Gibson Brands Forums

Another Breakthrough

Victory Pete

I have always bent over the ball ends of the strings with my fingers when installing them, so they would "try" to curl up under the bridge plate. It was a rather hit or miss system as sometimes the ball would not line up perfectly. I like the balls rounded side to contact the bridge plate so as to not dig into it. For the first time ever I tried something different. I grabbed my Craftsman needle nose pliers I have had for 3 decades and they perfectly fit into the ball, who knew, gave the ball a quick twist and there you have it. The ball actually disappears in the hole, sitting right up against the bridge plate. This allows the pins to seat all the way down with no wedging with the ball, so they don't pop back up. Also pulling pins can now be done barehanded once the strings are slackened. I believe I can actually hear a difference in tone as well. I seem to have more sparkle and brilliance, similar to the improvement when I added taper to the pin holes but maybe a bit more subtle. The difference is mostly noticeable on what was a very bassy guitar, my 2016 Western Classic. When I got it I was disappointed as it was too bassy with limited trebles. An open C cord was dull. Now it is almost like a 12 string with lots of chime. Your mileage may vary, as you may not have truly tapered holes, Gibson and Martin don't taper them anymore. I tapered mine with Fish Glue if you don't already know, I will put a link at the bottom. With the tapered hole this trick makes sure the ball is pushed forward snuggly. If your holes are not tapered the effect may not be as pronounced. Now if you don't believe me that is your problem, I am in sonic heaven. I got to tell you, this last year has been very exciting with all the new guitars and new innovations I have stumbled upon.

https://www.facebook.com/278179168883771/photos/a.1236240893077589.1073741880.278179168883771/1236241386410873/?type=3&theater

3Fd7xmW.jpg?1

u8Q4Tec.jpg?1

Ro7kj7s.jpg?1

.......new innovations I have stumbled upon.

New innovations? I think I first bent a ball end crook sometime in the late 70s. Still do from time to time but not as a matter of course.......but I never attributed any sonic improvements to it.

Your snarky reply to 40 is at least part of the reason you don't get much traction on the forum with your "innovations".........the other part being that most of your "research" is slipshod experimentation that only seem to hold water with you.

You must have to struggle with many simple things.

Yep. I'm CDO - OCD in alphabetical order.

And actually - I was being serious.

Like Buc, I've been putting a bend at the end of the string by the ball for years. My point was - I try to bend it so the groove in the spool/ball lines up with the bridge pin. Sort of agreeing with you in a backhanded way. Peace Out.

New innovations? I think I first bent a ball end crook sometime in the late 70s. Still do from time to time but not as a matter of course.......but I never attributed any sonic improvements to it.

Your snarky reply to 40 is at least part of the reason you don't get much traction on the forum with your "innovations".........the other part being that most of your "research" is slipshod experimentation that only seem to hold water with you.

Sorry, everything I have proposed has actually happened in reality. I am very careful about making assertions that are not true. It just seems here there are a lot of Grumpy Old Men who do not like to admit to anything other than what they convince themselves is the truth. Kind of like the current very temporary President.

Yep. I'm CDO - OCD in alphabetical order.

And actually - I was being serious.

Like Buc, I've been putting a bend at the end of the string by the ball for years. My point was - I try to bend it so the groove in the spool/ball lines up with the bridge pin. Sort of agreeing with you in a backhanded way. Peace Out.

Oh, sorry, but you have a history of being sarcastic and belligerent.

Victory, i think bending end ball is what every acoustic guitarist does when changing strings, to my knowledge. This is old news.

It ensures that it is pushed out of the hole by the pin, sits correctly outside the hole and thus does not damage the plate hole.

Was your point mainly about sound?

Victory, i think bending end ball is what every acoustic guitarist does when changing strings, to my knowledge. This is old news.

It ensures that it is pushed out of the hole by the pin, sits correctly outside the hole and thus does not damage the plate hole.

Was your point mainly about sound?

Bending with the right size needle nose pliers is the difference. Like I said, I had bent them with my fingers for years, you cant get a nice tight bend that way. My first intention was only to keep the ball pushed as far forward on the bridge plate as possible. I only noticed an improvement in sound after the fact.

What do you mean by 'the ball disappears into the hole' ?

I too always bend the ball end of the string when changing strings

Mainly to stop the pin catching the ball on the way through and pulling it away from the bridge plate

It gets pushed forward and out of sight.

Archived