Gibson Brands Forums

40 years ago

Tman

Our chief technologist (a guitar player) where I work came into my office and said did you realize it's been 40 years since the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash? I remember it well. I was high school in Jacksonville Arkansas and people were wearing black armbands out on the smoking ramp (are smoking ramps legal any more?). I just read about the crash because I didn't remember any details. Did you know they attempted an emergency landing because they ran out of fuel? Unbelievable. RIP Ronnie, Steve and Cassie and flight crew who died that day.

Yes and the dumb a-ss pilot put down the landing gear, instead of keeping the gear retracted, before they got over the trees and that is what made them crash even worse. The wheels caught the tree branches.

Really unbelievable.

Yeah man, my hometown was pretty torn up over this. About like they are with Petty now. Since Jacksonville was just up the road we felt they were local heroes. I was only 13 and just getting into rock music, but these albums immediately make me think of those years: 8 tracks, cassettes, backyard parties, air guitar, first experiences with girls, it all comes rushing back.

Yeah man, my hometown was pretty torn up over this. About like they are with Petty now. Since Jacksonville was just up the road we felt they were local heroes. I was only 13 and just getting into rock music, but these albums immediately make me think of those years: 8 tracks, cassettes, backyard parties, air guitar, first experiences with girls, it all comes rushing back.

My first experiences with girls back then were all rejections. They would say "Gimme three steps mister".

Seriously though our high school rock band was playing Freebird in 76 when I was a sophomore. The seniors had the balcony. When we were playing the solo outro, the seniors were jumping up and down so hard that the balcony started to collapse and material started falling on the people below who were showered with debris. The show was stopped and people were made to evacuate. True story. It didn't happen because we were any good, the song was (is).

I remember reading about the crash in the newspaper the following day. I was seriously bummed. They are one of my all time favorite bands and I had every intention of seeing them in concert on the Street Survivors tour.

Greatest Southern Rock Band ever.

Period.

The discipline they played with at Knebworth at that age was un-real.

While I think they turned into a Cover Band of themselves and probably shouldn't have, it HAS been a pretty good cash cow for the families of the survivors and what the he11 is wrong with that?

Twenty years ago I didn't think so, but as I think about it now, Ronnie would have probably been cool with that.

Archived