Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! Finally got my 335!

eldorado2001

I got an amazing deal in Chicago a couple weeks ago.

Advertised as a 2016 floor model but in fact a new 2017 ES335.

I've wanted one since the first time I saw one in the 70s but could never justify the cost.

Was less than the price of many Les Paul Studio models.

XV4Che4.jpg

AtluA7h.jpg

OkY1n8P.jpg

Thanks! The intonation and action were already set just right, it plays like the proverbial butter, the pickups sound great and it didn't need a thing when I got it home, except a strap. I had always wanted a cherry red one, but I couldn't pass up the lightburst. We'll now grow old together.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always thought it unusual the way the neck and body have such a drastic contrast on a 335. It would look much sharper if the neck and body were the same color. And if they continued the binding and connected it.

I thought that, too. But a maple body will never be the same color as a mahogany neck. I got used to it after a got a couple of them. You could always get a Pelham blue one or other solid color and never see the neck wood at all.

I've been looking at a couple of used 335's. Both Cherry Red. One is a 2007 plain top. Almost no wood grain showing through the finish. Dot neck. The other is one of the "floor models" from CME. A 2016 Figured Top. Block inlays. Both seem to be in excellent condition. Asking price for the 2007 is $2000 and $1850 for the 2016.

What's the "better" buy here?

Archived