Gibson Brands Forums

What does these factory setup notes mean?

livemusic

Document that came from factory shows a checklist and...

Action 12th L6 H4

1st L23 H16

I know you measure from top of fret to bottom of strings, but can you explain those numbers?

To me, action is higher than I like.

At the 12th, these are in 64ths so the bass E is 6/64" (.094") and the treble E is 4/64" (.062")

At the 1st, these are the decimal vales so the bass E is .023" and the treble E is .016"

Hope this explains it.

As I age, the strings get lower to my liking. Most of mine are set up to

12th L4 H3

1st L22 H12

Dave

Yea, I get some complaints from friends. I do keep a couple set higher in case I’m going to a Hootenanny or Bluegrass Jam where volume and playing harder is more important.

This is where the talk about loosing tone with a low action comes from

Of course a guitar is gonna sound like poo if you’re trying to make yourself be heard over the others at a jam when you’re action is low

People will struggle for years playing a guitar with action that doesn’t suit them because they’ve read a post by a fella who ‘go’s to jams regularly’

And the guy who isn’t that talented both tends to whollop his guitar because he’s ham fisted and he’s also the type who blabs opinions all over the place

Edit

Dave , this was in no way directed towards you

You just made me think of all the guys who turn up to open sessions here for Irish trad

This is where the talk about loosing tone with a low action comes from

Of course a guitar is gonna sound like poo if you’re trying to make yourself be heard over the others at a jam when you’re action is low

People will struggle for years playing a guitar with action that doesn’t suit them because they’ve read a post by a fella who ‘go’s to jams regularly’

And the guy who isn’t that talented both tends to whollop his guitar because he’s ham fisted and he’s also the type who blabs opinions all over the place

Edit

Dave , this was in no way directed towards you

You just made me think of all the guys who turn up to open sessions here for Irish trad

I also find that many solid body electric guitar players tout that people should set their acoustic guitar action similar to the height on a solid body electric...and, frankly, it's impossible to reason otherwise with them. And, their guitars have such low action on them that it's impossible for me to comprehend how all of their guitars can have such low action. And, then when they see another's normal action guitar, it's like they can't wait to scream "high action" about another's guitar.

One can't make this stuff up.

Now I have no problem if players like their action how they like it. It's acting like every else' is wrong cause it's not like theirs that is ?

As the late Kurt Vonnegut (not a guitar player to my knowledge) would say, "And, so it goes."

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I also find that many solid body electric guitar players tout that people should set their acoustic guitar action similar to the height on a solid body electric...and, frankly, it's impossible to reason otherwise with them. And, their guitars have such low action on them that it's impossible for me to comprehend how all of their guitars can have such low action. And, then when they see another's normal action guitar, it's like they can't wait to scream "high action" about another's guitar.

One can't make this stuff up.

Now I have no problem if players like their action how they like it. It's acting like every else' is wrong cause it's not like theirs that is ?

As the late Kurt Vonnegut (not a guitar player to my knowledge) would say, "And, so it goes."

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

When I first got my HD-28 in 98 I at some point started sanding down the saddle to get the action more like my electrics. One day playing at a party my strings started to buzz. I made a temporary shim out of a popsicle stick and was amazed at how much more volume I got. I then thought it was the break angle that did this but have since learned that it is the height of the stings off of the top. The optimum height is 1/2", and as it happens all of the 6 new acoustics I bought recently has this measurement. This height creates leverage for the saddle and bridge to vibrate efficiently. The break angle does have an effect though, it makes for a brighter picking attack.

I’m at the low end of the spectrum. I setup guitars for friends who are not worried about volume but just pick and strum harder and need more clearance over the frets to keep from buzzing. I also have bluegrass freinds that really strum hard to get more volume and be heard. The bass strings get a little higher for them.

I’m at the low end of the spectrum. I setup guitars for friends who are not worried about volume but just pick and strum harder and need more clearance over the frets to keep from buzzing. I also have bluegrass freinds that really strum hard to get more volume and be heard. The bass strings get a little higher for them.

I totally get that

Hope you know where my penny worth comes from

Interesting way of denoting this measurement.

On acoustics I shoot first for 8 - 10 thou relief, a decent ramp angle behind the saddle and saddle height for tone and volume, then 1st strings 1+2 14, strings 3+4 16, strings 5+6 18, sometimes that is fine tuned and sometimes I'll get a buzz somewhere, blobs!!! and have to start again but check first, sometimes there's a reason like a proud fret. I'm not usually too concerned with the 12th fret providing they end up around 2 - 2.5mm, I'll bring that down slightly if I can but it's usually good for me in that range. As I play in the open strings it's more important for me to get a soft low action at the 1st fret with nice tone and volume, it's a formula that works well for me. I'm no solo or lead player. All my guitars are the same so it's easy to transition between them, great....

My mate and I developed this formula and both use it. We discuss guitar manufacturers setups a lot. Doing our own, ie. starting with blanks, it can take anywhere from 4 - 6 hours to get your perfect setup, a cost we both agree guitar companies can't afford as that cost would have to be passed on to the consumer and we'd only complain, cause we're like that? Also, when you really get down to it, everyone has their "ideal" custom setup, a revelation for me less than a year ago. I wish I learned this many years ago as a few guitars I sold because I didn't like the way they played could have been greatly improved for me with my custom setup. I have one guitar that fitted in this catagory, I didn't play it much but when I changed the setup everything changed, it's a player now. So, all that time and money by a guitar company to do a setup for me would be wasted, cause I'll only do my custom set up anyway. We both agree that guitar companies assume this. We think part of the consumer's problem is we don't assume it when we need to. We need to take doing our own custom setup into account when purchasing a guitar.

Plan, work out what your custom setup is by testing your guitars, or someone else's, and find the one you love playing the most, feel wise that is for your playing style, the one you just enjoy playing, take the measurements, if possible, compare that measurement with other guitars with a similar set up to work out if that measurement consistently gives you the playing feel you like. If it does, then you're pretty close to your custom set up. Part of that custom setup includes measuring outside string width from strings 1 - 6 at the nut. My target when custom making my own nuts is 37 - 37.5mm and getting an even spacing between strings, easier said than done! My mate for example has an ideal 36 - 36.5 mm outside string measurement. A guitar with a 42mm nut width will only give you around 38mm due to needing a minimum 2 - 3mm at each end of the nut.

But ohhh, I'm rambling again.............

I set up all my acoustics with Martin SP Phosphor Bronze Mediums 56-13. I like a straight stiff neck with just the slightest detectable amount of relief. I go for .105" for the low E and .075" for high E at the 12th fret. I make sure I get the 1/2" clearance from the D string to the top at the saddle. With all my guitars with this set up I get a consistent tone, volume and feel for all my guitars. Just finished tweaking the new Advanced Jumbo I got, the thing is a Canon, Boom!

Actually.. I do agree there is a point where, if the action is set too low on an acoustic, the guitar does lose some resonance which alters how the guitar projects sound. Kinda like using really light strings. That will rob you of a lot of your guitar's sound too. Of course, it wont matter much if you're using a pickup most of time.

just less vibrations to work the top, with extremely low action or very light gauge strings.

5/64s L:E and 4/64s H:E @12th fret - with almost no relief is right around what works for me.

Here's my take...

I personally prefer to have volume available if it's a guitar I use at an acoustic jam or songcicle. I hold a bi-weekly jam and go to a couple of song circles a month, so in my case it is a factor. I'd much rather have the volume if needed and play softer if I need less volume than visa versa. If I am playing a gig, it doesn't really matter because I'm using a pickup (99% of my gigs I bring my own sound to control the sound.) I would lean towards having acoustic volume if it was a gig when I don't control the sound as well as for an open mic where I don't control the sound. If I am on the couch at home, volume is not a factor (and I often prefer smaller size concert size guitars).

Everyone's needs may, of course, be different.

Just my two cents.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Target? Volume is an essential part of a guitars purpose. If you want a target go to a shooting range.

tru dat..

one of the guys I work in a duo with now and then, he goes for low action and light strings (10s I think..) my j200 and taylor GS both easily have twice the sound projection of his takemine. action set is very close to identical on each, I use 12 guage strings.

tru dat..

one of the guys I work in a duo with now and then, he goes for low action and light strings (10s I think..) my j200 and taylor GS both easily have twice the sound projection of his takemine. action set is very close to identical on each, I use 12 guage strings.

All my new Gibsons came with 53-12 strings, they only stay on long enough for ne to decide if the guitar is a keeper, usually 1 day. Then the Martin Mediums 56-13 go on, gotta have that punch and volume, damn the calluses.

Still curious OP - what guitar did this specs sheet come with? My most recent Gibson didn't have that .

I usually get one. Sometimes they're blank and sometimes they actually match what I have.

They usually have the same numbers written on them (hmmmm?????)

40D78E2F-2236-4E47-9D40-4F4879E04D24_zpsomqm1qvu.jpg

Yes , target .

Something to aim for ya know , a goal . In this case ‘more volume’

There’s no need to be annoyed.

If you’re going to post theories , and you do , then can’t a guy ask questions ?

Isn’t that the point of the thing ?

So the louder a guitar is the better it is ?

Is that what you’re saying ?