggles got the Wobbles, or plain old Waddles, but either way the Matons they were playing would have been very, very different than mine! They were possible Australia's answer to the double x-brace Norlin!

3 Years ago, I have read, the Maton was given scalloped bracing, a whole lot of changes to modernise including a new pickup system with an undersaddle piezo with 6 separate elements and a condensor mic in the soundhole, all hooked to a preamp and controls with a mid sweep and a volume control for the mic and another for the undersaddle and a master volume!

Now mine is the hand built small body 'fingerpicker', probably a LG3 clone or Martin 00 clone dressed in Blackwood and Cedar and with a deep body - and it is stunning:

W4NTHx3h.jpg

MeQP1EUh.jpg

BluesKing777.

Thanks KC!

Hey, I plugged the Maton in last night for a play and it sounded strange, so I got out the handy battery tester I bought when I had a run of new dud batteries and they had about half a charge - they are AAA batteries instead of the usual 9v square ones - and were the batteries that were in it already. So, new AAAs plugged in. I haven’t changed the strings that came with it yet, and it doesn’t need a setup.....so good value so far! New guitars usually need strings immediately, the hands hurt after a week and off it goes for a setup, but not this time. Great!

BluesKing777.

What's That?

Well, well ...in the lyrics, there is Purple Haze just about everywhere but in the...air....but I have been to many, many places where the Purple Haze was definitely in the air... maybe it was discovered after Jimi wrote the song? [biggrin]

Jimi Hendrix Lyrics

"Purple Haze"

Purple Haze all in my brain,

lately things don't seem the same,

actin' funny but I don't know why

'scuse me while I kiss the sky.

Purple Haze all around,

don't know if I'm coming up or down.

Am I happy or in misery?

Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me.

Help me

Help me

Oh no, oh

Yeah, Purple Haze all in my eyes,

don't know if it's day or night,

you've got me blowing, blowing my mind

is it tomorrow or just the end of time?

Help me, yeah, Purple Haze!

BluesKing777.

Archived