Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Bonamassa

Black Dog

So my wife and I went to see JB last night. First time I have ever seen him live. I became familiar with him watching some you tube videos of his covers. I wasn't familiar with his original music much, and I'm still not. So, I was a bit apprehensive. Plus, he's gotten some mixed reviews by members here before.

I have to say that I was blown away. He played mostly original material with some old blues covers and couple Zeppelin covers.

It was an amazing show. Unbelievable tone. He didn't have any pedals that I could see. The songs had me right away. Incredible command of the guitar. the best way I can describe most of his solos is vicious. Really intense with a lot of heart. He owned the room. The rest of the band is top notch as well.

I would recommend it to anyone who loves blues/rock. If you haven't seen him live you should. I know not everyone likes him but I'm officially a fan now.

When I saw him I had no idea who he was. I had never heard of him , and never saw a clip or a sound bite of him playing. He blew me away too. I will say he is damn good, but would be much better if he got a dedicated singer.

The problem is that times change... I think that if JB was doing what he's doing now back in 1970, he'd be a top tier artist and a household name for rock/blues music fans. This genre of music is just not that popular anymore. there weren't many young people at the show.

Saw Joe B a few years ago at a rather small venue (Anaheim Grove, approx 15,000) Front row seats. 2 hours of non stop music, no BS between songs, only a short band intro. he came out playing for cryin' out loud. He did some elec and acoustic stuff. I knew who he was, the Mrs. not so much, and she was impressed. Long story short, if you get the chance, go see him. You will not be disappointed.

I have known about Joe for a while now and finally picked up some tickets a month or so ago to go see him in December in SC. I think he's damn good and can't wait to see him live. I especially love how much he dedicates himself to keeping rock, blues, and guitar history alive. Funny story, Joe moved to my hometown just outside of Athens, Georgia for a very short period of time and while I was at the university I did some design/rendering/CAD work for a professor of mine and he kept telling me about this musician that moved into the house across the street from him but never could remember his name . Professor W. was about 72 at the time so not a surprise he didn't remember his name. So about a month or so after classes started back professor W. tells me the musician moved out and had a big tour bus and cool atv's and what not in the street riding around before he left and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out what musician could have possibly moved to our small town. Being right outside of athens (a big music town) we have musicians in the area, Michael Stipe from REM, Patterson Hood from the drive by truckers both live or lived in athens at the time but for one to move out to watkinsville seemed odd, so who was it? Then a week or so later we have a cookout at my professors house and after a few minutes of conversation I notice the ballad of John Henry is playing in the background. I say to professor W. "How do you know about Joe Bonamassa?" and he quickly replies "Bonamassa, that's the guy who lived across the street". My jaw hit the floor. Professor W. had been over to his house, hung out a little after bringing a welcome to the neighborhood cake over, met JB's parents, and then girlfriend. I was like damn, Bonamassa lived less than two miles from me and I never knew it till he left, and likely could have met him if I had only known. I've only seen one video on YouTube where he mentions living in Watkinsville, and then he says the song " the quarry man" was written about his time in our town, which is funny because there aren't any quarries in Watkinsville, they are all about 45 mins. away in Elberton. Anyways, that's my brief / almost brush with guitar star Joe Bonamassa.

Joe B is one of my absolute favs. Don't listen to the people who yawn... and dismiss as "another blues guitarist"...

he aint just "another" blues guitarist.. the guy is a f---ng monster. Check out Black Country Communion sometime (one of Joe's "projects" with Glenn Hughes and Jason Bohnam.. Especially the first and second album.

15000 is a small venue? It's not the Enormo-Dome, but to me a club is a small venue.

LOL, yeah, most of the concerts I see are in large(50-60k people range) so 15K is kind of a "small venue" for me. That said, I much prefer the 300-500 seat "small venues". In any event, go see Joe!!

Joe is playing here tonight. I just drove past his tour bus and trailer full of equipment.

He's playing at Memorial Auditorium, downtown Sacramento California.

It's about 5 blocks from my house. But I'm not going.

It's a school night. And I also don't like the acoustics in the venue at all. :(

Archived