Gibson Brands Forums

D'Angelico Excel EXL-1 Stupid Deal

RevDavidLee

Like the Rev. I already have one in the Natural finish so am not in the market but had a quick look to see what they are currently costing across this side of the Atlantic and, lo-and-behold, Thomann are currently offering the Natural Tint version for a staggeringly reasonable £629.03...

https://www.thomann....sgaAu0MEALw_wcB

P.

uk vendor guitarguitar are offering black version for £649 or a 'today only' at £599

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/161201304604008--dangelico-premier-archtop-exl-1-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7_WAoo__1gIV6RXTCh0zrgFTEAQYAyABEgJaNvD_BwE=

Where are these being made now?

The last one I tried was Korean.

Curious that the description in the GuitarGuitar ad states;

"D'Angelico's flagship archtop returns..."

...which sort-of suggests there might have been a re-think about how to market these guitars.

I had a look for one online (curiosity only) about a year ago and they were conspicuous by their total absence on the usual UK sites.

Interesting to compare specs for the Thomann and GuitarGuitar examples.

The first has 7-ply binding; a Kent-Armstrong p'up; an ebony 'board and a hard-shell case. The G-G one has single-ply binding, a "D'Angelico" p'up; a rosewood 'board and a gig-bag.

The natural one also has highly figured back and side laminates whilst, of course, the solid-black has no need for such frippery.

FWIW my own example is just about the nicest-playing guitar I own. The neck-profile, listed as being a 'C' shape is, in fact, very slightly asymmetrical and extremely comfortable. It's an absolute pleasure to have this guitar. Anyone remotely tempted really should jump right in and get one whilst the getting is good.

P.

holy molly,, if that was in natural, I think I would not be able to help myself....

I......wonder how much diff/better/what ever these are.

The fit and finish on mine could hardly be bettered.

Action was lowered a bit and that was it. Pretty much perfect straight out of the box.

Have a google; there's probably some other stupid deal on these where you are.

Just to help you along here's the gratuitous snap of mine;

DA_for_thread.jpgoriginal_zpspyypsoqk.jpg

Pip.

Interesting to compare specs for the Thomann and GuitarGuitar examples.

The first has 7-ply binding; a Kent-Armstrong p'up; an ebony 'board and a hard-shell case. The G-G one has single-ply binding, a "D'Angelico" p'up; a rosewood 'board and a gig-bag.

The natural one also has highly figured back and side laminates whilst, of course, the solid-black has no need for such frippery.

P.

I had to re-check the Thomann when I read your comparison. That one does not have an ebony board (or I would likely have jumped on it!) but there sure is a lot of difference. All things concidered, the Thomann is the better deal IMO.

BTW, Since I returned the Flaxwood last year, Thomann have removed me from their mailing list.

I had to re-check the Thomann when I read your comparison. That one does not have an ebony board...

My apologies to all for the mis-information and M-E is quite correct.

msp_thumbup.gif

The Thomann offering also has a rosewood 'board.

This is a definite change from the specs when I bought my (ebony 'boarded) example in 2015.

For £630 though? Seriously??? If I didn't already have one I'd jump at the chance. I do consider ebony for the 'board to be a more fitting choice for this particular model but at the same time I have to say I love rosewood 'boards and I'd still be more then happy to offer up the folding.

Sorry to hear about the 'Un-Friending', M-E.

'Treat them just as well as they treat you' is a reasonable stance to adopt!

P.

Archived