Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Petty Signature Dove?

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

So by chance I came across a page on the Gibson website that says Tom Petty Signature Dove:

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Tom-Petty-Signature-Dove/Finishes.aspx

It has to be a few years old. If it actually got produced ,it would make him one of probably very few people who have both Martin and Gibson signatures

I tried to find more info about and came up with nothing ...

Perhaps Hogeye can fill us in?

JC

Petty already has both a signature Martin HD-40 6 and 12 string built when he was still with us. Petty, did, of course, play a Dove as well as a bunch of other Gibson, Martin and Epiphone acoustics. But never let it be said Gibson's marketing team is letting the grass grow under their feet.

JuanCarlos,

I often wondered why it was that Tom Petty never had a signature edition Gibson. I've never seen that TP Dove model though....hmmm. I must have been sleeping! :-)

I most frequently associated Petty with the J-180/Everly Bros guitar, as he's been seen with (notably in the 'Learning to Fly" video)--

, or, more often, the natural J-200.

I think Mr Petty was decidedly a multiple guitars player.

Fred

He played one of those big epiphones didn't he ?

D'you mean the Frontier - wouldn't surprise me.

Seems Petty was in lOVE with all of the great classics - electrics as acoustics.

And all the gestures, outfits and manners too. He was a walking semi-anachronistic prism that way who could blame him.

Archived