Gibson Brands Forums

string ground

Hall

The wire goes to the lower post stop bar I believe.

Thanks, FZ. That is what I always thought. So, to reinstall an after factory Bigsby 7 that had been on it, I expected there should be a ground wire at the rear plate near strap button and Bigsby screw holes. That's what has me confused ... it's not there. No evidence of a ground for the Bigsby anywhere. It has to have a ground at installation ....... doesn't it? Humm.... Guess I'll leave the vibrato in the case for now and forget that whim. I have two other 335s with stop bars and since this one once had the included Bigsby on it, I had thought seriously about putting it back in place.

So, do you have a Bigsby on our 335 right now or do you want to install one?

One (B7 after factory) was previously on it and is now in the case with all the screws, etc. I was just going to reinstall, but there is no ground. That is why I wondered if maybe the saddle had been the string ground instead of the stop bar. As far as me doing a ground, just a bigger project than I am up to try, re: skill, prior and tools.

If you have a multimeter, you could take off the strings and check for continuity between the bridge studs and ground wire

Thanks, Dub. Going to have one to use tomorrow. Then I'll know. It's always been the stop bar in my experience with 335s. The Bigsby was for sure on the guitar in its previous life. Has to have a string ground somewhere. I'm sure not going to install and string with a Bigsby before I know! I have a Towner Tension Bar at home. That would solve the problem the easy way if the vibrato wasn't a 7. Don't think I can use it with a Bigsby 7.

Thanks, Dub. Going to have one tomorrow. So then I'll know. The Bigsby was for sure on the guitar in its previous life. Has to have a ground somewhere.

No prob. Another thought..

Since we all know how difficult it is to access the electronics (including the ground wire) in a 335, you could touch one probe on the bridge stud and stick the other probe in the output jack. The sleeve of the output jack should connect to ground, so continuity between a bridge stud and the output jack sleeve indicates that the bridge stud is grounded

Again, it would be necessary to remove the strings to pinpoint which part is grounded

If you have stop bar bushings and the ground wire is located there, a vibramate would ground the bigsby

Sometimes, "where there's a will" ! The factory ground is at the treble side bar stud as suspected. But, while discovering this I found a black off the bridge pickup pot and it is the Bigsby ground. The wire had retracted and fell inside the body at the time of the removal I suppose. Took some real improvising with a sewing needle and a long stiff wire to make a sort of spear and then coax it out the plate screw hole without breaking the solder connection on the front end. Kind of a patience of Job thing. I got lucky and it's done. Bigsby is on the guitar once more and I have a good ground. Thanks to those who showed interest on this one. Whew. - Hall

Archived