Gibson Brands Forums

Torn...Looking for Advice

Matty1976

I’ve had my eye on another LP, but torn between two models. I already have a Traditional, Classic, and a Special, and was thinking a goldtop Tribute or a Faded in Worn Brown. I played a 2008 Faded at a local shop and it felt AMAZING with the satin finish, but he had it priced at $999 (ha!) and would not come down. I've seen them on Reverb around $600 and I would definitely prefer the older ones with satin, inlays, and covered pups. However, the 2017 Goldtop Tribute is just as desirable to me. Any advice?

I’ve had my eye on another LP, but torn between two models. I already have a Traditional, Classic, and a Special, and was thinking a goldtop Tribute or a Faded in Worn Brown. I played a 2008 Faded at a local shop and it felt AMAZING with the satin finish, but he had it priced at $999 (ha!) and would not come down. I've seen them on Reverb around $600 and I would definitely prefer the older ones with satin, inlays, and covered pups. However, the 2017 Goldtop Tribute is just as desirable to me. Any advice?

I have the 2017 Goldtop Tribute with the P90's. I've played the 2017 Goldtop Tribute with covered humbuckers. Both guitars are amazing. I love the satin finish, the feel of the neck, the unfinished wood back, the way it plays and sounds. That's pretty crazy price for a 2008 Faded when you can get a new Tribute for the same price or less. Both have the inlays on the fretboard. The Gibson logo is printed on the headstock and isn't mother of pearl or whatever they're using.

I love my Tribute and it's a keeper. I was a bit wary of it and its price but after playing it for a while, I'm definitely keeping it and wouldn't be opposed to buying another in the future. My Standard is a LOT nicer with the finish, the binding and all that but the Tribute is an awesome Les Paul and the neck and feel is very similar to my Standard.

I have a 2017 Goldtop Tribute with humbuckers and I like it quite a bit. I am not sure where you live but the last year that Gibson made the faded studios that really had that satin finish was 2016 (besides the tributes). If you are in the states, you can find some of those 2016 satin studios going new for under $600 at Guitar Center. Those are great guitars for the price. I would also recommend the 2017 Tributes, they are great guitars also. I do have to ask why you are looking at going from a Traditional back to a satin finish?

1508335408[/url]' post='1887051']

I have a 2017 Goldtop Tribute with humbuckers and I like it quite a bit. I am not sure where you live but the last year that Gibson made the faded studios that really had that satin finish was 2016 (besides the tributes). If you are in the states, you can find some of those 2016 satin studios going new for under $600 at Guitar Center. Those are great guitars for the price. I would also recommend the 2017 Tributes, they are great guitars also. I do have to ask why you are looking at going from a Traditional back to a satin finish?

I’m not so much looking to replace my Trad, just increasing the herd :)I’m in the US in Tennessee, not too many local options for Gibsons, so online is about my only option other than Craigslist. There’s something about the straight up appearance of the faded that I love, but the Goldtop, come on. It’s a Goldtop! Gotta have one at some point. I’m definitely looking for something satin for this next acquisition.

Thanks for the responses!

Archived