Gibson Brands Forums

New ES 175 D unpacking

GuitarGeordie

I have just unpacked my new ES 175 D 1954 reissue. The serial number suggests 2015 build as expected.

Unexpected were:

1. Light rusting on strings 1 through 3.
  2. Light rusting on pick up mounting screws
  3. No protecting film on pick guard or pick ups
  4. Some scratching on pick guard from play

Having paid £3.4k, I had expected 'virgin' condition as I have experienced with all my other Gibson

and Epiphone and (oh) Gretsch instruments.

Paranoid or picky? Free consultations required.

I have just unpacked my new ES 175 D 1954 reissue. The serial number suggests 2015 build as expected.

Unexpected were:

1. Light rusting on strings 1 through 3.
  2. Light rusting on pick up mounting screws
  3. No protecting film on pick guard or pick ups
  4. Some scratching on pick guard from play

Having paid £3.4k, I had expected 'virgin' condition as I have experienced with all my other Gibson

and Epiphone and (oh) Gretsch instruments.

Paranoid or picky? Free consultations required.

where was this purchased from?

if bought from a store, and it was hanging around for a while on display, I guess this is not something that would be out of the ordinary. I could not find fault with Gibson for this.

If you bought it from a large online supplier, (like here in the States, Sweetwater for example) these are usually out of the factory packaging only long enough for them to check em over, grab photos for their gallery, then I would assume back in the boxes and off to the storage area unless you knowingly bought an opened box model, or 2nd hand.

Too picky!

1) Strings don't matter, buy some new ones (although I would have thought the store would have replaced them beforehand).

2) Light rusting on screws...going to happen anyway if played regularly. You can always replace them.

3) No protective film on pickups? I've never bought a Gibson that had protection on the pickups. The pickguard normally does, but surely you'd take it off anyway?

4) Light scratching on pickguard? Again, going to happen if you intend to play it.

I don't mean any of this to sound dismissive, I just don't think of these as problems really.

Congrats on a great instrument though, I love 175's.

Too picky!

1) Strings don't matter, buy some new ones (although I would have thought the store would have replaced them beforehand).

2) Light rusting on screws...going to happen anyway if played regularly. You can always replace them.

3) No protective film on pickups? I've never bought a Gibson that had protection on the pickups. The pickguard normally does, but surely you'd take it off anyway?

4) Light scratching on pickguard? Again, going to happen if you intend to play it.

I don't mean any of this to sound dismissive, I just don't think of these as problems really.

Congrats on a great instrument though, I love 175's.

bingo ...

I, too, agree with all Cody said.

From what I've read there were only 50 examples made so if they were all shipped to dealerships and those dealerships, understandably, put them out on display to attract purchasers it's debatable whether any of the run would be truly in 'virgin' condition two years after production ended.

Slight oxidisation on 2-year-old steel strings is hardly a surprising state of affairs but if you really do feel ever so slightly cheated about the general condition of the guitar you could always make a polite call to the store and ask if they would send you a couple of packs of strings as a friendly gesture towards not having described it as ex-demo.

FWIW the P-90 version would have been my choice as well. Stunning guitar. Many congrats!

Pip.

Archived